Talk

Advanced search

Possible chest infection when pregnant

(9 Posts)
Carrah12 Wed 23-Dec-15 22:51:01

This is my first post so I am not sure if I have put this in the right place.

I am hoping to get reassurance really as I do suffer from pregnancy anxiety on and off as I worry about something affecting the baby. I generally have it under control but sometimes it gets triggered.

My husband has been really ill- we have been together over 8 years and I have never seen him this ill. He is starting to get better now but has been going on for at least 4 weeks.

I am 20 weeks pregnant and have just caught it off him- terrible cough, incredibly sore throat/ear, lots of phlegm, exhaustion etc... I haven't been this ill in years.

I am managing to keep fluids down and apart from one day/night, don't have a temperature but am basically bed ridden.

This has really triggered my pregnancy anxiety which is making trying to recover a lot worse.

I am hoping to hear from others who were ill in pregnancy and their babies turned out fine. Thanks in advance.

bittapitta Wed 23-Dec-15 22:55:05

Your baby will be fine, make sure you stay hydrated. But importantly, see your GP or consult your midwife about whether to take antibiotics - pregnancy makes you immune compromised so it's harder for you to fight off the illness and it might last longer.

FootFlapperage Wed 23-Dec-15 22:55:26

It happened to me when I was 5 months pregnant. I was prescribed anti-bios & everything turned out fine! DO is a happy healthy little fella. Get well soon flowers

FootFlapperage Wed 23-Dec-15 22:56:37

DS..

DearTeddyRobinson Wed 23-Dec-15 22:58:10

I have been ill in both my pregnancies, my immune system basically seems to give up the ghost. I'm currently feeling the same as you, 29 weeks pg, and while it's awful, and I also suffer from anxiety, I'm not worried about this impacting the pregnancy.
Babies are tough little things and I suppose are getting some immunity from bugs in uterine?!
I would give your midwife a call to put your mind at ease, take paracetamol and hot orange/lemon drinks to soothe your chest, and try to rest as much as you can.
Hang in there, it's crap isn't it? flowers

Brindler Wed 23-Dec-15 23:13:42

OP I've just pretty much had the exact same thing! One night of fever and then sore throat which required antibiotics, which then turned into the most horrendous head and chest cold with complete exhaustion! It's so horrible isn't it. Oh and to make matters worse the antibiotics have given me thrush too. Def get to the docs, hope you feel better very soon

tinyme135 Thu 24-Dec-15 00:07:07

I had this (got it again a month after recovering from the last one) got that ill I couldn't get out of bed had to start mat leave earlier. when I last had it I had two lots of antibiotics as one week wasn't clearing it up quick enough. try not to worry (harder than it sounds) but babs will be fine smile

get well soon

Carrah12 Fri 25-Dec-15 15:38:52

Thanks so much to everyone who replied and the advice. I am finally feeling like I might be turning a corner today and am trying to remain calm. Thanks you!!

Iammad Sat 26-Dec-15 12:14:59

Had this twice in the last 4 weeks! Still feel like poo now.
I'm almost 37 weeks so I'm hoping I'm better by the time baby comes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now