Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

thrush! What can I do?

(19 Posts)
Holly34 Sat 26-Dec-15 21:40:48

Need advise thrush just appeared and I dont have remedies apart from using a medical cream which apparently I can't atm. 34 weeks

dementedpixie Sat 26-Dec-15 21:44:43

You can use pessaries and thrush cream in pregnancy but have not to take the oral tablet.

Roseformeplease Sat 26-Dec-15 21:53:30

DSis has been driven mad and nothing works. She got some relief with garlic (yes, really, up the chuff).

StillYummy Sat 26-Dec-15 21:59:20

Keep hydrated, iron your knickers smile

Junosmum Sat 26-Dec-15 22:04:11

Yep to the cream. And wash the 'affected area' with vinegar twice a day. Under no circumstances use any body wash or bubble bath and spend as much time knickerless as possible.

originalusernamefail Sat 26-Dec-15 22:07:13

My GP gave me a cream and a pessary at the same gestation. Just not allowed to use the oral tab as far as I know. Need a prescription though the pharmacist wouldn't just sell it to me.

Flingingmelon Sat 26-Dec-15 22:16:12

Cut down on sugar. Makes a big difference.

thanks

CorBlimeyTrousers Sat 26-Dec-15 22:17:44

Yes the GP prescribed cream and pessary to me in late pregnancy with DS1.

donkir Sat 26-Dec-15 22:20:56

Yes to cream and pessary. I had thrush a few times while pregnant. A pharmacist won't sell it to you but I got some from sainsburys as it was on the shelf and just went through a normal till no questions asked.

seven201 Sat 26-Dec-15 22:41:29

You can buy the pessaries on Amazon by the way. Don't use the applicator when pregnant, just use a finger. I have thrush that never leaves and I sympathise, it's horrid.

I started a thread similar to this a week or so ago and someone recommended Optibac probiotic tablets. They guarantee for the good bacteria to reach the vagina or something. I've only been using them a few days so I can't say if they work yet but could be worth a try. The pessaries sort of keep it under control for me but it never goes. My consultant suggested using a pessary every two weeks for the rest of my pregnancy so I might try that.

seven201 Sat 26-Dec-15 22:43:04

Something to bear in mind if you buy thrush treatment on Amazon that every time you open Amazon it suggests you buy more. Potentially embarrassing! I logged into my account at work then quickly closed the page again!

Holly34 Sun 27-Dec-15 10:56:35

Thank you all!!
I have few things now to try. Love the last comment shock

TiggeryBear Sun 27-Dec-15 14:29:27

I walked into boots & asked for some canestan, no problems. I checked with the pharmacists that I could use it in pregnancy & all fine. Hope you get some relief soon.

Goodbetterbest Sun 27-Dec-15 14:32:58

No sugar, white flour, fruit, potatoes or mushrooms. Eat lots of live natural yogurts. A two day detox should sort it.

Georgeofthejungle Sun 27-Dec-15 20:55:25

I have been getting this with antibiotics through my pregnancy. Dr gave me caneston duo and cleared it up well but before I got that it was driving me nuts! I slept with a wet face cloth between my legs and just shook it out and refolded to keep it cold. Much better than itching all night!

Partybugs Sun 27-Dec-15 20:56:54

I used femfresh intimate wash. It really helped to calm the itch.

Georgeofthejungle Mon 28-Dec-15 10:31:16

Can second Partybugs suggestion on femfresh. I have been using that now and definitely helps things - think as its not so harsh.

Paperblank Mon 28-Dec-15 15:59:23

I always have a pessary/cream combo in the cupboard just in case! I've had Thrush more times than I care to remember so am used to the signs and use it as early as possible, anything to stop that awful itching.

Thrush - just one more delightful aspect to pregnancy

fluffypenguinbelly Mon 28-Dec-15 16:10:54

In my last pregnancy the chemist sent me to the shop across the road to buy live natural set yogurt. Worked after a couple of days.

Even if DH did ask how I managed to get it to stay put without a mess. He was most suprised when I said it was for eating and not applying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now