Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How far to travel how late in pregnancy?

(20 Posts)
Blerg Mon 21-Dec-15 09:41:37

I am 36+4 and planning to head an hour and forty-five minutes drive away from the hospital on Christmas day to relatives (will be 37+1). Seeing as I was induced last time (DD born 42+3) I think this is fine, but a friend thinks I'm mad. Especially as I will have toddler (2 year old) and will be travelling with DH in a car that has needed a lot of attention lately!

So is this risky? I have had a straightforward pregnancy, though with more Braxton Hicks at this stage than before.

Nousername2015 Mon 21-Dec-15 10:03:06

Is that 1hr45mins away from your hospital or any hospital? We are heading to family 2hrs away over Christmas (will be 36 weeks) but taking everything that we would need to go in and bring a baby home with. I'd say as long as you travel prepared then you don't need to worry. Maybe worth mentioning to your midwife though?

gemsparkle84 Mon 21-Dec-15 10:11:50

I would defo do that I think you'll be fine.

Jibberjabberjooo Mon 21-Dec-15 10:26:51

I would do it, just take your maternity notes and a bag with you. Is that the nearest hospital? I would just be aware of any nearer ones. But yes I would go.

SweepTheHalls Mon 21-Dec-15 10:27:31

Absolutely fine grin

mamas12 Mon 21-Dec-15 10:43:48

If you feel up to it just be prepared
Take your notes and hospital bag car seat for baby etc
Oh and let the family you're staying with to prepare for a poss longer visit ifbyoundomgo into labour

Blerg Mon 21-Dec-15 11:04:25

Hi all, thanks for the replies. Yes, the 1hr 45mins is the distance from my hospital. No idea where the nearest one to them is.

Runningupthathill82 Mon 21-Dec-15 11:11:29

Absolutely fine! But then I travelled 2hrs from "my" hospital the day before my due date. Had the bags in the car just in case.

Brummiegirl15 Mon 21-Dec-15 11:55:43

I'm travelling to my parents for Christmas and I'll be 35 wks. We'll be taking hospital bag, notes and car seat just in case.

I'm not worried about being there as it's my old family home and the hospital there is only about 15 minutes away - and it's where my "home friends" have given birth to their babies so it not a strange hospital to me if that makes sense?

It would be worth finding out where the nearest hospital to where you'll be.

Hopefully you'll never need it but there is always Sod's law!!!

Tangoandcreditcards Mon 21-Dec-15 12:00:48

I traveled 1h 40 from home/hospital on Sat (when I was 38+4). With my toddler in tow too.

I also delivered DC1 at 39+2 in 3hrs so it was a bit risky I suppose, but you can't put your life on hold!

So obviously I think that sounds fine. Just make sure you've got your notes and hospital bag.

Pootles2010 Mon 21-Dec-15 12:02:25

You'll be fine, just make sure you know where your nearest hospital is to where you're staying, and keep your phones charged up.

Stylingwax Mon 21-Dec-15 12:05:42

I'll be 38 + 3 with my second on Christmas Day. I'm not going anywhere, but more cos it's a great excuse not to have to go anywhere and deal with the usual Christmas family traumas.
At 36 + 2 however I did a 3 hour train journey, and at 36 + 4 drove 2 hours (each way). Having said that in my first pregnancy I lay on the couch immobile from 34 weeks so it really depends how you feel :D

Jenijena Mon 21-Dec-15 12:08:55

At 40+1 (or 41+ 3 by 'my' dates, which seemed more accurate when he arrived) o drive an hour away by myself. Enjoy yourself!

Purplehonesty Mon 21-Dec-15 14:38:20

Oh yes I would go, would hurt to google the nearest hospital to where it are staying tho just in case.

Dixiechick17 Mon 21-Dec-15 15:41:28

Just make sure you have your notes with you and find out where the nearest hospital to where you'll be is.

I went to my friends hen do more than an hour awau when I was 36+4 and just made sure I had my notes with me just in case.

Junosmum Mon 21-Dec-15 17:44:14

I was told not to travel more than an hour from the hospital after 37 weeks, but that may be due to placenta previa. If your midwife hasn't mentioned anything then I'd assume any distance you are happy with would be fine.

Oysterbabe Mon 21-Dec-15 22:43:11

It's fine. We'll be 4 hours from my hospital at the same stage. Just taking bag and notes and prepared to go to the nearest hospital if needed.

goodnessgraciousgoudaoriginal Tue 22-Dec-15 07:31:23

It's definitely the knife edge of when I would personally travel so far from the hospital. You will definitely need to bring your notes and and emergency bag of stuff should the unexpected happen. Agree that it would be minimum levels of sensible to google the nearest hospital, etc.

1frenchfoodie Tue 22-Dec-15 08:19:54

Glad most people think ths is fine as I'll be commuting 1.5/2h from my hospital daily til 37wks. And plan a 6h trip for a wedding at 37wks. My notes will clock up a lot of travel miles smile. Cue some research on nearby hospitals...

29redshoes Tue 22-Dec-15 08:44:32

I'd look up the nearest hospitals, but otherwise yes I'd go. I'm not particularly happy with our hospital though, so the idea of giving birth elsewhere is quite attractive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now