Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

No gp appointment 2nd pregnancy round

(18 Posts)
Kiciaaaa Sat 12-Dec-15 10:48:37

I am just 5 weeks pregnant. I went to the gp but they just gave me a referral to the nearest hospital and told me to wait and I do not need to see a gp because this is my second pregnancy. Is this true?

Thanks xx

toohardtothinkofaname Sat 12-Dec-15 10:56:30

We don't see GPs at all regardless of if first or subsequent pregnancy. Just see midwife around 8/9 weeks who books you in & arranges 12 week scan

Kiciaaaa Sat 12-Dec-15 10:58:51

Oh ok. I remember with my first I had app nearly every week lol. So I guess I will just wait for the hospital to call me.

scaevola Sat 12-Dec-15 10:59:46

Our GPs didn't see you (sent straight to MWs) unless you knew you were likely to need a referral for consultant care from the outset.

That was in late 90s/early00s btw.

Kiciaaaa Sat 12-Dec-15 11:02:28

Well the receptionist just said u don't need to see a gp with you second if you keeping it (kinda rude) and gave me a paper refer all to antenatal clinic in north mid hospital. That's all

Minibelle Sat 12-Dec-15 11:06:23

I just self referred to the midwife. What do you feel you're missing out on by not seeing the gp?

TudorTrace Sat 12-Dec-15 11:07:20

You don't need to see a GP with a second if you're keeping it

How blood rude and profoundly unprofessional shock

Kiciaaaa Sat 12-Dec-15 11:15:05

Minibelle no nothing just didn't know that how it is the second time round ;)

Kiciaaaa Sat 12-Dec-15 11:15:47

TudorTrace tell me about it the worst reception stuff ever.

Kiciaaaa Sat 12-Dec-15 11:16:26

Staff *

seven201 Sat 12-Dec-15 11:20:44

I'm having my first and was told by go receptionist to just call the midwife. Different rules depending on your local authority I think.

Kiciaaaa Sat 12-Dec-15 11:22:04

Hmmm yeah true. It looks like is going to be easy 2nd time around lol

wonkylegs Sat 12-Dec-15 11:24:45

It depends on your health trusts policy and they change all the time. This time last year I was pregnant with no.2 which I sadly lost but I was told I didn't need to see GP just got a straight referral to MW service. Fast forward to this year and they have changed policy and I had to see Gp and be referred.
Made absolutely no difference the GP just checked I was on folic acid and vitD which the MW double checked when she phoned me with my appointment.

SpanglesGalloway Sat 12-Dec-15 11:26:10

I'm 35w and have never seen my GP or surgery midwife. I self referred to the hospital I wanted to go to. I did call the surgery but they said 'if your not worried about anything then you don't need to see gp' congratulations flowers

Kiciaaaa Sat 12-Dec-15 11:34:01

Thanks girls. I self referred myself on the hospital website. I guess now I just need to wait for the call from them ...xxx

Minibelle Sat 12-Dec-15 11:35:08

It was first time for me and a twin pregnancy. Nightmare around here to get a gp appointment so you can just arrange the booking appointment yourself.

Kiciaaaa Sat 12-Dec-15 11:35:33

Sorry to hear this. Yeah I think this depends on where you live. My Wood Green GP is the worst I had in years. So maybe better I go to the midwife straigh xx

kd83 Mon 14-Dec-15 16:29:38

I did a self referral to the mw this time, as first time round I went the the GP with my husband as we were so excited, and she just asked me if I had done a preg test and then said fine and referred me to the mw. Total waste of time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now