Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Am I the only one who has a drink?

(170 Posts)
oneconfusedchick Wed 16-Dec-15 10:27:29

Hi,

Sorry if this is a bit random but I was wondering whether anyone else has continued to drink through pregnancy. Please don't get me wrong I do not mean drink a lot but I have 1-2 units once a week on a Friday. I feel like I am the only one that does this! I did this with first pregnancy who is now a healthy and happy 2 year old!

I do worry though that I can't seem to find many people who still enjoy a small weekly drink!

x

oneconfusedchick Wed 16-Dec-15 10:28:12

ps - I measure out my drink and am strict usually only having about 1.5 units!

Sleepybunny Wed 16-Dec-15 10:30:31

I did, it wasn't every week, but similar to you 1-2 units, usually with food on a Friday if others were having something.

Brummiegirl15 Wed 16-Dec-15 10:50:59

I've had a drink. But it's always been a glass of prosecco or champagne. Firstly because if I'm only having one I might as well enjoy it but also those drinks are only served in 125ml glasses and are approximately 1.8 units.

So I know exactly how much I'm drinking. A glass of wine varies, especially a home poured one!!!

I don't have one every week though, maybe every few weeks or on a special occasion.

Saving myself for a glass of Christmas Day fizz!!

I didn't though touch a drop until 12 weeks.

Chchchchangeabout Wed 16-Dec-15 10:57:05

I did after the first trimester. Not necessarily every week but very occasionally twice a week and measured out carefully, just like you.

ChampagneTastes Wed 16-Dec-15 11:01:17

I did once I passed the first trimester. I had a 125ml glass of wine once a week at our local pub as my big treat. I did get some looks but DS is a healthy happy toddler and it prevented me going face first into a vat of vodka half way through the pregnancy.

RainWildsGirl Wed 16-Dec-15 11:01:40

i have had the odd glass of bubbly stuff for birthdays, anniversary etc - about 6 in total I guess. I will also be allowing myself probably 2 glasses of bubbles over Christmas day. I'm 35 weeks.

but I am also still eating pate, shellfish, blue cheese and nuts when I fancy them.

I'm not a fan of 'rules'. I have some common sense and apply that instead.

Inwaiting Wed 16-Dec-15 11:01:47

i haven't. i know 1 glass wouldn't be enough and i'd want the bottle smile

i don't really miss it to be honest.

Might have a weak bucks fizz christmas day

twirlypoo Wed 16-Dec-15 11:04:31

I did every now and again when I was pregnant, but I found that it gave me terrible heart burn - which was gutting when I was so looking forward to it! Meant I drank a lot less than I otherwise probably would have (still no more than a glass every week or so mind!)

Mermaid36 Wed 16-Dec-15 11:08:14

I haven't had a drink for over 2 years now, so it hasn't bothered me, now that I'm pregnant grin

Sanch1 Wed 16-Dec-15 11:39:26

Nope. Really don't see the point in taking any unnecessary risks.

Thefitfatty Wed 16-Dec-15 11:42:58

I had a small weekly drink with both my DC's and they are happy, healthy and intelligent (aged 2 &4).

crumblybiscuits Wed 16-Dec-15 11:44:50

Nope, after a loss at 16 weeks I would never ever.

SpanglesGalloway Wed 16-Dec-15 11:50:06

I didn't touch a drop until about 26w then I had a weak bucks fizz. Since then I've avoided as pp said I get heartburn it's so not worth it!

LumpySpaceCow Wed 16-Dec-15 11:52:21

Nope. I'm just not interested. It's a personal choice but I just don't feel the desire to have one drink (if not pg then I wouldn't want to get hammered but would want a couple to feel merry!).

Ughnotagain Wed 16-Dec-15 11:53:40

I did, but not every week.

Junosmum Wed 16-Dec-15 11:54:44

I can recall exactly how many drinks I've had this pregnancy (1 glass of champagne, one baileys, a third of pint of bitter, a small glass of red wine and a few sips of OHs pints) so not really drank if I'm honest. I find one leads to me wanting (though never having) more.

I plan to have a glass or two on Christmas day - I'll be 37 weeks so doubt it will do much harm at that point!

It's about risk assessing yourself and making a decision you are comfortable with. (My OH also has a say, it being his child as well. He's prefer I didn't touch a drop but we've come to compromise we are both ok with, on alcohol, food and other pregnancy related stuffs).

I've worked with children with FAS and whilst I understand that it's very very unlikely to occur with moderate alcohol consumption I'd never forgive myself if it did.

oneconfusedchick Wed 16-Dec-15 11:58:30

Thanks everyone! Yes I think if I had worked with FAS I probably would think twice! It keeps me from going insane though!

xx

Mordirig Wed 16-Dec-15 12:00:05

I'm not even a moderate drinker, as in I usually only have 1-2 glasses for Christmas or Birthday's so its no hardship for me to not drink.
I don't like beer normally, but when I'm pregnant I love the smell and almost want to have a sip but remember how I hate the taste and just enjoy the smell instead.

InstantFlowers Wed 16-Dec-15 12:01:57

Yes, I feel ok with having 1 unit every now and again, drunk slowly. I've found white wine spritzers very nice, even with only a few drops of wine to sparkling water.

Boosiehs Wed 16-Dec-15 12:03:18

i have, not every week but on special occasions. Same as i did with DS1 who is 2 and lovely.

will be having some champagne on christmas day

5madthings Wed 16-Dec-15 12:04:11

Not in first trimester but after that the odd drink for special occasion ie bday.

I don't drink wine even when not preg so no wine, no spirits (normally a rum drinker) but have had the off small ie 4oz glass of pear cider.

When I say normally a rum drinker that sounds like I have it all the time, basically if out I would drink rum, once a month/every six weeks. I rarely drink at home, if I do it would be a cider.

Am 24 wks and have had a drink twice this pregnancy, I will probably have a small drink Xmas day and then one in Jan for my bday.

The advice I have in my maternity notes says 1-2units at most once a week, I was suprised by that as thought they had changed the advice to none at all.... Because some people didn't know how much a unit was.
I also still eat runny eggs.

This is baby six, been same with all pregnancies, have also had three early miscarriages where I hadn't had a drink so abstaining didn't make any difference.

I wouldn't get drunk but a small drink is fine.

IslaMann Wed 16-Dec-15 12:05:17

Not a drop. I went from a bottle of wine on a Friday & Saturday night, to nothing as soon as I had the BFP. I've got a bottle of non alcoholic wine in for Xmas day, and in anticipation of it being terrible, I'm going to get a bottle of soda to make it into a spritzer. Not judgements, but I've waited 15 years to get pregnant again so not taking any risks. I know it's perfectly safe but I'd never forgive myself if anything went wrong, and I'd blame it on the booze.

VagueIdeas Wed 16-Dec-15 12:07:08

A couple of units every week just wouldn't sit right with me. It's difficult to measure a unit, anyway, unless you get the measuring jug out.

I had a Bucks Fizz last Christmas though. Had to look longingly at the wine and Baileys instead.

randomsabreuse Wed 16-Dec-15 12:11:15

Had a few sips/ tastes throughout including new year. Like a quarter of a small glass or a quick swig. I also didn't stop cooking with small amounts of booze where appropriate. Now BF so odd glass of wine when not too exhausted but don't really fancy it much at all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now