Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

my consultant is a patronising idiot. (low placenta related)

(6 Posts)
RainWildsGirl Tue 15-Dec-15 14:29:34

Had my 35 week scan yesterday and consultant appt straight afterwards. (should have been a 36 week scan but moved a week due to Christmas).

Placenta is posterior and abutting the os - it has been exactly there since 20 weeks. I was scanned at 26 weeks and 33 weeks as I went in to hospital for bleeding. placenta in exactly the same place.

the 35 week scan was booked in as standard and my MW explained that this was to confirm the location of placenta and discuss delivery plan (c/s) if it hadn't moved. (this was discussed prior to the bleeds to theoretically wouldn't have been scanned between 20 and 35 weeks).

the consultant who scanned me at 26 weeks said to me that if it hasn't moved by 32 weeks it is highly unlikely to.

so I had this scan, sonographer was surprised I wasn't in hospital as she had been in for the last 8 weeks of her pregnancy with the same level of placenta praevia. the MW I saw before the consultant looked at the scan report (showing placenta less than 1cm away from the os) and said 'you're heading for a sunroof delivery then'. all the research I've done says a placenta will not move the required nearly 2cm in 2 weeks, its even more unlike to move as its posterior.

in strides the very important consultant who barely looks at me and says I have to be scanned again at 37 weeks (which will actually be 37+2 due to Christmas) to see if it moves and that he thinks I still have a change of a VB! When I dared mention all of what I have just written above he may as well have patted me on the head and told me not to worry my pretty little head about it he was so patronising. then refused to let me get a word in about my other concerns about waiting to his proposed 39 weeks if I did need a c/s (SPD being the main one).

I burst into tears as soon as he left. I'm now just fucking angry. I had to arrange childcare for my 3 DC, travel 45 mins to the hospital (agony with my SPD) all to be told to come back in 2 weeks! WTF is the point??? either it should always have been 'scan at 37' or this should have been the final scan to decide if a c./s was needed and book it in.

sorry, this is a total rant but I feel so pissed off about the whole situation and how he treated me. even if he wouldn't change his mind surely he should have let me talk and express my concerns/questions and have him answer them rather than being spoken to like a silly little girl who doesn't know what she's talking about?

so now I'm stuck over Christmas not knowing what is going on and terrified that this idiot will be on duty after my next scan and will insist I attempt labour - my worst nightmare is attempting labour and ending up with a panicked EMCS, I just wanted the c/s date booked!!

DearTeddyRobinson Tue 15-Dec-15 22:03:18

Wtf that's outrageous! Talk to your midwife, she can presumably update your notes, talk to asshole consultant, and hopefully get you booked in for a section at 39 weeks.
In my experience the placenta being low basically stopped DS from entering the pelvis so labour couldn't get going, in case you're worried about going into labour before your section. No guarantee of course but all being well you should be fine for an elcs.
I would complain to the hospital (PALS?) and get your midwife to take over the plans if you can.
Good luck!

Eastend2015 Tue 15-Dec-15 22:08:57

I have no idea about the answer to your question but I wanted to give you some reassurance that this guy sounds like a total knob, is there someone else you can talk to? A midwife perhaps?

Jellybean100 Wed 16-Dec-15 06:10:33

Ok that's very strange as placenta will not move at this stage of pregnancy. However you don't need bed rest for a placenta that's not covering the os so don't worry about that part. I would be frustrated aswell if I were you, but just prepare yourself that you're going to have a CS and it'll be booked in in two weeks. How annoying for you!!

RainWildsGirl Wed 16-Dec-15 08:29:26

thank you. I feel a bit better just for getting it off my chest.

I see my MW on Monday and DH is going to stay home to have the other DC for me so I can rant and cry to her without them there. not that she can do a lot though I expect as she is my community MW and has little to do with the hospital.

plus I wanted to actually discuss having the c/s at 38 weeks due to my SPD (my previous birth was induced at 38+3 due to the severity of my SPD) - now highly unlikely to be able to get booked in that quickly if I'm not now being seen until 37+2!

and the more unreasonable grip is that 39 weeks is one of my other DC's birthday and I'd rather not be in hospital for that! plus I cant plan his party for him until I have the c/s date and I thought I'd have it by now.

teddy that is what I'm really scared off (and another reason I don't want to wait to 39 weeks) is I'm 45 mins from hospital (plus time o get other 3 DC sorted) and the thought of going into labour naturally and then having an EMCS terrifies me.

why do no two consultants tell you the same thing?!

Persephone76 Wed 16-Dec-15 09:33:36

Poor you, that sounds incredibly frustrating...particularly with other children to look after, pain of SPD and Christmas looming. I've no advice but have some flowers Why are some HCPs so useless? Hope your midwife is helpful xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now