Talk

Advanced search

Private maternity care

(6 Posts)
Sapphire28 Fri 18-Dec-15 21:17:49

Hi,
So far i have not been very happy with the NHS maternity services. Luckily we are insured privately so I have decided to go for private maternity care. But which hospital is the best to go to? A dedicate midwife/ obstetrician and professional and personalized service is most important to me especially because i experienced a traumatic first birth. We live in SW London so ideally Kingston (but haven't heard great reviews about this ward) or Chelsea and Westminster or St Thomas Hospital. Any experiences/ recommendations would be very welcome!

Inwaiting Fri 18-Dec-15 21:25:59

are you insured for maternity services? I'm privately insured but most policies excludes maternity care

isitginoclock Fri 18-Dec-15 21:40:17

I looked into this but went nhs - at a different hospital which I chose and had all my antenatal appts at. It was a hassle to get to but worth it. If you go private and run into difficulties they can ship you out to an nhs hospital in an ambulance anyway.

ajandjjmum Fri 18-Dec-15 21:56:06

I thought private policies only covered you for certain complications - ie. not a straightforward forceps delivery, but only rotational forceps. Why do I remember such stupid things from over 20 years ago!!! fblush

eurochick Fri 18-Dec-15 22:00:07

I had private maternity care. I started off with an independent midwife, planning to try for a home birth. However in the third tri I developed complications (baby not growing) so switched to a private obstetrician. My baby was delivered early at Tommies by the obs. I'm terrified of hospitals so it was important to me to be able to choose my dr and for my husband to be able to stay overnight. The Westminster Suite is not luxurious but the staff are very good and you get a private room. It was far from the birth experience I wanted but in the circs it was the best option.

LibrariesgaveusP0wer Fri 18-Dec-15 22:00:37

Do you have insurance for Non Brits? I have never seen domestic health insurance that covers maternity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now