Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Probably stupid question re Braxton Hicks

(5 Posts)
DearTeddyRobinson Tue 22-Dec-15 21:01:04

I am 29 weeks pg with DC2, and I think I had my first ever BH last night. Feel v embarrassed that I am not sure, but I don't think I had any with my first pregnancy, at least that I noticed anyway.
Anyhow I was woken up in the middle of the night last night feeling like I was doing the hardest sit up ever - totally involuntary, almost like vomiting? No pain but sort of shocking. I thought BH were 'painless tightenings' but this was more like a major spasm? Sorry I'm not explaining it very well but I don't know if it was just a muscle cramp (had been very sore all day) or one of these near-mythical BH contractions?!
Can they be more obvious in 2nd/subsequent pregnancies?
Sorry Google isn't really helping me!

Wigeon Tue 22-Dec-15 21:06:38

I didn't have any BHs in my first pregnancy, but definitely did in my second, in the third trimester - they were unmistakable - whole bump went rock hard, really weird, but completely painless. Sounds like yours might have been one.

DearTeddyRobinson Tue 22-Dec-15 21:14:26

Thank you! I know it doesn't really matter but I am very curious!

Britishblue99 Wed 23-Dec-15 21:07:32

BH shouldn't wake you up. They sweep over your bump and are supposedly painless though can be very very strong close to due date. I had a lot with twins then also with subsequent and current pregnancy. Seem to be more prevalent in the evenings in my experience.

DearTeddyRobinson Wed 23-Dec-15 22:52:59

Ok thank you. Nothing since so it was possibly my stomach muscles stretching/cramping I suppose.
Isn't pregnancy fun? hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: