Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

Unwashed (cooked) mushrooms- tell me I'm being stupid!

(19 Posts)
GunShotResidue Sun 20-Dec-15 20:02:47

I had a lovely cottage pie for tea, cooked by my FIL. Whilst I was doing the dishes I realised the leftover mushrooms on the side were unwashed. I hadn't though about it before, but I doubt the ones in the pie had been washed, and now I'm panicking about toxoplasmosis.

Please tell me I'm being silly!

FishWithABicycle Sun 20-Dec-15 20:03:49

You're being silly.
You will be fine.

PotteringAlong Sun 20-Dec-15 20:04:40

You are being silly.

GunShotResidue Sun 20-Dec-15 20:30:21

Haha, thank you. I'm still worrying but I'm going to try and take my mind off it.

museumum Sun 20-Dec-15 20:31:49

You're being daft. Mushrooms are farmed indoors in sterile "soil".
I say "soil" because it's not really soil due to being sterile.

GunShotResidue Sun 20-Dec-15 21:10:05

Thank you so much, that's very reassuring!

Mummamayhem Sun 20-Dec-15 21:11:29

Yeah silly

LBOCS2 Sun 20-Dec-15 21:13:04

I never wash mushrooms, fwiw. I sometimes rub them on my trousers to get the mucky bits off. My trousers being extremely clean, of course grin

rainbowstardrops Sun 20-Dec-15 21:31:39

You're not supposed to wash mushrooms apparently as they contain so much water anyway. You're supposed to wipe them. if you can be arsed

Towelonthedoor Sun 20-Dec-15 21:33:20

They have been cooked don't worry. Mushrooms are grown in very careful conditions!

ilovehotsauce Sun 20-Dec-15 23:45:16

Really? You wash mushrooms? hmm

TheBestChocolateIsFree Sun 20-Dec-15 23:47:56

What pp said - normal supermarket mushrooms aren't grown outside where animals could crap on them.

CwtchMeQuick Sun 20-Dec-15 23:48:15

My mother peels mushrooms confused

I flick the mud off if I can be bothered

Also, you'll be fine

ElfOff Sun 20-Dec-15 23:48:42

Definitely worrying about nothing. Wouldn't have been anything on them anyway PLUS they were cooked and therefore any bacteria/harmful organisms would have been killed. Relax. (Coming from someone that really worried about toxoplasmosis when pregnant!!)

EvaBING Sun 20-Dec-15 23:51:55

In Ireland we would fondly say 'Ya feicin lug ya! Sure isn't it cooked?'

PerspicaciaTick Mon 21-Dec-15 00:04:21

I completely agree with everything everyone else has said. I'd also like to suggest that, if you aren't planning to use all the mushrooms in a recipe then you wouldn't bother washing the ones you weren't using (because they won't last so well once they've been washed). Just because the leftover ones hadn't been washed/cleaned/wiped, doesn't mean that the ones in the pie hadn't been washed/cleaned/wiped.

GunShotResidue Mon 21-Dec-15 10:41:20

Thank you all! I'm feeling much more sane this morning!

sepa Mon 21-Dec-15 14:19:13

I never wash any fruit or veg!
My excuse is you need some bacteria to build your immune system grin

Mouthfulofquiz Mon 21-Dec-15 14:29:21

Anyone that washes mushrooms needs their head testing. You'll be fine grin
Wash it down with a slab of Brie and a runny egg!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now