Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Lifting child while pregnant?

(20 Posts)
Dileas29 Fri 18-Dec-15 07:35:53

I have been in situations where I have no other option but to carry my two year old is this okay? I am 7 weeks and concerned this could be damaging?

MaximumVolume Fri 18-Dec-15 07:39:30

Most Mum's of more than 1 child have to do this, I certainly did. Don't worry.

Junosmum Fri 18-Dec-15 07:39:43

It's fine. New guidance is clear that it doesn't cause damage to baby or increase chance of miscarriage but due to your ligaments softening you are more at risk of hurting you back so bend with your knees.

Jackiebrambles Fri 18-Dec-15 07:41:36

It's fine. I carried my toddler loads, right up to the end of my pregnancy. Well until 33 weeks when I fractured my ankle - don't do that, I wouldn't recommend it!!

Dileas29 Fri 18-Dec-15 07:44:18

I'm concerned that along with lots of stress is going to be bad for the baby. A lot going on and I know worry is the last thing I need. Thanks guys

hufflebottom Fri 18-Dec-15 08:08:01

Don't worry about the lifting.

As for the stress rest where and when you can (easier said than done) not worth the high blood pressure for

Sunshine511 Fri 18-Dec-15 08:30:57

I feel your pain! I have a 2 year old, my husband is working away and will be for my whole pregnancy bar about 6 weeks. Our family live a 9 hour drive away. My 2 year old is very clingy to me because I'm the only constant in her life, always wants carried etc. I also have to do everything around the house since dh is away so lifting, reaching up high. I try to minimise this but unfortunately I can't completely avoid it! I'm currently 17 weeks and all is going well with my pregnancy and hopefully that will continue.x

Iammad Fri 18-Dec-15 09:12:56

Your be fine, just bend your knees and lift and watch your back.
I have a 14 months old chunk and I'm nearly 36 weeks pregnant and he is forever wanting picking up.
Also he loves to run and jump on my so his poor sister has had a lot to deal with even before entering the world lol.

CharmingChampignon Fri 18-Dec-15 09:18:09

I'm due dc3 soon and still pick up/carry my other 2 - 4 & 6 if needed. In my second pregnancy I wore my first in a sling for quite a while. All was/is fine.

mudandmayhem01 Fri 18-Dec-15 09:18:26

The human race would have died out long ago if physical activities like lifting children were dangerous to normal pregnancy. Look after your back and congratulations.flowers

Lilipot15 Fri 18-Dec-15 09:20:12

What mud said!

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 18-Dec-15 09:23:18

Pregnant women have carried children since god knows when. Please don't become one of the ridiculous 'I can't I'm pregnant' brigade (unless it is actually not something you should do, ie soft cheese).

Whoknewitcouldbeso Fri 18-Dec-15 09:24:56

There is little you can do bar getting all the help you can and minimising the stuff that escalates into pick ups/wrestling matches in my toddlers case.

I'm having a high risk pregnancy, in third tri now and I'm getting by by trying to anticipate what will bring a tantrum on and avoid it using distraction and bribery lol. In my case it's not the picking up so much as the grappling and wrestling when he is flinging himself about in a dangerous situation that can't be ignored. Or the kicking out at my belly, or leaping on it etc.

ShowYourSeams Fri 18-Dec-15 10:04:08

I have a 2yo and carried him throughout my twin pregnancy.

As I got bigger and ended up with SPD, I couldn't carry him on my hip so he would sit on top of my bump when I needed to carry him. Consultant and physio both said this was fine.

Queazy Fri 18-Dec-15 18:46:04

I'm 39 weeks pregnant and carrying a 2yr old all over the place, frequently mid-tantrum at the mo. Please don't worry. I had suspected placenta previa but its ok now - that was the only time the hospital told me to be mindful of lifting too much.

Buttwing Fri 18-Dec-15 20:26:08

Dc3 was 14 weeks old when I found out I was pregnant with dc4 so I carried him all the wat through my pregnancy as I had no choice. I know it's hard but try not to worry smile

Onsera3 Fri 18-Dec-15 20:38:59

You should be ok but it's not great for everyone. I have pelvic organ prolapse from first pregnancy/labour. This combined with SPD meant I was cautious.

A lot of woman do have pelvic floor damage and many don't realise so it pays to be careful as the hormones make your body more vulnerable.

I taught DS to jump on my count if I had to pick him up. I'd get down on one knee so my thigh was parallel to the floor and he could use it as a step if he needed to climb up somewhere.

SnozzberryMincePie Fri 18-Dec-15 20:45:52

It is unavoidable that you will have to lift them sometimes and you won't damage the baby but you might hurt your back. I did everything I could think of to minimise lifting my dd when I was pregnant. Eg. We took the cot sides off, taught dd to climb into her own high chair and buggy, if she wanted a cuddle I would go down to her level. Now the baby is here he is usually in a sling so it is still hard for me to lift her so I am glad that she is used to it.

MaisieDotes Fri 18-Dec-15 20:45:54

DS is 16mo and still not walking independently, I am 34 weeks pregnant and have been carrying him throughout. He's a big child- about 13kg.

BUT this is my third baby (DD is 14 though so no need to carry her grin ) and I too have a prolapse and I developed sciatica at 20 weeks which nearly finished me off until I saw an osteopath at 24 weeks who worked magic.

I find carrying DS up the stairs is the biggest killer so maybe try to avoid that if at all possible.

Dileas29 Fri 18-Dec-15 22:25:52

Thanks for this. My little one is very ill and carrying to hospital has been adding extra stress along with the illness. Trying to calm down for the sake of my blood pressure like you say

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now