Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I eat gravadlax?

(15 Posts)
zippyswife Tue 22-Dec-15 14:37:42

33 weeks pregnant and dh is making gravadlax for Christmas Day. I've just read the nhs guidelines but it's not entirely clear to me. Can I eat this or not?

PhilPhilConnors Tue 22-Dec-15 14:42:01

I'm not sure I would if it's homemade.
Raw salmon can have listeria in it.
Bought gravadlax should be ok, as there is rigorous testing in both the raw salmon and the finished product.

DinoSnores Tue 22-Dec-15 15:01:36

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/is-it-safe-to-eat-sushi-during-pregnancy.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=216

"Some fish used to make sushi, such as smoked salmon, doesn't need to be frozen before it's used, because smoking kills any worms in the fish. Other methods, such as salting or pickling, also make raw fish safe to eat."

I'd read that as fine as gravadlax is salted.

Highlove Tue 22-Dec-15 15:21:54

Oh - so home cured salmon (cured with a salt-based cute) is ok then? I thought I couldn't have it. Great news! X

Highlove Tue 22-Dec-15 15:23:16

Oh - didn't mean to give you a kiss. Although having learnt I can have the salmon does make me want to kiss someone!

zippyswife Tue 22-Dec-15 15:38:00

Yes makes me want to kiss someone too. So have one from me xx

DinoSnores Tue 22-Dec-15 17:57:27

Ooh, I've never been kissed on Mumsnet before! fwink fgrin

glueandstick Tue 22-Dec-15 17:59:19

Yes it's fine. And very good for you as it contains lots of essential oils. You should go to town on it and enjoy every mouthful.

NHKX2 Tue 22-Dec-15 21:35:16

My husband is Swedish and we make our own every Christmas. I'm 35 weeks and not planning on holding back!

zippyswife Tue 22-Dec-15 22:01:37

This is all good news! For those eating it will you freeze and defrost first or just make and eat (dh made it today so don't think we have time to freeze and thaw?)

zippyswife Tue 22-Dec-15 22:02:07

Dino- you have now wink

Highlove Tue 22-Dec-15 23:46:28

Mine's made and too late to freeze. I'm relying on that salt now..!

NHKX2 Wed 23-Dec-15 10:53:40

Ours is being made from a frozen fillet that we're defrosting then curing, but it's only pre-frozen since it was flown in from Sweden. I'm pretty sure the curing alone kills anything harmful. Based on all the recent food-borne illnesses in the news, you're more likely to get ill from apples or ice cream! (And God forbid they add ice cream to the "risky foods" for pregnant women list!)

glueandstick Wed 23-Dec-15 11:42:50

If anything bad can live through the curing process then it deserves a medal. It'll be fine fresh.

Missingcaffeine Thu 24-Dec-15 06:15:08

I hope it's okay as I've just eaten loads of homemade Gravadlax!! Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now