Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Prescribed Iron Tablets, how much to take?

(9 Posts)
JennyC520 Sat 19-Dec-15 18:15:13

I've been prescribed Iron tablets, 200mg. On the bottle, it says take one a day and not to exceed dose, but the drs note says to take 2 a day. I have no idea which instruction to follow?!

On the 1st day, I took only 1 tablet. Yesterday, I took 2 as prescribed by the dr. Since then, I've been feeling quite sick but I'm not sure if it's heartburn and indigestion or the tablets sad
Which instruction should I follow?! Is 400mg too much??

SweepTheHalls Sat 19-Dec-15 18:17:43

Take the 2 prescribed. I was on 3 a day of 210mg!

VegetablEsoup Sat 19-Dec-15 18:18:36

follow what the dr wrote.
if you have side effects you can take them in the evening so you sleep through the queasiness.

faintlyoptimistic Sat 19-Dec-15 18:22:23

I know this isn't what you asked but... I was on those during my first pregnancy and they were awful. The effects they had on my body took 6 months to wear off after I stopped taking them. Second time round, on the advice of a GP mate, I asked for sachets rather than tablets and it was so much more pleasant! Anyway, thought I'd share in case you find yourself in the same situation. Wish I'd known there was an alternative!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 19-Dec-15 18:24:34

When you say on the bottle do you mean printed on the original bottle label, or on the pharmacists label? If the latter, I would query it.

Nicky333 Sat 19-Dec-15 19:02:51

I got prescribed aspirin and I was told by the consultant at the hospital to take half a tablet a day. The label that the pharmacist stuck on them said one tablet a day. I queried it at the time and was told to follow the consultant's instructions.

Doublebubblebubble Sat 19-Dec-15 19:05:21

I was on 3 tablets (120) a day. Taking two wont do you or baby any harm at all.

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 19-Dec-15 19:13:28

I was told to take 2 ferrous sulphate. Now on 3 a day ferrous fumarate (which is slightly easier on the tum)

Loki17 Sat 19-Dec-15 20:06:40

Agree with the others who say to follow gp advice. Just do not take on am empty stomach as they will make you sick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now