Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Visiting someone with para-influenza in ICU whilst pregnant.. A definite no no?

(6 Posts)
hannahbanananana Thu 24-Dec-15 20:50:44

My Mum was admitted to ICU after an asthma attack earlier this week. She's just come off the ventilator but is still quite poorly. They've said its been caused by something called para influenza, but not been any more clear than that.. not totally sure what it is to be honest, from what I can tell just a regular type of flu. I haven't been to see her yet as I live quite a distance away, but I was planning on going to see her tomorrow. She's in a side room and any visitors have to wear as mask etc. Can I definitely not visit? I'm coming up for 37 weeks pregnant. My sister is also 15 weeks pregnant. We were all really hoping to spend some time with her on Christmas Day. I know she'll totally understand if I can't, but thought I'd ask in case anyone knew.

Iloveonionchutney Thu 24-Dec-15 20:53:46

Can you phone the ward and ask them, they'll be the best people to tell you. Hope she recovers soon flowers

YouStillLookLikeAMovie Thu 24-Dec-15 21:00:18

Ask the ward. I hope it is ok.smile

Finola1step Thu 24-Dec-15 21:02:43

Talk to the ward. See what they advise. It may well be fine.

I was 39+2 when my dad went in with pneumonia. He was very, very poorly and fragile. He was not expected to recover. I went in on the first day but didn't go in again. The environment itself is emotionally very difficult. Dad made it very clear in his own way that he was worried about me being there.

Dad was able to rally and he pulled through. DD was late and I didn't have my first contraction until I knew he was up out of bed drinking his tea. I knew then that he would be ok. He lived for another 2.5 years and I will always be grateful that he got to know dd.

Another thing to consider is how your mum would feel. My dad was desperately worried that I would get ill and it would hurt the baby.

Whatever you decide, I hope your mum is better very soon. And congratulations flowers

LumpySpaceCow Thu 24-Dec-15 22:54:27

Ring the ward and ask- they will have their own rules/infection control recommendations. If they say it is up to you and you want to go, just be really strict with hand hygiene and Wear any protective equipment available.
Would I go? Yes I would. I Spent the majority of last year (pregnant and then with an ebf baby) in hospital with my mum until she died earlier this year and just made sure I was excellent with my infection control measures.
Hope your mum makes a speedy recovery.

madsaz76 Thu 24-Dec-15 23:41:28

I'm a doctor. My occupational health assessment was to avoid all flu type patients as complication rates high in pregnancy. So you need to know how long since her onset of symptoms abdomen whether they think she is contagious.

If she is you probably shouldn't go as she sounds like she is recovering and the risk to you and baby is relatively high. Ring the ward

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now