Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What to do??? - First time pregnancy

(2 Posts)
Shan12396 Mon 21-Dec-15 23:20:21

I've never posted on this site before but I really need some non judgemental advice for my own peace of mind.
I'm 19 years old, 20 in two months time. I have been in my first ever serious relationship with my partner for 9 months, 4 days ago I found out that I'm pregnant. I do not have any children and I have never been pregnant before, I have spoken to my family who have been supportive, as well as my partner and his family who have been fantastic. My partner has told me that he would like to keep the baby, but whatever I choose to do he will support me.
I am just so confused on what I should do, I don't think I am ready to have a child, I'm not financially stable, I'm still living at home with my parents and there are so many things that I am yet to experience which I don't think are possible with a child to look after which all make me think that the best thing to do would be to have a termination, but at the same time I don't think that I could go ahead with getting rid of a baby that is growing inside of me and is purely relying on me. On the pregnancy test (clear blue) it said that I am only 1-2 weeks pregnant, but from the date of my last period my doctor has estimated that I am around 4 weeks. Has anyone got any helpful advice on what I should do? I'm so confused sad

WelliesTheyAreWonderful Tue 22-Dec-15 00:52:59

Hi there!

Firstly, you and only you can make this decision. But it's great that you have support from all sides, you may find talking to them about everything and exploring your options will help you. Just try not to make anyone pressurise you into the wrong decision.

We planned our pregnancy for years - medical reasons caused us to have to wait but then we conceived really quickly. It was a surprise, so even though it was what we planned and we were delighted I was MASSIVELY scared. I think I said 'Oh f##k' about a thousand times the day I found out alone, but I also had massive moments throughout the pregnancy where I questioned how on earth we'd manage. I think it's pretty normal to feel that you're not ready. Obviously you'll have to think about the practicalities though, how you will afford things, including the scenario that you and your partner split up. How much practical/financial support do you think you will get from other people? There will be a lot of times where you see your friends being all carefree and doing stuff you can't (at that time anyway), but being a parent is also an amazing experience. Incredibly hard going, but amazing.

Clearblue tests give you an approximate number of weeks since conception, but doctors date your pregnancy from your last period. Conception usually takes place mid-cycle so you'd add 2 weeks to your Clearblue result - that's why there's a difference. You're still very early days though, so remember you don't have to decide right now. Take time to think about what is right for you. Good luck and best wishes in whatever you decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now