Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do other animals suffer as we do?

(7 Posts)
socktastic Tue 22-Dec-15 09:06:45

Do pandas experience pregnancy sickness and go off bamboo?
Do dogs develop a super-er sense of smell than normal?
Do sloths sleep more?
Is there such a thing as a literal moody cow?
Or are all these wonderful experiences reserved for humans alone?

Junosmum Tue 22-Dec-15 09:20:56

Horses certainly get moody, and uncomfortable!

BexusSugarush Tue 22-Dec-15 10:55:35

Every time someone compares a human pregnancy to an animal one in the sense of 'my pig/cat didn't fuss this much when carrying a handful of babies, and you're only carrying one!' I just want to rip their throat out.

MrsJayy Tue 22-Dec-15 11:00:06

I watched a programme and a pregnant orangutan got sick and off her food

SpaggyBollocks Tue 22-Dec-15 11:07:51

and definitely the actual childbirth is a lot more risky in humans than animals because of our comically massive heads.

some scientists talk about the first three months of an infant's life being the fourth trimester. most baby animals are born with some ability to look after themselves (look at fawns, who are running an hour after birth) but if we were to stay in the womb any longer our huge heads would never make it out.

InsufficientlyCaffeinated Tue 22-Dec-15 11:08:05

I watched a programme that featured a kangaroo giving birth. The tiny joey crawled out of it's mother on its own and up her fur to put itself in the pouch. Looked so simple and painless. Rather jealous.

DangerMouth Tue 22-Dec-15 11:13:39

Dd2 was early and her head circumference was on the 98th centile, l consider myself lucky in that instance!

Dh and l were talking about bf last night having stopped at 3 months with dd2 and 8 with dd1. I wondered if in say 100 years people would be like, you put up with 2 hourly feeds and hours of cluster feeding why?

Maybe not, but l do think we've got some further evolving to do smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now