Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Where can I find a great list

(42 Posts)
catobe Sat 19-Dec-15 20:27:46

Looking for a list of things we need for our baby that is due in May! Hoping to get some bits soon.

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 19-Dec-15 21:11:50

I'd tell you what we've gotten but I think we have far too much stuff. confused

LibrariesgaveusP0wer Sat 19-Dec-15 21:14:22

There is no such thing because people disagree so much.

Fundamentally - clothes, somewhere to sleep, a way of transporting and a car seat if you will ever travel by car. Plus bottles if you won't bf.

catobe Sat 19-Dec-15 21:28:38

Thank you. We were just hoping for some sort of starter list - January sales are approaching....

LibrariesgaveusP0wer Sat 19-Dec-15 21:32:22

I gave you a starter list. grin

Honestly, the rest of it is optional frills.

LibrariesgaveusP0wer Sat 19-Dec-15 21:34:33

Oh. The only things not on my list that I found good for a newborn were :

- bouncy chair
- muslin

When a bit older, monitor. Depending on size of house/flat.

cookielove Sat 19-Dec-15 21:39:58

Baby vests ×8 (at least)
Baby grows x8 (at least)
muslins x10
Baby hat x3

Pushchair/travel system
carseat
moses basket and mattress or sleepyhead, snug pod, chicco next to me, or the one I can't remember the name of.
sheets x 7

Nappies
wipes (we used water wipes for three weeks)
Changing mat/unit
Bath chair
flannels

Bottles
breast pump/formula
steriliser

LibrariesgaveusP0wer Sat 19-Dec-15 21:42:16

Ooh, see this is what I mean! Can't imagine what I'd have done with three hats for a May baby, or 7 sheets!

cookielove Sat 19-Dec-15 21:43:39

Oh you may also want

Dummies
a sling
a rocker, swing or something
baby blankets
swaddle blankets

When is you baby due?

catobe Sat 19-Dec-15 21:43:53

Really helpful, Cookielove - thank you

catobe Sat 19-Dec-15 21:44:13

Baby is due in May!

cookielove Sat 19-Dec-15 21:45:59

Oh May, I missed it was May.

Well I was thinking of what I needed lol! I am crap at washing regularly and always lost hats so having more than one to hand was good for us.

7 sheets incase you have a sicky baby, a folded muslin under the head works well too.

catobe Sat 19-Dec-15 21:48:04

Who knows, it may be a cold May?! Your list was really helpful! Thanks so much for taking the time to give me your list! smile

SparklyPenguin Sat 19-Dec-15 21:48:08

A bath support is extremely useful.
A monitor of some description
Muslins
Gro-bags or similar
Baby thermometer
Calpol
Changing bag and mat
Sports bottle for you to drink from while feeding
Feeding pillow particularly if breastfeeding
Bednest or similar

LibrariesgaveusP0wer Sat 19-Dec-15 21:48:47

Yeah. Mine weren't mega pukey so I went with muslins.

NinjaPanda34 Sat 19-Dec-15 21:51:09

FOR CHANGING
If you have an upstairs consider setting up a changing station downstairs as well as in the baby’s room. This is particularly useful in the post-birth aches and restricted movement.
You will need:
Changing mat. Wipes (We use waterwipes – “The world’s purest wipes”, no nasty chemicals and usually on offer at boots.com, trust me, cotton wool and water are a FAFF not-to-mention double dipping? ick). Nappy sacks. Sudocream. Nappies. If you have a boy, consider investing in many face-cloths to cover their bits and to catch the inevitable fountains…
We bought a TommeeTippee sangenic tub which is great – you do end up with a poo sausage, but it seals everything up and doesn’t smell. Woohoo.

FOR SLEEPING
Our boys slept in their Moses Baskets until they were 6 months (tiny twins!). So there’s no huge rush to buy a cot/ cot bed.
You will need:
Fitted sheets (x2 or 3), cellular blankets, Moses basket and rockable stand (we got ours in Argos). The Moses baskets are great because you can move them round the house. Baby monitor – for when you put them in a darkened room to stop them screaming!

FOR TRAVELLING
You will need:
Car seat, ISOFIX base. (Much safer than seatbelts as it attaches to the cassis of your car). Pram, we found one that we could attach the car seats to the frame which is useful when you don’t want to wake up the baby! Slings, wait until baby is here – some babies hate them, and they run a sling library at the library where you can try before you buy. Changing bag.

FOR FEEDING
You will need:
FORMULA FEEDING:
Steriliser, bottles (size 1 teats), bottle brush, pre-made formula packs for the hospital (although they will give you some). MUSLINS. You cannot have enough muslins. Breast pads. Formula (we use SMA).
BREASTFEEDING:
Nursing bra (get fitted from about 34 weeks), Lansinoh nipple cream (expensive but essential, and lasts for ages). Muslins. Notepad to log the early feeding times (trust me your brain will be fuzz). Don’t worry about pumps etc for expressing, if needs be, the hospital has a pump.

CLOTHING FOR BABY
Trust me you will get LOADS of clothes as gifts, so you only need to buy a few essential items to get you going.
Sleepsuits with integral scratch-mitts. X6
Bodysuits/vests x6
Pramsuit/ snowsuit to wrap them up in to take them home.
Hats x2
Maternity wards are usually ROASTING, you won’t need cardigans, socks or clothes other than sleepsuits.

FOR BATHING
Baby bath and support seat.
Oilatum (you can get this on prescription from your GP)
Cotton wool / buds
Dentinox cradlecap shampoo
A jug

THINGS YOU WON’T NEED (yet)
Baby bouncer / Jumparoo – not needed until 4+ months
Playmat, again not interested in it until 2+ months
Nightlight. Nope. Our babies sleep best in total darkness.
Cot/ cot-bed. No rush, they'll be in their Moses baskets for a wee while first.

HOSPITAL BAGS
FOR MUM (& DAD)
YOUR NOTES
Granny pants (lots of), nursing bras, front-opening nighties, dressing gown, waterproof flip-flops (for standing in the hospital shower), a going-home outfit (you will still have a bump, so something loose and stretchy), socks, yoga bottoms, nursing/ maternity tops.
Maternity pads (you will need LOTS of these - I had twins and had PP bleeding for 10 weeks), I liked the boots big thick ones to start with then their slim ones afterwards. Do not get normal sanitary pads, it you have to have stitches, the cover of them can get attached… Yeouch - sorry if that's TMI!), breast pads, lip balm (hospital air is really hot and dry) strepsils/throat sweeties (gas & air gives you a really dry sore throat), shower stuff, hair bobbles, hairdryer, toothbrush/toothpaste, glasses, flannels for cooling you down mid-labour (magicool mist is also very good), LOTS OF carrier bags for dirty washing, lansinoh cream, hair-band, peppermint tea t-bags.
Car seats (only need for the day you go home!) camera and charger, phones and chargers, cereal bars/ snacks. Money for vending machines / canteen. Headphones, eye-mask, change of clothes for Dad (he will get puked on, pooed on, plus it’s good for skin-to-skin contact for him), book/kindle, tissues, notepad and pen, YES YES to moist loo roll, facial wipes, bump support belt.
FOR BABY
Nappies (SIZE1), Wipes. Nappy sacks. Travel change mat (you usually get one in your changing bag). Muslins. Sudocream. Vests x6, sleepsuits x6, hats x2, Pramsuit. Cuddly toy. Bibs. You don’t need to take in your own blankets (apart from one to go over the legs of baby in the carseat on day of departure) they’ll only get mixed up (and never seen again) with the hospital blankets.

Hope that helps!

SparklyPenguin Sat 19-Dec-15 21:51:14

And take time to research/try out slings, carriers and travel systems that fit your needs. We bought a cheap carrier which is pretty rubbish now DS is bigger!

LibrariesgaveusP0wer Sat 19-Dec-15 21:52:38

See. This is my entire point. I never used a feeding pillow, or a sports bottle, or a thermometer.

I just think these lists make you bbuy a lot of stuff because some people use it. The shops don't shut and online ordering is easy. Better IME to buy the basics and only get things you miss not having

I have a change bag, but tbh hardly use it with dc 3 because I've moved somewhere I normally have the car, so just have stuff stashed. With the older ones I was central London and used it all the time.

LibrariesgaveusP0wer Sat 19-Dec-15 21:54:27

Oh gosh. Cross post. I'm not even going to go through the next list.

I am not denying these things are useful to the person posting. Just that you aren't them and won't find the exact same stuff helpful.

FuzzyOwl Sat 19-Dec-15 21:54:55

My DD is six months old and the best things I bought for her were:

Sleepyhead
Perfect Prep machine (only if FF)
Steriliser (a big one to also store bottles in)
Bottles (recommend MAM anti colic)
Travel system
Muslins
Babygrows and sleepsuits (she was several weeks old before she wore anything else)
Cellular blankets and sleeping bags
Hat (for car and also outdoors)
Stretchy sling whilst she was a newborn
Also my camera and downloading the Sleepy Sounds app for white noise

cookielove Sat 19-Dec-15 21:55:58

DO NOT PUT YOUR BABY IN A SNOW SUIT OR PRAM SUIT AND THEN IN A CARSEAT! Sorry for caps but it's really dangers put, just put blankets over straps or invest in a star wrap from tuppence and crumble

poocatcherchampion Sat 19-Dec-15 21:56:48

I'm with you libraries....

FuzzyOwl Sat 19-Dec-15 21:57:07

Oh and a little mug (I used the Tippee Toes one). Obviously you also want your nappies, wipes, sudocrem, baby basics massage oil or olive oil (for dry/flaky newborn skin), nappy bags etc.

catobe Sat 19-Dec-15 21:57:08

Ninjapanda34 / sparklypenguin - again, thanks so much! So glad I asked this question.

FuzzyOwl Sat 19-Dec-15 21:58:53

Not mug, I meant bath. Quite how I confused those I don't know! 😳

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now