Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

what does it mean to 'be engaged' ?

(5 Posts)
ALR123 Tue 15-Dec-15 18:38:40

I'm 36 weeks pregnant tomorrow and have been in a lot of pain since Sunday with tummy and back ache.
Maternity assessment unit checked me over yesterday and we're happy that all is okay, said they thought it was severe braxton hicks and to monitor it.
Also found protein in my urine but as BP was fine they weren't concerned.
Today I've been to my midwife for routine apt and she said baby is 3/5 engaged, and then joked that it could be on its way any day now.
I tried to get a serious answer as to whether that has any relevance to the baby being born but she didn't tell me.
Baby has been head down since 27 weeks and has significantly dropped the last few days, I feel sick and exhausted and am still working till next week sad anyone got any experience please?

juicynectarines Tue 15-Dec-15 18:42:45

I believe "engaged" means the head is fully in position for labour ie head down in your pelvis - nice and comfy confused

Raxacoricofallapatorius Tue 15-Dec-15 18:42:51

If you mean what does it mean in terms of labour being close, it means nothing. First babies engage early, subsequent babies pop in and out. Doesn't mean a thing. My first engaged at 31 weeks. And stayed there for 2 months. It really is irrelevant sadly.

SparklyTinselTits Tue 15-Dec-15 18:47:39

Same as Rax I'm afraid! My DD was engaged from 31 weeks...she didn't arrive until 38 weeks exactly. I don't think it's really any indication as to whether labour is close

ALR123 Tue 15-Dec-15 19:41:16

No that's great, it's what I want to hear! I really don't want baby to arrive much before the due date in mid Jan as my mother in law can't get a flight back until 5th Jan and she desperately wants to see baby asap after birth.
Midwife is old school and seems to get a lot wrong so I'm happy it can be engaged for a long time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now