Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Palpitations

(7 Posts)
littlecharmer2016 Tue 22-Dec-15 16:44:54

Anyone else get really bad palpitations on pregnancy? I'm 7 weeks and getting them really bad - as a health anxiety sufferer I'm getting quite scared sad xx

Snarklepoo Tue 22-Dec-15 17:43:46

Hi LittleCharmer...

Suffered a bit from this too. I have a history of tachycardia and while I am asymptomatic at the moment, I've had weird moments where things don't feel quite right, usually if I'm moving around a lot, lifting or getting out of a chair. I am 8 weeks today.

From what I've read, the volume of blood in your body increases quite a bit during the early stages, causing your heart to have to work harder. Apparently it's quite normal to get a bit more out of breath than usual doing things like walking up stairs.

One of the worst things I've found about the early stages has been persuading medical professionals to take an interest before my booking appointment ( still have a week to go). I'm having other problems too, mainly with depression and anxiety and am having to be very persistent to get any help or information.

You know your own body better than anyone. If something's not feeling right, remember you are entitled to ask your GP, Midwife Service or local Early Pregnancy Unit for help.

Don't panic ( most likely you are fine and being anxious makes everything worse ) but do get checked and keep asking questions.

Cheesypop Tue 22-Dec-15 17:50:47

Hi, I'm now 33 weeks and have suffered with palpitations since very early on. I have a history of heart murmur and mild palpitations prior to pregnancy.

Your blood volume increases making them seem more apparent. When you get further along you are advised to lie on your left side but I find this impossible as it feels like I'm having a heart attack! Throughout I have been advised just to keep an eye on them and if I feel breathless or dizzy to see the doctor. Thankfully I've not felt either so I've just been getting on with it.

If you're worried try to see your GP perhaps, but in the meantime try to relax if possible, it is a normal symptom of pregnancy for some people and is hopefully nothing sinister. cake

littlecharmer2016 Tue 22-Dec-15 18:01:36

Thanks Ladies! Makes me feel a bit better
my partner is a paramedic so I'm constantly asking him to check my blood pressure and stuff - it's driving him mad sad he's assured me it's fine and nothing serious - just can't help but worry

thanks again for the advice xxxxxx

PhilPhilConnors Tue 22-Dec-15 18:05:04

I had this and started taking spatone, no idea if it actually helped or if it was a placebo effect but it stopped.
Palpitations can be linked to low iron levels.

SmashleyHop Tue 22-Dec-15 18:09:16

I've had the odd episode now that I'm in my 3rd trimester. I echo what a PP stated about lying on my left. It feels like my heart is going to explode out of my chest! However palpitations on their own can be normal in pregnancy and unless you find yourself dizzy or out of breathe along with them just try to keep an eye on it.

littlecharmer2016 Tue 22-Dec-15 18:13:35

Thanks PhilPhil will definitely try that I've got some in my medical carbonate! I'll get on that straight away xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now