Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Did anyone successfully induce labour using natural methods?

(12 Posts)
Whoknewitcouldbeso Wed 16-Dec-15 07:59:27

I am currently 32 weeks, am 40 years old and terrified of a stillbirth after three miscarriages. I saw the consultant yesterday and she said the chances of a still birth goes up from 1-1000 to 1-500 after 40 years of age. Which I think is terrifyingly high!!

She is happy for me to try natural methods after 37 weeks. Lots of sex, raspberry tea, I'm going back to my acupuncturist for regular treatments. Anything else I can try or is it all nonsense do you think?

I'm seeing her again for another scan at 36 weeks. My first son was born without any intervention at 40+2, so I don't have a history of very overdue babies.

Thanks 💐

GastonsPomPomWrath Wed 16-Dec-15 08:09:45

Firstly, I'm so sorry about your miscarriages flowers

Do I think natural induction methods work? In a word, no.

I've had 5, all overdue by varying degrees and had a go at pretty much every method of natural induction anybody ever thought of with each one. The only thing I think I haven't tried it castor oil (bleurgh!)

Plenty will say that this worked for them or that worked for their friend but I think fundamentally the baby was probably ready to come at that time anyway and it was just a happy coincidence.

The best thing you can do is be very relaxed and calm, sleep, treat yourself well and wait it out. Talk to your midwife about your concerns and see if they're prepared to offer you extra monitoring towards the end of your pregnancy because you're very worried about the statistics.

confusedandemployed Wed 16-Dec-15 08:12:10

Sort of. I was 40+11 and mine started after sex. Mind you we'd had loads since week 39 so it was probably a coincidence.

Sorry about your MCs flowers

Sunshine511 Wed 16-Dec-15 08:46:18

I had a sweep in hospital which started my labour! It was a consultant who gave me the sweep (coincidentally he also delivered my baby the following day after a number of complications at the end of my labour). When I went to my appointment, he told me the best way to get things moving is sex. Now that came out the mouth of a professional and he swore by it! I'm sure it's not the case on every occasion but I know what I'll be doing lots of towards the end of this pregnancy! wink lol.

Whoknewitcouldbeso Wed 16-Dec-15 08:48:29

I have read that sex and acupuncture have the highest chances of working. So that's the plan. The baby is a great weight already and in the right position, so I think there is a chance he could come a bit early.

Sunshine511 Wed 16-Dec-15 08:51:09

Also, I'm sorry about you miscarriages flowers they say second babies often come earlier than first so I'm hoping you get your wish and don't go overdue smile x

Brummiegirl15 Wed 16-Dec-15 09:32:05

Hi Who

Nothing constructive to add I'm afraid other than tell you I totally feel your fear. I'm 39 and had 3 losses before this pregnancy with no dcs yet.

I'm 33 weeks and utterly terrified about something going wrong such as my placenta failing and stillbirth. My miscarriages haunt me.

As a result I've got an elective c-section booked in for 39 weeks as I'm struggling with the anxiety and just need this baby out cleanly, quickly and safely.

I'm very lucky my consultant has been amazing and I'm grateful , but I'm clock watching now - terrified of reduced movement

Thinking of you

OldBeanbagz Wed 16-Dec-15 09:36:00

What kind of consultant talks to a pregnant women about stillbirth rates???

Sex worked for me the first time (40+5) and i had chicken curry and a glass of red wine the night before both of my deliveries. Make of that what you will.

My second baby was born at 39wks.

SpanglesGalloway Wed 16-Dec-15 09:40:52

No past experience but didn't want to read and run- I'm sorry about your losses flowers

I'm 35+3 weeks pregnant now and was interested in what info others give. I have also been told sex is best as sperm contains prostaglandin which is what is used in induction anyway. I've ramped up DTD this week but can't help but think you'd need to lie with legs in the air to get that sperm on your cervix a la dtd?

All the best!! fsmile

cloudjumper Wed 16-Dec-15 09:51:10

I went very overdue with DS (he was born at 42 weeks) and had tried everything, including 2 sweeps. I'm afraid that there isn't really much you can do, other than trying to keep calm and relaxed (not easy, I know).
Acupuncture and also reflexology are probably your best bets to achieve that - I had a number of reflexology sessions, and while it didn't do anything to get labour going, it was just utter total bliss, I highly recommend it.

And please please stay away from mythical remedies like eating a whole pineapple or worse, resorting to castor oil, which does more damage than good.

Awfulknitter Wed 16-Dec-15 12:24:09

Nobody seems to mention nipple manipulation/massage as a method of inducing labour, which in Emily Oster's book 'Expecting Better' is the only thing that she says has good scientific evidence for actually working.

I haven't read up on it any more (no need for me yet!) and I'm not going to google it right now as I'd rather not have that show up on my seach history at work...

Good luck Whoknewitcouldbeso - fingers crossed for you.

seriouslywhat Wed 16-Dec-15 12:34:07

For my first two babies, waters broke in bed within minutes of, erm, a little 'me time' if you know what I mean blush. First at 38 weeks, second at 40+5. With second I was 3-4cm dilated anyway with waters bulging and had two sweeps, one the same day. Number three (born last week) a bit different as had waters broken due to a bleed at 40 weeks exactly (thin a progressed naturally after that and baby born an hour after contractions got going). I heard it is contractions of uterus that can kick start things!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now