Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant and stressed!

(7 Posts)
Pregnant2829 Mon 14-Dec-15 09:41:46

Hi, this is my first time posting on here so please be kind :-) lol. Anyway I am 29 weeks pregant and due to leave work on the 23/12. I am a nursery nurse and work is extremely stressful right now due to lack of staff. My manager is not understanding and is expecting me to do my job as if I were not even pregnant. I've had enough! I was in tears last week at work and had very little sleep last night and crying last night dreading this morning. My mum demanded I get myself signed off sick for this last week or so at work, tried to get a docs appointment but none available for today or even tomorrow by the sounds of it. I don't know wether to go back in tomorrow and grin and bear it or call in sick again. I'm scared by my boss and the thought of talking to her and calling work makes me feel physically sick. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

toohardtothinkofaname Mon 14-Dec-15 10:02:31

Sometimes when the end is in sight it can be difficult to keep your grit. If you're physically able I would persevere this week & dial it back on the intensity do you don't get stressed - only a few days to go!

Scase1firsttimemum Mon 14-Dec-15 10:03:27

You shouldnt be in an environment like that, getting to stressed can be harmful! Your boss should understand, and its definitely not your fault youre understaffed so why should you suffer! Crying shouldnt have to be, but seems like the point where you need to stop putting yourself into that situation because its completely unfair. If today is anything like the other days I would suggest to not go in anymore, but its completely down to you smile hope everything gets a bit better and calmer for you!

Bombaybunty Mon 14-Dec-15 10:05:31

You don't need a doctor's certificate for the first week. Use a self certificate and see the GP during that week.

Did your employer do a pregnancy risk assessment?

Pregnant2829 Mon 14-Dec-15 11:24:55

Thanks guys, I have had risk assessments done but that was a while ago when I still felt able to do most things. My body is just telling me that I'm ready to give up now, and I'm normally the type of person to tell nearly 'a few days to go, I can do this' but I just can't even seem to be able to do that. I just want to be off now and I don't know how to approach it or go about it with my manager because she just intimidates me 😕

Cnmorgan13 Mon 14-Dec-15 14:20:45

I was like that myself. My manager was an idiot (expecting me to go up airport ladders and lift appliances) so I can empathise with folk who are totally clueless. As for the stress, short of calling in sick there is not much you can do with an asshole manager. I had to work through the most stressful time of year and bump is doing well. Some stress you can't avoid these days sad

Buttercup27 Mon 14-Dec-15 14:24:21

If you can't get a gp appointment give your midwife a call. I wasn't well with 3 weeks to go before maternity leave. At my midwife appointment she advised me to go off sick and arranged the sick note for me with my gp. So much quicker than waiting for a gp appointment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now