Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early scan dating earlier than is possible...

(12 Posts)
MissClarke86 Thu 17-Dec-15 07:21:27

Hi guys,

I went for an early scan yesterday as I'd had some spotting. I got pregnant my first month off the pill and had tracked everything, including when we DTD and when I got my positive test. I predicted I was 8 weeks - 7 weeks at the absolute least.

The scan saw no baby yet, and the sac measured 6 weeks. This would mean that I got my strong BFP 3 days after conceiving. It just seems really unlikely and I'm concerned that baby stopped developing early, as I've also had very few symptoms.

I know scans can be out, but if it were actually 7 weeks and measuring at 6 that would be concerning too wouldn't it!?

Got a rescan in 2 weeks but am feeling less and less positive...and less and less pregnant!

LouLou030783 Thu 17-Dec-15 07:26:08

I had a scan at apparently 6 weeks 3 days and when I went for my 12 week I was actually 7weeks 1 day at that scan because everything's only mm there's so much room for error

Peppapigallowsmetoshower Thu 17-Dec-15 07:33:42

Sometimes this happens with a positive ending....in my case...my beautiful DS. And this second pregnancy was off too. Sometimes this happens with a negative ending...missed miscarriage/miscarriage.

If by 12 weeks there is a formed wee baby then you're ok. Until then, I know how bloody hard it is, but there isn't really anything you can do except take care of yourself. The dates themselves can be off by quite a bit, I never understood it to a point where I thouhgt I was going crazy. We knew exactly when we'd DTD and honestly it's a good thing my DH trusts me because we had not had sex when they said we'd conceived, it was very very odd. I reckon our bodies are just amazing things that can do incredible things...at their own pace.

Peppapigallowsmetoshower Thu 17-Dec-15 07:35:34

Good luck at your rescan. I've walked in your shoes, the wait is unbearable flowers

29PaddingtonSt Thu 17-Dec-15 07:52:31

Sorry you are in limbo. I have been there several times and the waiting is hard. When was your LMP? How late were you when you got your BFP?

Champagneformyrealfriends Thu 17-Dec-15 09:15:22

My early scan dated me at exactly what I thought I was, then my 12 week scan pushed me a week further on! There is a lot of room for error with dating. flowers

GoApeShit Thu 17-Dec-15 10:00:17

Sorry you're going through this. My experience of this did not end well and I miscarried a week after my first scan. I thought I was 6+4 and the scan showed a sac and fetal pole measuring 5+4.

The wait for a second scan is awful. I got a lot of support from these boards, they were a lifesaver.

Wishing you all the best and hoping you have a happy outcome.

YeOldeTrout Thu 17-Dec-15 10:17:13

Early scans aren't very accurate for dating, I wouldn't believe your early scan. Try not to worry. That's why the ~12 wk scan is so important, it actually is relatively very accurate for dating as long as it says you're in the window 11-13 wks.

YeOldeTrout Thu 17-Dec-15 10:18:21

Even the 11-13 wk scan isn't perfect. It's out by more than 3 days at least 5% of the time. Somebody has to be in that 5%. But early scans are much more inaccurate again.

MusicalFanjo Thu 17-Dec-15 11:35:17

I've experienced something similar two times now.

The first time unfortunately didn't have a happy ending. With the dates from my first scan I would have had my BFP 2 days after conception which is very much impossible. The sac and baby did continue to grow but I sadly miscarried about a month later anyway.

The second time resulted in my 8 week old, currently smiling at me, son. According to the scans I was just over a week behind of what I was certain I was. Again this would have meant I got my BFP 2/3days after conception which again is impossible. The baby seemed to have caught up though because at my 14 week scan I was measuring exactly how I expected. They wouldn't change my due date from the initial scan though no matter how many times I told them that the dates just weren't possible. I took no notice of the due date they gave me and calculated my own based on dates of LMP and when I conceived. I went into labour exactly on the date I calculated.

I have vowed to never ever have an early scan again because the false hope/ unnecessary worry they cause just isn't worth it IMO.

MissClarke86 Thu 17-Dec-15 17:50:11

Thanks guys, it really is a massive waiting game isn't it!? My symptoms seem to be going to and I 'feel' less pregnant. But we'll see in 2 weeks!

3luckystars Thu 17-Dec-15 18:45:13

Yes the waiting is awfully hard, I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope they are being nice to you in the hospital and you have good support in real life. Best wishes to you x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now