Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

true knot

(4 Posts)
Llouh Tue 22-Dec-15 21:15:44

I was told after the birth of my ds that he had one in his umbilical cord. After googling it, it actually seems quite scary.

Does anyone know if there is a way to prevent it for happening or if it is something that is likely to occur again in another pregnancy?

LillyBugg Tue 22-Dec-15 21:17:11

I'd be interested in this, I think it's unlikely though. Haven't googled for fear of the 'scary' you mention. My DS had the chord around his neck and had a true knot. I kept telling people he was moving loads and loads but I think people thought I was exaggerating,

Llouh Tue 22-Dec-15 21:24:21

Yeah, googling is always a bad idea!

Apparently it only occurs in 0.3% of pregnancies so I'm hoping it was just a one off thing. Ds is fine and was 10lb odd so I'm sure it didn't have a great effect but it would still be good to know!

LillyBugg Tue 22-Dec-15 21:32:03

I didn't realise it was so rare. And to be honest haven't thought about it all that much but I did know it was in my notes and I remember the midwife showing me the knot like 'oooh look at this!'. You tempted me into a quick google and it does say that big babies are more prone. DS was 7lb 11oz at 37 weeks when I had him. So whilst not big, he was big for how many weeks I was. I don't think there is anything you can do to be honest, just be aware of normal movements so if baby is distressed hopefully you would pick up on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now