Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Reduced movement - 26 weeks

(10 Posts)
Heavenscent86 Sun 27-Dec-15 17:54:42

Hi today I have only felt my baby for definite 3 times. There has been the odd movement that may have been the baby but I'm getting concerned now. What should I do? At 26 weeks do I contact my local midwife or do I need to call the hospital I'm booked at? And I guess, do I need to call them at all as I have still felt some movements? Usually baby is very very active.

honeysucklejasmine Sun 27-Dec-15 18:01:09

Phone your local MAU - the number should be on your notes. If not, ring the "24 hour" line and ask to be transferred. At my hospital, I ring the 24hr CLU line and get transferred to "triage" as there isn't an MAU as such.

I've been in twice so far. Stay calm, be clear with them what you've felt. At 26 weeks they will just monitor the heartbeat for you with a doppler, rather than the full works strapped to a machine style monitoring.

unimaginativename13 Sun 27-Dec-15 18:28:28

Do you mean 3 times in 26 weeks?

It's still very early still for regular movement, what did your midwife discuss you at your last apt?

Also where is your placenta?

If it's anterior it makes a difference.

unimaginativename13 Sun 27-Dec-15 18:31:39

Sorry saw you meant today.

The guidelines are to go with what's normal for you. Is 3 times a lot less than what you usually feel? Then ring DAU.

Have you also sat down and had a fizzy drink?

5BlueHydrangea Sun 27-Dec-15 18:34:01

Drink something very cold. But always call the experts for advice if you're worried, that is why they are there.

1frenchfoodie Sun 27-Dec-15 18:39:30

Worth ringing normal MAU number but their 1st advice may be be to drink cold drink and lay on your side and try to feel movements for 30-60 mins. Usual advice is to start monitoring what is normal for your baby from 28 weeks as sooner they have more space to move and may be masked for some time. If your placenta is at the front (anterior) movements can be harder to detect - though mine is anterior and 1 have felt strong movements, mainly at the sides of my belly, from 20wks oneards. But if I am busy and not 'tuned in' then it can be easy to miss all but the most vigourous kick.

Starfish25 Sun 27-Dec-15 18:55:47

When your worried, I've been told to have either a very cold drink or a full fat fizzy drink then lie on your left side and stay there nice an quiet. It can take up to an hour. If all else fails play the baby some music an place it on your tummy, worked for me 👍 xx

Heavenscent86 Sun 27-Dec-15 20:44:13

Hi thanks for all the advice. I had tried the usual stuff but have now tried playing the baby some music. I don't know if it's coincidence or not but it did get moving then. I wasn't sure how loud to play it so I hope I haven't deafened the poor little thing confused. I'm very glad to have felt some movements. I hope it keeps it up or I will be off for a checkup.

Starfish25 Sun 27-Dec-15 22:44:06

Glad you felt some movement, just keep a mental note of how many times the baby moves and if you still don't feel happy then I'd go the hospital. Hope all goes well xx

ALR123 Sun 27-Dec-15 23:10:18

Just so you know, my hospital wouldn't take me seriously till I was 28 weeks when I had reduced movements.
They told me to call my midwife to use a doppler and that was that. They wouldn't let me go in and told me it's not normal to have felt a pattern yet (I was 27+4! )
Since 28 weeks however they've been really good. I am 37+4 at the moment and have been in for the 5th time this week for the same reason.
my baby moves constantly day and night. Every few weeks it'll just stop totally and it lasts for around 30 hrs.
Every time I turn up I feel embarrassed like I'm a pain in the ass but they always take me seriously and scan me within a few hrs too so don't ever feel like you are wasting their time.
Hope everything is back to normal for you now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now