Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is this enough?

(15 Posts)
Heavenscent86 Mon 14-Dec-15 12:13:09

So bearing in mind I don't know the sex of my baby and want to save most of my clothes shopping for after the birth because of that do I have the right things and enough of it to tide us over for a short while after birth. Baby is due April 3rd so I'm not sure if I need a snowsuit or anything.

Up to 10lbs I have:

7 babygrows

3 vests

2 pairs of dungarees

0-3 months I have:

5 vests

4 babygrows

I have scratch mitts. No socks yet. I need to buy some little hats and my Nanar is knitting some cardigans. Do I need more vests in the smaller size or might I be able to get away with 0-3 until I can get to the shops? My daughter was 8lb when born so I'm hesitant to buy a lot in the smaller size and this was 9 years ago so I've forgotten a lot. TIA.

NeedsAMousekatool Mon 14-Dec-15 12:15:23

You need far more vests. If you have a pukey pooey baby you could get through 3 vests in a morning. Pop to Primark and buy a few multipacks of white vests and plain babygrows to tide you over especially as you may not be fit to go to the shops for a while once your baby arrives.

Peaceloveandpartyrings Mon 14-Dec-15 12:29:19

More vests! And at least 3 cardigans.

Peaceloveandpartyrings Mon 14-Dec-15 12:30:09

Oh and my DS was expected to be enormous, so I bought mostly 0-3 but he was only 8lb when born and even newborn size swamped him!

5madthings Mon 14-Dec-15 12:36:43

More vests!

Just get a cheap pack from primark or h&m do them in nice bright unisex colours.

I won't have much newborn stuff, mainly 0-3mths but other than dd my babies were 9lb+, Ds4 was 10lb 13oz.

You are due two days before me, so far I have three babygrows.... I found a bag with a few bits in the wardrobe the other day that I need to look through but we are pretty much starting from scratch as we were done with the baby stage.

I am waiting til after Xmas to make a list and get sorted. We don't know the Sex of this baby either. Good luck op you still have plenty of time to get sorted.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Mon 14-Dec-15 12:45:43

Yes- more vests. Possibly more baby grows as well. Plan for 3 outfit changes a day (some days may be more- some less).
Unless you want to be running the washing machine very regularly I would have thought 20 of each would be a good number.
Supermarkets and Primark do multipacks very cheap.

Runningupthathill82 Mon 14-Dec-15 13:09:59

More vests, as others have said. Just a couple of cheap five-packs of vests and a couple of basic three-packs of babygrows and you'll be sorted.
I doubt you'll really use the dungarees in newborn size, as they're faffy. You also probably won't need a snowsuit.
Also bear in mind you'll most likely be bought a lot of stuff, so leave everything packaged, with tags on, so you can swap it if needs be. We swapped loads of 0-3 and 3-6 month stuff for 9-12 and 12-18 as we were bought lots of the small stuff but almost nothing in larger sizes.

VocationalGoat Mon 14-Dec-15 13:14:14

Maybe get a warm pram suit as well.
More vests.
And this is off the beaten track but I swear by these:

Cheeky Wipes set. Not cheap, but I'd be lost without this. I never use baby wipes anymore. Yes, you have to 'launder' them but it's really not a hassle and they are awesome on baby's skin... poos, pukes, spag bol face (as he/she gets older of course!), anything and everything has been used on them and they wash up a dream and stay soft and thick (I only use non-bio detergent to wash them and that's it).

VocationalGoat Mon 14-Dec-15 13:15:06

It's worth looking on eBay too for newborn bundles. I am a big fan of second hand stuff in the early stages. You get some lovely things on eBay at a fraction of the cost.

Heavenscent86 Mon 14-Dec-15 13:18:59

Ok thanks everyone. I'll definitely get some more vests and babygrows in up to 10lb and I'll leave the 0-3 months stuff until baby is here. I will get cardigans a little nearer the time but hoping to get the ones off my Nanar soon so I don't buy too many. Although chances are she will knit them to fit 0-3 and they might be a bit big. I'm not sure about the dungarees either. One pair I was given and the other pair were heavily reduced and so lovely I thought I'd try them but I'm not convinced how much use they'll get. They are soft ones though, not denim or anything.
5madthings good luck with buying all your things. There is plenty of time to get sorted but I have found the last 6 weeks or so since my hyperemesis eased has flown past lol!! Still definitely no need to panic about not having things yet grin

Heavenscent86 Mon 14-Dec-15 13:21:01

Most of my things are second hand vocational. It seems silly to spend a fortune on things baby might only be in for a couple of weeks and I found some lovely bits on eBay which swayed me into getting secondhand. I'd recommend it to anyone. I'll look into those cheeky wipes. They might be a good idea.

5madthings Mon 14-Dec-15 13:37:12

I am still feeling nauseous... But this stage of pregnancy is going quickly. I think it will slow down a bit after Xmas, that's what I am telling myself anyway.

I was thinking snowsuit wise of just getting a fleece suit. Baby will mainly be in sling or wrapped up in carrycot. But weather at that time of year can be very variable.

Oh do have a blanket for the pram and a packet of muslin cloths my mil bought me this week.

And yes to second hand or sale stuff, I will be checking out the January sales!

Heavenscent86 Mon 14-Dec-15 13:39:58

Everything I have bought so far has been second hand or on offer lol. I saw a lovely fleece suit in m&co today which I thought might be suitable for early April so it seems we might be thinking along the same sort of lines. I can't buy anything else until after Christmas though so just working out what I need to get really in preparation.

wonkylegs Mon 14-Dec-15 13:44:37

I have lots of vests and babygrows, a few cardigans and one slightly warmer jacket thing. I had lots to avoid having to wash anything for the first week ( I was in hospital for quite a few days after)
Mine are from having our son he was a surprise too but his birthday is the same time of year so should be fine for the mix of clothes. I'm due beginning of May but as DS turned up early (+ a few other indicators) I'm expecting this one to arrive sometime in April. It's a funny time of year and can be anything from snow to heatwave.

Heavenscent86 Mon 14-Dec-15 20:09:06

Yeah I remember having snow at one of my April birthday parties but I also remember Aprils that have been ever so hot. Makes clothes shopping for baby difficult.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now