Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is my 20 week scan normal

(10 Posts)
rac1992 Thu 17-Dec-15 11:36:19

Hi All.

I had my 20 week scan today. I am feeling worried/anxious that my baby's face looks very flat. Is this normal?

Maybe its normal for all Moms to worry about their first baby's scan picture but i cant shake the feeling that something may be wrong.

Thanks.

Doublebubblebubble Thu 17-Dec-15 11:38:50

Looks normal to me (I am not a medical professional) but I sure the people who ARE actual medical professionals (ie the sonographers) would have told you if there was a problem.

Junosmum Thu 17-Dec-15 11:39:10

Looks to me like baby is facing very slightly away from the camera.

You have to remember that an ultrasound is a flat 2d cross section, rather than a flat 3d image like a photograph is.

If there was something wrong the sonographer would have raised it with you during the scan.

brookeberry Thu 17-Dec-15 11:41:57

Yes the scan photo can be a bit of an odd section. I know the two I got at my 20 week scan looked quite different - one looked like a perfect profile, and the other looked plain weird!

I'm not that experienced, but I'm pretty sure if a problem is detected you are told and another appointment would be made for tests.

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 17-Dec-15 11:47:03

Remember that the scan takes 'slices' of an image depending on how deep the 'laser' is penetrating - it's not a true profile. As a pp said, baby was probably looking slightly away from the camera.

At the 20 week scan they check the baby is developing very thoroughly. If there were any problems with his/her facial structure they would have told you.

sparechange Thu 17-Dec-15 11:48:20

Did they tell you anything was abnormal?
If not, you shouldn't worry about anything. The sonographer will have looked from lots of angles for a long time, and will have seen a lot more than you can from the photo

maybebabybee Thu 17-Dec-15 11:48:21

They would have told you if anything wasn't normal - that's the purpose of the 20 week scan.

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 17-Dec-15 11:51:01

Agree with the others they would have raised it straightaway if there was an issue- they are looking for any potential issues. If you're still concerned have a chat with midwife but honestly if there was a problem they would have said there and then x

VagueIdeas Thu 17-Dec-15 11:52:34

I'm sure it's just the angle of the baby's head in that particular photo. If there was genuinely something odd looking about the baby's profile, the sonographer would have noticed.

GoApeShit Thu 17-Dec-15 11:58:55

My baby looked like darth vader at our 12 week scan. As everyone has said, nothing to worry about unless they told you something was up. Relax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now