Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Light bleeding. Terrified.

(34 Posts)
Emmawemmawoowah Fri 18-Dec-15 18:57:20

Almost 5 weeks pregnant so very, very early. Went to doctors to confirm on Wednesday. Have been having mild, stretching, AF type cramps since the day my period was due but was told this was normal. Today, however at around 12 o'clock I wiped after I'd been to the toilet and saw some blood on the paper, it was streaky pinky/red and looked to have a little bit of mucus in it.

I've had a couple of cramps but very, very mild, more of a bloated feeling. It does feel quite 'heavy' down there.

I went to the toilet about half an hour ago and again had some blood but just streaks.
I'm going to the doctors in the morning but I'm absolutely terrified.

My first pregnancy was a miscarriage but I was heavy from start until finish and had moderate but unmistakeable cramps.

I did have a slight bleed with DD around this stage. I was sent to our local EPU (which is an hour away) a good week after I'd reported the bleeding to my MW and all turned out to be fine.

I'm worried sick here and I suppose I just need my mind putting at rest.

seven201 Fri 18-Dec-15 19:07:38

I've had three lots of bleeding (first at 6 weeks so similar time to you) so far and I'm 13 weeks and all is fine. It's very common. Stay positive.

Emmawemmawoowah Fri 18-Dec-15 19:12:31

Thank you! I so hope little one stays put for me.

NorthernLurker Fri 18-Dec-15 19:22:10

What you've had so far certainly doesn't sound too ominous. Lots of women bleed like that. Some bleed more heavily and still have a sustained pregnancy. Try not to worry too much. Take care of yourself, make sure you're drinking plenty and try and take your mind off this for the evening. I know it will be very hard to do that but if you can get some decent sleep tonight that will be the best thing for you and the pregnancy.

Emmawemmawoowah Fri 18-Dec-15 21:21:44

Thank you. Sadly, I have just had a phone call from my brother. Himself and his partner have lost their baby at 10 weeks and had to rush through to A&E at 2am this morning.

I feel a bit stupid for panicking so much now.

WombOfOnesOwn Sat 19-Dec-15 06:07:21

After two previous MCs (and no previous live births), I had bleeding around the same time as you and promptly panicked right here on MN. Now he is at 31 weeks, which I can barely believe, and I can feel him thumping me!

VocationalGoat Sat 19-Dec-15 06:33:08

It sounds absolutely like implantation bleeding. I've had this with all of my pregnancies, lots of cramping included. It's safe to take a bit of paracetamol if the cramping is uncomfortable. Most mothers to be have an implantation bleed around this time. flowers

Emmawemmawoowah Sat 19-Dec-15 08:48:46

I'm still bleeding this morning. Not much still but slightly heavier than last night. I'm getting DP to take me to A&E. Still only havin very mild cramps but they still feel like cramps
Nonetheless.

NickNacks Sat 19-Dec-15 09:48:04

Whilst I understand you want to go and get checked out, there's not an awful lot A&E can do. You might want to prepare yourself for a lot of waiting around only to be sent home. Even if they scan you it won't be conclusive.

flowers

seven201 Sat 19-Dec-15 10:04:20

I don't think you should go to a&e. Could you ring your epu (although the mine is closed at weekends and doesn't do self referrals) or 111 and ask for their advice. I'm sorry to sound mean but it's not an emergency and that's what a&e is for. It really doesn't sound like you should be massively worried but I would call the epu or 111 just to help put your mind at rest. Or why not try and get a private scan if you can't wait? Hope it all works out for you.

Frazzled2207 Sat 19-Dec-15 10:23:27

I had this in both pregnancies.
If the blood is more like streaky mucus and/or brown/pink this is what I had and normal. MW was adamant that it was bright red blood that was worrying.
2nd time I ended up at EPU as cramps were bad but scan confirmed all well.
I have two healthy babies. I would say seek advice on monday if it's got worse or still happening.
You would be very unlikely to get a scan before then anyway.

VocationalGoat Sat 19-Dec-15 10:28:28

When in doubt get checked out. But try EPU instead of A&E. flowers

toohardtothinkofaname Sat 19-Dec-15 11:00:57

have you had sex recently? In early pregnancy that always made me bleed and all is fine.

scarednoob Sat 19-Dec-15 11:08:05

I had this and I was told to go to a&e. They did a quick check and then sent me to the EPU, who did scans etc. Mine ended happily, fingers crossed yours is the same. Lots of luck!

Emmawemmawoowah Sat 19-Dec-15 12:24:27

Been to A&E to get checked out. Wasn't in there long and all my one seemed fine.

Since then I've had worse cramping and more bleeding although still light. I'm still fearing the worst.

They told me to go home and rest and if I bleed anymore that I would be better to go to the next nearest hospital which is about an hour away.

Don't know what to do really

scarednoob Sat 19-Dec-15 19:57:01

Bless you, there isn't much you can do, unfortunately. Either way what will be will be - but so hard for you to stay sane in the meantime. I think treat yourself with whatever you fancy to eat and read/watch and just try to stay as calm as you can. Fingers crossed.

scarednoob Sat 19-Dec-15 19:58:00

Just read that back and it sounded a bit negative - not at all what I meant. Statistically you are far more likely to be fine than not, hopefully that will be the case!

Emmawemmawoowah Sat 19-Dec-15 20:31:11

scared didn't sound harsh at all.

Only one boob is sore now. Still bleeding although seems to have tailed off a little bit. I have had period which are much heavier than this bleed. Still bright red although no clots yet. Goin to book an emergency appointment with the doctor on Monday and see if they can get me a scan. I so don't want to be worrying over Xmas but realise that it's unlikely I will get a scan before then.

I'm fearing the worst now. Pains have tailed off too but I'm still not feeling optimistic.

Frazzled2207 Sat 19-Dec-15 21:19:03

Sounds very tough but I think good chance you will be able to get scan quickly if you go to gp on monday.
Fingers crossed for you.

Emmawemmawoowah Sat 19-Dec-15 21:24:08

It's a nightmare where we live as EPU is 1 hour away. We have a small community hospital about 4/5 miles away but to be honest, for anything like this you're wasting your time.

I'll probably have a real job getting an emergency appointment at my surgery as its nearly Xmas. Don't know what I will do if I can't get booked in. It might be another week before that to see if I get a scan.

I really am so disappointed and gutted. Right before Xmas as well, absolutely sucks balls!

seven201 Sat 19-Dec-15 21:32:17

What I did was ring the gp reception and explain that I was pregnant and bleeding so needed a gp to call me that morning. They rang me back a couple of hours later to discuss my symptoms etc. Then they rang the epu to book me in (3 then after the second bleed 4 days later for the appointment/scan). All areas have different systems though. I don't know obviously but i do think you are over reacting. I mean that in a good reassuring way, not a mean way. If you had heavy bleeding and bad cramps then yes you should be concerned, but you don't fortunately. You can't do anything to help either way.

Emmawemmawoowah Sat 19-Dec-15 21:45:04

Thank you. I was having moderate cramping earlier and moderate bleeding. It's tailed off now so I probably am overreacting - after all a little bit of blood often looks like quite a lot.

scarednoob Sat 19-Dec-15 21:59:37

Any blood looks like a lot when you're pregnant.

Any chance of a private scan? If you could do that, you'd know earlier?

Emmawemmawoowah Sat 19-Dec-15 22:03:28

I will look into it if I'm no further forward on Monday.

I am thinking I've MC now. I have this feeling of dread. Still feels really heavy down there with mild cramps coming and going.

Emmawemmawoowah Sun 20-Dec-15 08:38:41

In such a state. DP has gone out to work and left me with DSD and DD. I don't want them to see me like this. I'm bleeding really heavily and all I want to do is have a shower but I can't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now