Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Breech 28weeks. Tell me the odds are high to turn.

(41 Posts)
Missdee2014 Fri 18-Dec-15 16:41:45

Exactly as the title says. Had a 28 week growth scan today and baby is breech. My biggest fear is a section. I've had 2 vaginal deliveries with no intervention (induced but everything else straightforward) and the mere thought of him not turning and me needing a section petrifies the life out of me.

I know if someone was asking me this id tell them that there's plenty time to turn. I suppose it's just different when it's yourself.

Please tell me your experiences of baby's turning in time.

goodnightdarthvader1 Fri 18-Dec-15 16:44:25

I was breech at 28 weeks. I'm now 31+6 and she's head down. Don't worry!

goodnightdarthvader1 Fri 18-Dec-15 16:46:00

But actually, you should look at the reasons why you're so scared of a section. The biggest cause of "birth disappointment" is not being prepared for things to divert from your birth plan. It's absolutely vital that you try to come to terms with that before the birth.

TwoDrifters Fri 18-Dec-15 16:49:57

I feel your pain! I'm breech at 37+4 and I think sadly it may well be too late for turning. There goes my idealistic plan for a candle-lit water birth with soft music playing sad

My sympathies, Missdee2014 thankfully you have plenty of time for turning! And I'm still not giving up. Lots of down on all fours and lying with legs up the wall etc. blush

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Fri 18-Dec-15 16:51:18

My mother was breach - but she turned during labour. She was a second baby. This was in 1952, obviously before the days of scans when midwives had to feel around more, and I would have thought that then a c-section was far far riskier back then. According to my grandmother it was an easy birth!

Nousername2015 Fri 18-Dec-15 16:58:47

Mine was breech at 31 weeks and had turned by 34 so don't lose hope!

hebs72 Fri 18-Dec-15 17:16:21

I'm also 28 weeks, and mine spends most of its time transverse, judging by the kicks right out at the edge of my bump. I'm just going with the flow, 'cos I don't think there's anything I can do, and trust that things will be all right on the night.

If it's any consolation, my mum says my little sister and I were still doing cartwheels until the day we were both born grin

Missdee2014 Fri 18-Dec-15 17:28:37

I'm not really sure why I'm so scared of a section to be honest. Just something that's always worried me. I think the thought of the epidural itself is terrifying!

Thanks for the positive stories! I guess there isn't much I can do, just need to hope he turns soon n stays turned.

goodnightdarthvader1 Fri 18-Dec-15 17:36:08

Is it the needles / injections? If so I can sympathise, major needle phobic here.

Seriously, please do try and make some peace with this. If labour stalls and you need an EMCS, you really don't want to end up with some sort of PND because you hadn't sorted out your feelings in advance. I know smart, sensible women who feel robbed when they ended up with an EMCS and it's a very dangerous attitude. You can only control this process so much, even if baby does end up in the optimal position.

CuppaSarah Fri 18-Dec-15 17:51:51

Loads of time especially as this one isn't your first. Also the guidelines have changed recently that if there's trained staff, hospitals can attempt breech vaginal deliveries. When my baby was suspected breech(I just make boney bummed babies) I was offered a vaginal breech birth. Obviously would be a personal choice, but breech no longer means definite c-section

RatOnnaStick Fri 18-Dec-15 17:56:56

Both my babies were breech from early on. DS1 was helped to turn at 37 weeks, DS2 did it by himself by week 34 thank goodness. There is some interesting information on spinningbabies which is an american site but useful nonetheless.

LittleMouseontheDairy Fri 18-Dec-15 18:15:18

I had my anti-D injection today (am 27 + 2) and asked the midwife about the position of the baby as I have a feeling he is transverse and has been for a while (I get movement to the sides of my bump and cervix, not much higher up). She said that at this point the baby was moving around all the time and had probably changed position since she'd gone out of the room to get something. I was slightly sceptical as I have been feeling the 'transverse' movements as above for quite a while. But I take her point as she knows more than I do! She also said that even if the baby was suspected breech they wouldn't scan until around 36 weeks as there's plenty of time before then for it to move.

BlueEyeshadow Fri 18-Dec-15 18:17:26

DS1 was footling breech so I had an ELCS. DS2 was breech for a long time, but just as I was coming to terms with the idea of a 2nd c section, he turned by himself.

LastOneDancing Fri 18-Dec-15 18:20:15

Lots of time to turn but...

My chiropractor has told me there are exercises she can give me to give the baby a good chance of turning head down (mainly using gravity to allow the baby room, no turning or anything invasive!).

I appreciate it's not for everyone but might be worth looking into if you're worried.

goodnightdarthvader1 Fri 18-Dec-15 18:40:30

Yes, good point lastonedancing - basically lots of kneeling on the floor on all fours, anything that creates a 'hammock' of your tummy muscles in a downward direction (in contrast to the way we usually sit, which is slouched back on the sofa!)

I think the recommendation is to do that 20 mins a day, for the last 2-3 weeks of your pregnancy. I haven't looked it up so I'm not 100%.

SaltySeaBird Fri 18-Dec-15 18:45:58

DD was breech at 36 weeks. I don't know how she turned but she did.

HTKB Fri 18-Dec-15 18:51:56

Stats wise 22% of babies are breech at 28 weeks and around 2% are breech at term. So what, a 90% chance of turning? (Not good at maths).

I've had a very straightforward lovely VB, am currently 27 weeks and baby was breech at 24 weeks. I'll do a vaginal breech if the position and size of baby are conducive. The hospital would support me in this.

Missdee2014 Sat 19-Dec-15 01:05:51

Thanks everyone for your info/advice. I'll check out the link and have a read. I'm scared of the thought of them turning him also. I really should get over my fear of a section, I know if it were to end up that way I would feel like I had failed - I know this is stupid to even think that but in my head I just want a normal birth so much. I guess more so as I had fairly straight forward births with my first 2 and a very quick recovery that it just scares me the Unknown. I'll speak to the midwife when I go on Tuesday. I've another 2 scans to get for growth anyway so will know what's what all the way throughout the rest of my pregnancy.

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 19-Dec-15 11:54:17

Everything might be fine, and I hope it is, but you seem to think head down = natural birth with no complications, and that isn't necessarily the case. I hope you have a good chat with the midwife and she can prepare you for any 'surprises'.

NHKX2 Sat 19-Dec-15 12:27:21

You've got loads of time left. Unless your midwife has expressed concern, nor should you.

madwomanacrosstheroad Sat 19-Dec-15 12:35:52

DC 4 turned at 40 + weeks. She was actually an unstable lie. We used moxibustion and I still think that did the trick. Would not worry at 28 weeks. Plenty of time left.

spilttheteaagain Sat 19-Dec-15 14:42:02

My breech on my 28 week scan DD turned at about 32/33 weeks. It was like my insides doing a humongous somersault washing machine style, totally unmissable. I was driving at the time and nearly came a cropper it was very distracting!

Plenty of time OP, don't worry about it yet.

Loki17 Sat 19-Dec-15 15:26:34

Dd was breech at 32 weeks. She turned. Try not to worry too much.

scarednoob Sat 19-Dec-15 19:53:06

Just wanted to say that I was terrified of a section too. Ended up having to have one - and honestly I have no idea why I worried. It was over in an hour, and I was walking across the ward later that afternoon and shopping later that week. I also got to leave with 2 magic words in my discharge notes... "Perineum intact"!!! If we can have another, it will be a no-brainer for me to do it again if needed.

Hopefully you will get the birth you want, but thought it might help to hear a positive section story.

FuzzyOwl Sat 19-Dec-15 19:58:10

My baby as in breech at 27 weeks (I had a private scan) and also at 38 weeks when I went into labour. My midwife refused to believe that she was breech during my pregnancy, despite several private scans showing otherwise (apparently each time my baby moved straight after the scan and then back again after my midwife appointment 🙄). It meant I had an emergency section and it really was a great and serene experience. I was well enough to go to the supermarket after four days and although it hurt to sit/stand for about three weeks, I would much prefer another one if I have another child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now