Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

help glucose tolerance test tomorrow morning!

(29 Posts)
Ellie1986 Wed 16-Dec-15 21:09:12

So I'm putting this down to pregnancy brain! I have my glucose tolerance test tomorrow morning at my GP. Does anyone know how much lucozade I am meant to drink beforehand and how long before? And if I'm meant to fast?! Thank you!

Adelecarberry87 Wed 16-Dec-15 21:13:00

Surely this was told to prior to your appointment. You need to fast no drink or food from 12. The hospital provides lucozade or a glucose type drink. They take your blood prior to the test and after several hours.

tinyme135 Wed 16-Dec-15 21:15:55

when I had mine done I couldn't eat or drink after 10pm. once I was there I had a a blood test. I then had to quickly drink a bottle of lucozade (500ml) and wait 2 hours and then have another blood test.

tinyme135 Wed 16-Dec-15 21:16:27

I could have plain water but that was it.

CarShare Wed 16-Dec-15 21:20:17

I had to fast for 12 hrs then drink polycal solution diluted in water. Felt a bit dizzy by the second blood test.

sepa Wed 16-Dec-15 21:32:24

Like others have said, no food or drink (except water for 12 hours prior) they will take blood. Send you out to reception to wait (still no food or drink except water and not to walk about) then they will call you back for a second blood test.
I had mine done in hospital and they provided the drink. This GTT test is for high bmi people/high risk of diabetes so if yours is the 28 week one and you haven't done the test previously then you will need to provide your own lucozade and I believe you drink 410ml so I would pre measure this out into a jug or something and tip the rest away and pour the 410ml back into lucozade bottle (I haven't had this one done but I think this information is in your notes so if this is the one your getting I would check rather than go on what I say)

princesspineapple Thu 17-Dec-15 07:59:06

I'm having mine next week and there's nothing about bringing Lucozade in the letter! It says "Q: what do I need to bring with me? A: this letter" so I'm assuming they'll have a nice sugary drink waiting for me when I get there!
But it seems the rest of the rules are quite universal... Don't eat or drink anything except water for 12 hours beforehand, and bring a good book for all the sitting around! smile
Honestly have no idea how I'm going to cope without eating for so long though... I'm on a lovely "little and often" meal plan to keep the sickness away, so all these food free hours could prove interesting!

sepa Thu 17-Dec-15 08:06:18

Princess- my friend threw up at 2 different appointments as she was the same as you eating little and often!

honeysucklejasmine Thu 17-Dec-15 08:18:23

I have never heard of having to provide tour own lucozade. It's hardly a reliable test if people are bringing their own bottle which may contain inconsistent levels of glucose.

Honestly OP, its fine. Just skip breakfast and turn up to your appointment.

Dachshund Thu 17-Dec-15 08:24:48

I had to bring my own bottle of Lucozade which the nurse then measured out for me - I'd buy a bottle just in case!

TheTravellingLemon Thu 17-Dec-15 08:27:18

For anyone diagnosed with GD, I can't recommend this website and its accompanying FB page enough.

gestational diabetes

Jo and her team are fantastic and l couldn't have got through my pregnancy without them. They're always around to answer questions and their knowledge is astounding. Plus the diet tips are invaluable.

wonkylegs Thu 17-Dec-15 08:28:45

I have mine in January and have to take a 500ml bottle of original lucozade - she was very specific about that.
My instructions also said - Fast from 12 with only sips of water, hospital at 7.30 and bring a book because you'll be waiting around a longgggggggg time.

honeysucklejasmine Thu 17-Dec-15 08:30:42

Dachshund did they tell you which type to buy? shock Your local trust must really be struggling financially. sad (Although I think mine is just thinking "fuck it" and running up a huge deficit, according to local radio!)

honeysucklejasmine Thu 17-Dec-15 08:32:31

X post.

Well, I stand corrected! I am so shocked people are being asked to provide something required for a medical test.

tinyme135 Thu 17-Dec-15 08:56:20

I'm quite shocked too. my hospital had loads stored up.

unimaginativename13 Thu 17-Dec-15 09:25:01

And I think specifically it's a certain Lucozade like the sport one, so how can they say bring your own!!

I had to drink gallons of the stuff when I was on the drip in labour so I know from that they are very fussy as to what type. Must be to do with the sugar levels in different ones!

I believe there are two test that can be done the GTT is fast, bloods, sugary drink then bloods after two hours. This gives your fasting result then a 2 hours result like after your eaten- then you have to be measured against the guidelines.

I have seen a glucose test where they ask you to drink lucozade before you come then do your bloods.

I think this is a 'shortened' version, but I don't see the point of not testing your fasting sugars??!!

That Facebook has great info but I found it very strict, they jump on you like a pack of wolves if you dare write anything that is already written in the files. In short just read the files.

sepa Thu 17-Dec-15 09:34:02

It's only one of the tests where you have to bring your own lucozade. If you are doing it twice in your pregnancy then they provide the drink. If your ONlY doing the routine one at 28 weeks then you provide your own drink.

unimaginativename13 Thu 17-Dec-15 09:36:41

That must be your hospital, that didn't happen with me. My glucose drink was provided.

GoApeShit Thu 17-Dec-15 10:01:47

I had to buy a 500ml bottle of original Lucozade and drink a specific amount of it. It's not rocket science to buy and consume the correct drink. grin

honeysucklejasmine Thu 17-Dec-15 10:08:28

I only had the 28 week routine one and they still provided it.

It shows great trust in the intelligence of the general community if they want you to measure it out as well rather than drink the whole bottle! Maybe that says more about where I live....

GoApeShit Thu 17-Dec-15 10:14:39

Women who are pregnant and therefore about to have responsibility for a tiny human life should be trusted to measure and consume liquid hmm (obviously excluding situations where it is known this is not possible for the woman to achieve without assistance).

unimaginativename13 Thu 17-Dec-15 10:29:24

I'm surprised by this when I went the number of women that hadn't fasted or didn't know they had to wait two hours was a joke. Read the information given!

wonkylegs Thu 17-Dec-15 11:58:53

Unimaginative - I haven't got any information to read, I was told everything over the phone and had to make a note of it.

GoApeShit Thu 17-Dec-15 12:02:09

I was told everything over the phone and had to make a note of it.

And there's a sure fire way to confuse / make women get it wrong.

I was given an A4 sheet with very clear instructions on what to buy, how much to drink and when. Idiot proof.

seven201 Thu 17-Dec-15 15:17:00

Sorry to hijack this. I hate anything citrus flavoured and I hate fizzy drinks. I would simply not be able to swallow any lucozade as I'd just throw it up before it even went properly in. I'm still early in my pregnancy so I won't need this for quite a while. I'm not generally fussy it's just citrus and fizz that I can't stand. Do you think I'd be able to have something different? I'm worried about it already! Thanks c

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now