Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Waters Leaking? How to know!!! 34+6

(8 Posts)
KeepingKate Sat 19-Dec-15 23:49:23

Hi all,

Looking for some advice! Feel silly ringing the hospital if i'm just overreacting!
I seem to be very damp down there? It has been a day of really hot xmas shopping etc? so don't know if that can affect it! (Sorry for the tmi) Doesn't smell of urine at all, so i know its not that.
Has anyone had this? this is my first so no idea if i'm just panicking after hearing about waters leaking etc! Was thinking if i wake up wet then i will ring the hospital? does that seem reasonable? or am i just wasting peoples time??

TIA

Kate x

honeysucklejasmine Sat 19-Dec-15 23:51:38

It could just be sweat. I am told waters have a distinctive colour and smell, but I don't remember what... Google?

Perhaps pop a pantyliner in so you have evidence if you are looking for a specific colour.

LaContessaDiPlump Sat 19-Dec-15 23:51:42

I had a bit of a gush so that's not my experience grin however you should call the ward if you're worried, they won't mind at all.

Have you passed a mucus plug? Mine was light pink/cream coloured and a bit of a blob.

DixieNormas Sun 20-Dec-15 00:00:27

you can have periods of excess discharge during pg, pop a panty liner or sanitary towel on if you have one.

my waters broke early 3 times but every time it was really noticeable and even when they leaked it was a far bit. Never noticed the loss of the mucus plug though

DixieNormas Sun 20-Dec-15 00:01:20

if you are really worried though phone the maternity unit. They can do a test to check

Katarzyna79 Sun 20-Dec-15 00:07:05

ive had it with every child, some women break waters very last minute before the baby pops out not me though I just leak like an old car lol

it looks clear it smells slightly sweet no smell of urine at all. put a pad there or a wad of tissue so you can check it. It usually starts with a plug of mucus like snot or the whitish discharge women usually get, then it turns to clear liquid.

FuzzyOwl Sun 20-Dec-15 00:11:21

My waters broke and it felt as if I constantly leaking. There was no way I was in doubt even though it was trickling, rather than gushing.

If you aren't sure, put in a towel and give the hospital a call. Not long after my waters went, blood and gunk (mucus/plug) came out and the towel will show that.

If you think it could be sweat rather than your waters, it probably is because there was no way mine could have been mistaken for sweat. But it is always worth checking as you might need to be induced due to a risk of infection.

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sun 20-Dec-15 00:35:41

Ring your midwife.

I believe the advice is to put a pad on and lie flat for a while to see if you get a hush when you stand up

However some people's waters do just slowly leak so worth calling the midwife anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now