Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When should I worry about movement?

(10 Posts)
Greyhorses Fri 11-Dec-15 14:07:09

Sorry first pregnancy and I am proberbly paranoid.

I am 18+2 and have felt baby multiple times a day for over a week now. However for the past 48 hours I have felt barely anything and nothing today at all, should I be worried or is it likley the baby has just moved position?
Should I do anything or just wait it out?

I have my anomaly scan in 9 days and im terrified I will go and it will show a problem!

MusicalFanjo Fri 11-Dec-15 14:14:39

The usual advise is that any change of movement should be checked out, for peace of mind if nothing else.

However 18 weeks is still very early to be feeling movement at all so the baby is absolutely still small enough to tuck away where you can't feel him/her or they could have turned round and is hitting your placenta in which case you won't feel anything. You are advised to look for a pattern/routine of the baby's movements from I believe 28 weeks onwards.

Have you tried the usual cold drink, something sugary and laying on your left side for an hour? I would try that and if still no movement I would go and get checked out.

Greyhorses Fri 11-Dec-15 14:18:06

I have tried eating something sugary and lying on left side but still nothing since I woke up this morning.

Midwife is awful though so I am trying to avoid ringing her if it's something to be expected confused

Sanch1 Fri 11-Dec-15 14:42:20

It's very common at this point for movement to be sporadic as the baby is still small enough to be tucked away at times. With DD1 I didnt feel anything at all until 20 weeks so in theory you could still have felt nothing yet. I wouldnt be concerned but I'm not you so can't comment on what you should do. MW probably wont be concerned at this point.

Everythinggettingbigger Fri 11-Dec-15 14:48:02

Im only 16+2 but its baby no2 so have been feeling movement for a good few weeks now, ive just had 5 days of nothing and baby has just started having a good little wriggle again! I had a booking in app at 15 weeks (due to swapping hospitals) and asked the midwife then and she said its completely normal, from around maybe 24/26 weeks is when your baby would settle down into a pattern and you should notice movements every day. but obviously if you are that concerned please get checked out or peace of mind.

Snoopadoop Fri 11-Dec-15 14:50:16

Speak to midwife of in doubt, but most women don't feel the baby at all until 21-24 weeks. And even once they do it is often sporadic rather than anything consistent.

Fugghetaboutit Fri 11-Dec-15 15:36:53

I doubt they would monitor you so early? Never heard of it myself but call your midwife/hospital for a chat

April2013 Fri 11-Dec-15 16:04:39

I've been advised iced water is key, must have ice in it and to sip it and to lay on left side and to try this for half an hour then call midwife.

Gingerlady123 Fri 11-Dec-15 16:19:28

I was 22 weeks when I phoned maternity assessment/triage as I had not felt baby for two days and they considered that normal even four weeks ahead of you. Don't worry- if you need reassurance phone midwife though but this could happen several more times up until 28 weeks I was told

Greyhorses Sat 12-Dec-15 09:14:40

Thank you to all of you.

Baby must have moved as it has been kicking a little bit this morning. Not as much as before but I can feel it faintly on the right hand side every so often. It must have swam somewhere as i felt nothing yesterday at all!

Pregnancy has done some crazy things to me- paranoia being one of them blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now