Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Finally got BFP and full of cold :(

(14 Posts)
LottieB30 Sun 13-Dec-15 16:47:47

Hi
I am new here and just after some advice/help! We have been TTC for around 11 months and finally got a BFP on Friday 11 December. But this weekend I have been really run down and full of cold/cough/sore throat you name it I've had it! Just wondering what if anything I can take this early on? I would really like to be back to my normal self by Christmas, when we let the immediate family know.
Any advice will be much appreciated!!
Thanks in advance, xx

RatOnnaStick Sun 13-Dec-15 16:49:59

Paracetamol. Thats it really. flowers congratulations on the BFP though.

SweepTheHalls Sun 13-Dec-15 16:50:15

Just paracetamol I'm afraid smile

LottieB30 Sun 13-Dec-15 16:52:18

Thanks both - what is safe amount of paracetamol to take this early on? X

ophiotaurus Sun 13-Dec-15 16:55:01

Just as it says in the box. Hope you feel better soon and congratulations!

RatOnnaStick Sun 13-Dec-15 16:57:06

Normal adult dosage is fine. You are perfectly within your rights to feed your cold with colossal amounts of chocolate/pringles/cheese/your comfort food of choice though. Make the most of it before the morning sickness takes over fsmile

LottieB30 Sun 13-Dec-15 17:05:27

Thanks for the help - this is my first time pregnant. And yes I have spent the day in my PJs eating cheese on toast 😄 x

ShootTheMoon Sun 13-Dec-15 17:17:40

I hate to say it but one of my pregnancy symptoms is congestion and a coldy feeling - it may be the pregnancy rather than a virus!

Ginger and lemon tea with honey is soothing and keep a tissue with Olbas Oil nearby. You can steam and massage your sinuses too.

CityMole Sun 13-Dec-15 17:43:08

Cheese is a bad idea if you have a cold- avoid dairy until any mucous has cleared. Inhaling steam works really well, and have lots of fluids. Congratulations!

mudandmayhem01 Sun 13-Dec-15 17:48:43

Cheese is fine, the dairy mucus thing is an old wife's tale. Congratulations

goodnightdarthvader1 Sun 13-Dec-15 18:08:06

I'm 31 weeks and suffering with a cold. I've consulted my pharmacist and I think it's all helped as it's only lasted a week:

Suggestions include:

- lemon / berry (blackcurrant) diluted with boiled water, add a bit of honey (for your throat) and a couple of soluable paracetamol
- for the cough, you can take simple linctus / Glycerol & liquid sugar (eg Benylin Tickly Coughs, orange box)
- Lockets or Halls throat sweets as long as they don't contain any decongestants (check the label, Lockets Honey & Lemon with menthol and eucalyptus should be fine)
- And of course, Olbas Oil or Vicks on a tissue / in a bowl of steaming water!

Hope you feel better soon, you have my sympathies, it's rotten

xx

LottieB30 Sun 13-Dec-15 18:58:20

Thanks goodnightdarthvader1 that's a great help I will pop to the chemist tomorrow and stock up! smile

Icklepickle101 Sun 13-Dec-15 19:02:27

My pharmacist suggested menthol crystals to help with the congestion and it was a massive relief to be able to breathe again!! I got them from a tesco pharmacy so should be pretty easy to get hold of.

In a bowl of boiling water, then stick a tea towel over your head and breathe it in grin

TaliZorah Sun 13-Dec-15 19:04:31

I was told strepsils/halls were fine. I took those.

I had the flu when I found out I was having DS, it was awful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now