Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Braxton hicks

(3 Posts)
sepa Sun 13-Dec-15 17:34:59

27 weeks in my first pregnancy and I think I have felt braxton hicks. Can anyone tell me what they feel like so I know if I should be concerned?
I am having pain (more annoying than painful) below my bump (kind of where you would get period pains)
It has been on and off all day. I am at hospital anyway tomorrow and midwife this week but didn't want to seem a bit dim and ask if it is just braxton hicks blush

sepa Sun 13-Dec-15 20:41:18

Anyone able to help?

Outaboutnowt Sun 13-Dec-15 20:53:17

Braxton hicks are like tightenings, like when you tense your tummy muscles but it happens involuntarily. The tightening can last for a minute or two IIRC.
I had them a lot during my pregnancy and I can't say they were ever painful, but they were quite uncomfortable sometimes. Sometimes I would get them every 5 minutes, for hours! Annoying!
Does it feel anything like that?
They're nothing really to worry about.
I also had quite a lot of twinges - similar to period pain but not strong pain. Like growing pains.

If you feel in a lot of pain or you're worried, do ring your midwife. Better to get checked out if you feel like something's wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now