Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Was it planned ?

(25 Posts)
Notrobusta Sun 20-Dec-15 06:45:55

I am expecting a much wanted and planned for third baby. The amount of people who have asked us if it planned is amazing. I appreciate that our age gap between baby and next child is large (7 years) but I still think it is really rude.

I suppose I am being a little sensitive but I am starting to get a little angry now although smile and say yes it is planned, to be met with shock and disbelief.

Any tip son handling such comments?

Arfarfanarf Sun 20-Dec-15 07:09:01

"You realise you are basically asking me about my sex life, dont you? Did i have sex intending to get pregnant or did i do it recreationally and have a contraceptive failure"

Too bold? grin

helloelo Sun 20-Dec-15 07:14:48

"Did you plan on being so rude?"
(I'm pg again and ds is under 1)

Peppapigallowsmetoshower Sun 20-Dec-15 07:19:15

Love it arf!

I got this too. My son is 2 soon so it's not even the age gap! I got it because I had pnd and really struggled with the newborn stage/adjusting my expectations vs reality etc. I said at the time that I'd never do it again as it was so very difficult. I wasn't lying, I believed it and am still frigging terrified but I love my son so much and really wanted him to have a sibling so we PLANNED to have another, we PLANNED to extend and complete our family, we timed it, we tried and hey presto, were expecting. I've been met with some "oh these things happen" and many shock faces.

If it's announced, I always just say 'congratulations, what lovely news'. It's common manners.

Rpj16 Sun 20-Dec-15 07:19:37

"Yes if course, you didn't plan your children?"

"We have been trying for several years, yes it was planned, thanks for asking"

If its a stranger..."yes it was planned, I get asked all the time too, do people ask you? How far along are you?" Looking at their stomach no matter if they are pregnant or not (Might be a bit rude!)

A lot of my work colleagues asked me if it was planned (it certainly was!!) I just said we had been trying for some time so it was expected. Gets annoying though, at times I felt like saying, 'no and I've missed the abortion cut off, thanks for bringing it up' just to make them fuck off! Lol.

Now all I get is, 'do you know what it is?' ...uhhh a baby!? I tell them the sex which is followed by 'is that what you wanted?'

And also loads of advice and tips of women who have never been pregnant and don't have children who are younger than me. (Granted I unfortunately look about 16 which makes me look irresponsible when I am actually 27!)

Sorry long responce. Touched a nerve! Congratulations with your pregnancy!!! :D how far along are you? flowers

sepa Sun 20-Dec-15 07:26:26

I HATE being asked this. After 10 years together you think I suddenly forgot how to take the pill. Of course my child is planned ffs!

My reply is usually "does it matter if the baby was or wasn't planned?"

I find it really insensitive to be asked. My sister was an oopsie baby and during an argument between my mum and dad she found out and she struggles with the concept and believes that she is a mistake which is such a nasty way to think of yourself or any child. It's a bloody rude question to as if someone's child is a mistake!

CuppaSarah Sun 20-Dec-15 07:27:47

First time I was repeatedly asked if my pregnancy was planned. It was, but being 23 people seemed to think I was too young to be a parent. So I ended up saying DD was a surprise as it was less awkward than the whole 'but why would you choose to have a baby?!'

This time round people just compliment the age gap we'll have between DD and the baby. Which stings as we wanted a smaller age gap but it didn't happen. Why can't people just congratulate me and then leave their opinions to themselves.

1frenchfoodie Sun 20-Dec-15 09:30:00

i vote you use arf's response smile. Not Been asked was pregnancy planned much but when I was at the bank changing accounts to my married name the cashier worked out I'd got married at 5 months pregnant and gave me a bit of a judgy 'ooh, pregnant when you walked up the aisle'. Ended up saying we'd been engaged for over a year so the intent was there but bet arf could have helped with a better line.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Sun 20-Dec-15 09:35:25

I never cared tbh. Had a big gap between children and people were making conversation. Friends and family weren't asking about my sex life, they were talking about a very big and life changing event and how that fitted in with my plans in general.

I think mostly people are trying to be friendly and interested. Their intentions were nearly always kind ime.

BrienneofQarth Sun 20-Dec-15 09:41:34

I had a group of friends ask repeatedly if I conceived at one of their wedding receptions. Repeatedly. In the end I asked them if they were really desperate to know when I'd been having sex with my husband? And no, it wasnt their wedding.

Belleboo23 Sun 20-Dec-15 10:22:45

We only just started telling people this week and I've been asked so many times was it planned or they just say accident along with the raised eyebrows from people but dh hasn't been asked at all it must be a woman thing. This is our 3rd and I also have a big gap my youngest is 8 plus already having one of each I think people assume you must be done!!

Dixiechick17 Sun 20-Dec-15 12:42:23

We were asked this and it didn't really bother us tbh. Our DD wasn't planned, not that it mattered, we were still over the moon and my response was that it was a happy surprise smile

Loki17 Sun 20-Dec-15 17:54:56

I'd just say 'what do you think?' and smile sweetly. Watch them squirm as the rudeness of their question hits them. smile

hellsdells82 Sun 20-Dec-15 20:14:44

When people ask me i make it obvious its none of there business... cuz really they are only asking to gossip elsewhere anyway with a question like that...

Me - im pregnant
Them - ohh was it planned?
Me - why?
Them - {awkward silence}

Shuts everyone down in an instant. Really... why does it matter to them amd i bet you now they cant have an answer for that and if they do... they talk about you too much and have just give it away.

Ughnotagain Sun 20-Dec-15 20:18:45

I hate this, it's so fucking rude. I don't know why anyone thinks it's a reasonable question to ask!

ShowYourSeams Sun 20-Dec-15 21:14:59

I didn't get the 'was it planned' question, but telling people we were expecting twins we got asked a lot if they were 'natural'. 'No, they're a new synthetic, unnatural type of baby!' hmmgrin
The silly things people say to pregnant women!

limeandsoda93 Sun 20-Dec-15 22:11:00

Worried about how I'm going to respond to this (11+2 and only told a few). Think I'll just say happy surprise. Already had somebody ask 'are you happy about it?' well yeah, or I wouldn't be telling you!

MrsPCR Sun 20-Dec-15 22:28:17

My brother's first response was if it was planned or not!! As a pp said, nah, we've just been together 10 years, married 3 and suddenly in our late 20s forgot how contraception works! hmm

It has shocked me the number of people who have asked if it was planned. I've made a few sarky comments at times and asked if they would like continued updates on mine and DH's sex life! Then again now that I'm 26 weeks one friend did ask about that the other week!

mamapoppins23 Sun 20-Dec-15 23:09:11

Honestly it shouldn't matter if it was planned or not in the first place. People should just be supportive anyway, really it's none of their business.

sykadelic Mon 21-Dec-15 04:25:04

I'd just reply: "If you're wondering whether you should be happy for us the answer is yes, we're extremely happy to be expecting". You could always try a ruder: "do you really think that's an appropriate question?"

It has honestly never entered my head to ask someone if the baby was planned. I've wondered before based on their body language but I'd never ask. Damn :S

Blueturquoise Mon 21-Dec-15 04:44:46

Out gorgeous dd is no 3 and 2 months old now - inspent so much time silently fuming or laughing (depending on mood ) at those stupid insensitive enquiries! We too have a 6!year gap. The iron my is she was the only one that was actually properly planned!
Enjoy your pregnancy op, it s a lovely age gap! Our elder two are besotted with their little dsis and I m really enjoying and cherishing the new born stage. It s been a wonderful time and dd has already brought so much to our lives.

- ohh actually just remembered an incident where j was calling over to neighbours, the dh in the family is a bit if an arse - we wouldn't have known them well their dd is in my dd s yer at school- he hadn't known I was pregnant and in his surprise he saud 'oh congratulations I had no idea you were even trying ........' hmmhmmconfusedconfused

Whoknewitcouldbeso Mon 21-Dec-15 04:50:58

I certainly had that with my DS's pregnancy. But in my case it was pretty justified as we hadn't been together long and I was quite surprised myself lol.

I think people over share nowadays, probably because of social media, and they say stuff that would never have been muttered in the polite society of yester year.

gemsparkle84 Mon 21-Dec-15 08:40:39

Ha ha I get asked this. My hubby and I are both in our early thirties, got married last year and have been together for 9 years. I think people either thought we couldn't have any or didn't want any. This is a much wanted baby, when we were both ready I don't think anyone gets it!!!

29redshoes Mon 21-Dec-15 10:19:27

I get this all the time too. We've been married three years, I just turned 30, and we bought our first house earlier this year. It's a bizarre question but I don't think people mean anything by it, I just smile, say yes and try and move the conversation onto something less awkward!

Beansprout30 Mon 21-Dec-15 17:45:53

I know I'm in for this question when I announce our pregnancy because I've always kept my cards close to my chest when it comes to having babies. I'm not looking forward to the questions especially after having taken a while to concieve anyway, all I'm hoping for are happy, positive responses... We shall see smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now