Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Unwashed (cooked) mushrooms- tell me I'm being stupid!

(19 Posts)
GunShotResidue Sun 20-Dec-15 20:02:47

I had a lovely cottage pie for tea, cooked by my FIL. Whilst I was doing the dishes I realised the leftover mushrooms on the side were unwashed. I hadn't though about it before, but I doubt the ones in the pie had been washed, and now I'm panicking about toxoplasmosis.

Please tell me I'm being silly!

FishWithABicycle Sun 20-Dec-15 20:03:49

You're being silly.
You will be fine.

PotteringAlong Sun 20-Dec-15 20:04:40

You are being silly.

GunShotResidue Sun 20-Dec-15 20:30:21

Haha, thank you. I'm still worrying but I'm going to try and take my mind off it.

museumum Sun 20-Dec-15 20:31:49

You're being daft. Mushrooms are farmed indoors in sterile "soil".
I say "soil" because it's not really soil due to being sterile.

GunShotResidue Sun 20-Dec-15 21:10:05

Thank you so much, that's very reassuring!

Mummamayhem Sun 20-Dec-15 21:11:29

Yeah silly

LBOCS2 Sun 20-Dec-15 21:13:04

I never wash mushrooms, fwiw. I sometimes rub them on my trousers to get the mucky bits off. My trousers being extremely clean, of course grin

rainbowstardrops Sun 20-Dec-15 21:31:39

You're not supposed to wash mushrooms apparently as they contain so much water anyway. You're supposed to wipe them. if you can be arsed

Towelonthedoor Sun 20-Dec-15 21:33:20

They have been cooked don't worry. Mushrooms are grown in very careful conditions!

ilovehotsauce Sun 20-Dec-15 23:45:16

Really? You wash mushrooms? hmm

TheBestChocolateIsFree Sun 20-Dec-15 23:47:56

What pp said - normal supermarket mushrooms aren't grown outside where animals could crap on them.

CwtchMeQuick Sun 20-Dec-15 23:48:15

My mother peels mushrooms confused

I flick the mud off if I can be bothered

Also, you'll be fine

ElfOff Sun 20-Dec-15 23:48:42

Definitely worrying about nothing. Wouldn't have been anything on them anyway PLUS they were cooked and therefore any bacteria/harmful organisms would have been killed. Relax. (Coming from someone that really worried about toxoplasmosis when pregnant!!)

EvaBING Sun 20-Dec-15 23:51:55

In Ireland we would fondly say 'Ya feicin lug ya! Sure isn't it cooked?'

PerspicaciaTick Mon 21-Dec-15 00:04:21

I completely agree with everything everyone else has said. I'd also like to suggest that, if you aren't planning to use all the mushrooms in a recipe then you wouldn't bother washing the ones you weren't using (because they won't last so well once they've been washed). Just because the leftover ones hadn't been washed/cleaned/wiped, doesn't mean that the ones in the pie hadn't been washed/cleaned/wiped.

GunShotResidue Mon 21-Dec-15 10:41:20

Thank you all! I'm feeling much more sane this morning!

sepa Mon 21-Dec-15 14:19:13

I never wash any fruit or veg!
My excuse is you need some bacteria to build your immune system grin

Mouthfulofquiz Mon 21-Dec-15 14:29:21

Anyone that washes mushrooms needs their head testing. You'll be fine grin
Wash it down with a slab of Brie and a runny egg!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now