Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, you can find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

Early scan dating earlier than is possible...

(12 Posts)
MissClarke86 Thu 17-Dec-15 07:21:27

Hi guys,

I went for an early scan yesterday as I'd had some spotting. I got pregnant my first month off the pill and had tracked everything, including when we DTD and when I got my positive test. I predicted I was 8 weeks - 7 weeks at the absolute least.

The scan saw no baby yet, and the sac measured 6 weeks. This would mean that I got my strong BFP 3 days after conceiving. It just seems really unlikely and I'm concerned that baby stopped developing early, as I've also had very few symptoms.

I know scans can be out, but if it were actually 7 weeks and measuring at 6 that would be concerning too wouldn't it!?

Got a rescan in 2 weeks but am feeling less and less positive...and less and less pregnant!

LouLou030783 Thu 17-Dec-15 07:26:08

I had a scan at apparently 6 weeks 3 days and when I went for my 12 week I was actually 7weeks 1 day at that scan because everything's only mm there's so much room for error

Peppapigallowsmetoshower Thu 17-Dec-15 07:33:42

Sometimes this happens with a positive my beautiful DS. And this second pregnancy was off too. Sometimes this happens with a negative ending...missed miscarriage/miscarriage.

If by 12 weeks there is a formed wee baby then you're ok. Until then, I know how bloody hard it is, but there isn't really anything you can do except take care of yourself. The dates themselves can be off by quite a bit, I never understood it to a point where I thouhgt I was going crazy. We knew exactly when we'd DTD and honestly it's a good thing my DH trusts me because we had not had sex when they said we'd conceived, it was very very odd. I reckon our bodies are just amazing things that can do incredible their own pace.

Peppapigallowsmetoshower Thu 17-Dec-15 07:35:34

Good luck at your rescan. I've walked in your shoes, the wait is unbearable flowers

29PaddingtonSt Thu 17-Dec-15 07:52:31

Sorry you are in limbo. I have been there several times and the waiting is hard. When was your LMP? How late were you when you got your BFP?

Champagneformyrealfriends Thu 17-Dec-15 09:15:22

My early scan dated me at exactly what I thought I was, then my 12 week scan pushed me a week further on! There is a lot of room for error with dating. flowers

GoApeShit Thu 17-Dec-15 10:00:17

Sorry you're going through this. My experience of this did not end well and I miscarried a week after my first scan. I thought I was 6+4 and the scan showed a sac and fetal pole measuring 5+4.

The wait for a second scan is awful. I got a lot of support from these boards, they were a lifesaver.

Wishing you all the best and hoping you have a happy outcome.

YeOldeTrout Thu 17-Dec-15 10:17:13

Early scans aren't very accurate for dating, I wouldn't believe your early scan. Try not to worry. That's why the ~12 wk scan is so important, it actually is relatively very accurate for dating as long as it says you're in the window 11-13 wks.

YeOldeTrout Thu 17-Dec-15 10:18:21

Even the 11-13 wk scan isn't perfect. It's out by more than 3 days at least 5% of the time. Somebody has to be in that 5%. But early scans are much more inaccurate again.

MusicalFanjo Thu 17-Dec-15 11:35:17

I've experienced something similar two times now.

The first time unfortunately didn't have a happy ending. With the dates from my first scan I would have had my BFP 2 days after conception which is very much impossible. The sac and baby did continue to grow but I sadly miscarried about a month later anyway.

The second time resulted in my 8 week old, currently smiling at me, son. According to the scans I was just over a week behind of what I was certain I was. Again this would have meant I got my BFP 2/3days after conception which again is impossible. The baby seemed to have caught up though because at my 14 week scan I was measuring exactly how I expected. They wouldn't change my due date from the initial scan though no matter how many times I told them that the dates just weren't possible. I took no notice of the due date they gave me and calculated my own based on dates of LMP and when I conceived. I went into labour exactly on the date I calculated.

I have vowed to never ever have an early scan again because the false hope/ unnecessary worry they cause just isn't worth it IMO.

MissClarke86 Thu 17-Dec-15 17:50:11

Thanks guys, it really is a massive waiting game isn't it!? My symptoms seem to be going to and I 'feel' less pregnant. But we'll see in 2 weeks!

3luckystars Thu 17-Dec-15 18:45:13

Yes the waiting is awfully hard, I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope they are being nice to you in the hospital and you have good support in real life. Best wishes to you x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now