Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

baby carriers when pregnant

(9 Posts)
JellyBaby26 Mon 14-Dec-15 09:39:53

I am about to buy a connecta with birthday money and am 14 weeks pregnant with a 6 1/2 month old very small DD who hates her pushchair.

How long is it safe to carry her?

She's not really suitable for back carry as has poor head and muscle control.

PotteringAlong Mon 14-Dec-15 09:41:23

It's safe to carry her for as long as you feel you can.

poocatcherchampion Mon 14-Dec-15 09:42:17

As long as it is comfy for you.

Make sure you adjust the band high over the bump for a beautiful double decker look!

JellyBaby26 Mon 14-Dec-15 09:57:39

I'll look like a bloody camel! But thanks for the advice!

InFrance2014 Mon 14-Dec-15 16:02:18

You could buy an onbuhimo aka onbu instead, they're soft structured carriers without waist belts, supposed to be pretty comfy. Can always resell via Facebook baby wearing groups if you decide you want a different carrier later.

InFrance2014 Mon 14-Dec-15 16:04:04

oh damn just seen you can't do back carry yet... maybe not so suitable then. But you could buy a cheap woven wrap and do high front carries.

BadgerFace Mon 14-Dec-15 16:36:47

I carried my 2.5 year old on my front in my toddler Connecta at about 6 months pregnant so you should be fine with a 6 month old! It's safe as long as it feels comfortable and in a few months your DD might be okay for back carries. I never really got the hang of them and my DD preferred being on my front although it does get quite heavy when they are older, but you should be fine until your bump gets too far in the way!

Madratlady Mon 14-Dec-15 16:54:06

I carried my large and heavy toddler on my back daily until I was about 6 months pregnant, and occasionally after that. I found the connecta uncomfy on my bump though as the waist strap isn't padded, so I used my mei tai.

skankingpiglet Tue 15-Dec-15 14:55:21

How about a ring sling instead? You can pick them up fairly cheaply (much cheaper than the structured carriers. Mine was £20), and could use a front carry tucking DD's head into the sling for more support whilst your bump is smaller. As you and DD grow, and her head control improves, you could shift her around to a hip or back carry. They are surprisingly comfortable, roll up really small when not in use, and the style means when used in a hip/back carry the fabric would run between your boobs and bump.
In terms of how long you can carry her, it all depends on how your body is coping and if you're used to it. If you start now and do it regularly, that would cover the second point. When I was pregnant with my DD, I was carrying a backpack throughout the day for work which weighed around 15kg (it was 25kg at the start of pregnancy but it had to be reduced as I became less able), so it's do-able if your body plays ball smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now