Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

constipation

(13 Posts)
spandau1980 Mon 28-Dec-15 11:43:12

Hi
Causing my self a mild panic
I'm really blocked up
I'm cramping in bowels all the time with the urge but no results
I tried stool and breathing but in desperation I have stained
Also managed to evacuate a few by standing up
Now really scared I'm actually causing g harm to the pregnancy and may start pre term labour
I'm 21 weeks plus 4
This is baby no 5
Also have Hypermeresis gravidarum so drinking plenty is a no no and keeping most things down is a no go to sad
Pls can some one reassure.me my baby can't be pushed out by trying to poo

GoApeShit Mon 28-Dec-15 12:17:19

You are not going to give birth by trying to have a poo. hmm

Book a GP appointment and they will advise. I was given some liquid stuff after I had DS. Worked wonders but without any nasty side effects.

spandau1980 Mon 28-Dec-15 12:29:41

Rang maternity and they said if I had any bleeding or waters break.. was hoping for some reassurance but just made me feel worse confused

GoApeShit Mon 28-Dec-15 12:43:24

They're going to say that whatever the reason you call. What else did they say? Your sentence is incomplete.

Are you seriously telling us you've had four babies already and never experienced constipation before? hmm

VagueIdeas Mon 28-Dec-15 12:45:24

If it's a hard blockage right at the, ahem, exit then you need glycerine suppositories. They're totally safe.

Movicol is fantastic (powder mixed into water/squash) but if drinking is difficult then you need suppositories.

Daysleeper1985 Mon 28-Dec-15 13:09:49

I was admitted a few weeks ago as I hadn't been for 3 weeks, they even had the surgical team down. Movicol movicol movicol MAX 4 a day though as you can risk electrolyte imbalance. Avoid anything that 'bulks' like fibrogel as you can't add the necessary liquids with HG. DONT take stimulant laxatives as this genuinely could irritate your cervix. In my experience by that point glycerine suppositories were useless. Movicol will definitely work, but you need to give it a good week of 3-4 a day.

spandau1980 Mon 28-Dec-15 15:17:28

Really gonna struggle with movicol as it may make me vomit ...
Yep go ape I have had a twin preg and single then gap of 9 yrs then dd 3 years ago .. constipation was bad with dd but not sons..
Just it's the constant cramping to go and then being run down with HG this preg has took it's toll. I v got to 21 weeks of being so poorly iv needed hospitalizations to keep hydrated and worry something ll f up now
Can't go thru the HG again.
Tried three places for lactilose but no where has it.. Grrr not that that ll be easy to keep.down either.

Maternity said not to starin amd to call if I had bleeding or loss but to go out of hrs doc for some gentle laxitives

I have senna kot from 1st trimester admissions but don't know if ok to use now I'm further along x

emmac3616 Mon 28-Dec-15 15:44:45

I have to drink 2 glasses of prune juice a day to avoid this... I hate it but it has avoided me getting to this stage... have you tried that? honestly, its magic!

VagueIdeas Mon 28-Dec-15 18:14:18

No Senokot, they are stimulant laxatives.

Suppositories will work if there's a blockage very far down.

Picklesauage Mon 28-Dec-15 19:34:40

I second movicol, it says to make it up with lots of water, but I cold never manage that when pregnant so I just make it up with as little water as possible and took it. I know drinking can be nearly impossible at times but his does seem to be the best in pregnancy.

I also second the glycerine suppositories, attack the problem from both ends!

spandau1980 Mon 28-Dec-15 22:13:17

Maternity said senna was ok to use !?

Got suppositories they.make me cramp summat chronic....

Love pregnancy -not

Daysleeper1985 Mon 28-Dec-15 23:41:44

Both surgical registrar and obstetrics registrar stood very firm on no stimulant laxatives, including Senna. At any point.

spandau1980 Tue 29-Dec-15 17:25:21

Funny how I was prescribed senna at 10 weeks ...
Wish there was some consistency with maternity care

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now