Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

A bizzare probably naive question....

(11 Posts)
hettiebaby Wed 23-Dec-15 15:56:48

Afternoon everyone,

I just have a question about periods and getting pregnant. Is there any form of relationship between having 'strong' periods (as in really heavy 8-9 days long periods every month without fail) and being fertile???

Just wondering if it means getting pregnant would be easier or if it makes completely no difference whatsoever.

Sorry for the random question, just wondering for the future and things....

PickleBot Wed 23-Dec-15 16:10:33

In my experience no link, or actually the opposite. Heavy periods can be linked to PCOS which can lead to difficulty when ttc. I get monster periods and took 2 years to conceive DC2

Jackie0 Wed 23-Dec-15 16:16:17

Regular periods are useful from a calculation perspective.
Heavy long periods are not an indication of fertility and may warrant a check up

hettiebaby Wed 23-Dec-15 16:23:14

Its been like this since I started my periods age 11....

Ive been checked up etc and everything is fine no signs of anything wrong apparently its just normal for me. Lucky me i guess!!hmm

Mslg Wed 23-Dec-15 19:15:51

Lucky you having long, heavy periods? 😞 Mine were long and heavy with the coil in and thankfully haven't suffered since I had it removed. Long and heavy is also a sign of endometriosis which also affects fertility.

mmmuffins Wed 23-Dec-15 19:30:21

Just to add another thing to the list, heavy periods can be caused by fibroids, which can also negatively affect your fertility.

Kaytee1987 Wed 23-Dec-15 22:21:56

No I don't think so. I have a 32 day cycle wit 3 day light periods and got pregnant 2 and a half months after stopping using contraception.

hettiebaby Thu 24-Dec-15 09:55:04

Ooh just a bit more to worry about then haha grin the joys of being a woman.

Amazing to see so many different experiences for the same issue though.

Mslg Thu 24-Dec-15 11:59:29

I know, it sucks 😟 Nobody knows what their fertility will be like until they start ttc.

skankingpiglet Thu 24-Dec-15 22:11:12

I have no idea of any link but my experience has been (most months) medium flow periods lasting 5 days usually, but awful cramps with accompanying sickness and days in bed. With DD I fell pregnant on a very one-off condom splitting incident having only come off the pill 2 weeks earlier blush This time we were trying in a very half-arsed manner for 6 weeks, but only dtd 3 times.

SaraC8 Tue 08-Mar-16 14:44:56

I know this is an old thread but interesting as it's something I worried about before getting pregnant. I had been on the pill since I was 16(31 now) with a couple of short breaks, I always had regular but very light periods, 2/3 days max, even when I came off my pill. But only had 3 periods before I got pregnant after coming off the pill, so don't think how heavy they are affects things

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now