Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Accidentally ate chorizo - how worried should I be?

(40 Posts)
soontobemrslizzy Thu 10-Dec-15 17:26:18

I just ate a Spanish omelette from the supermarket that I didn't realise had chorizo in it until half way through, so I didn't heat it up. I know uncooked chorizo is a no no, how much of a risk do you think I actually have? I know I've been far too worried so trying (somewhat unsuccessfully) to not freak out! What do you think?

Twinwife Thu 10-Dec-15 17:27:28

Don't worry, it will be cooked for food hygiene!

dementedpixie Thu 10-Dec-15 17:40:29

Will it not have been cooked when they made the Spanish omelette?

monkeyfacegrace Thu 10-Dec-15 17:41:15

Eh? First baby? winkgrin

I think you may just survive.

SolsburyHell Thu 10-Dec-15 17:41:57

It will be cooked, you will be fine. Don't stress.

Whatsinaname2011 Thu 10-Dec-15 17:42:27

First baby grin you'll laugh that this worry even crossed your mind in a few years time

Mummamayhem Thu 10-Dec-15 17:51:39

Not at all. Your worrying is more harmful than your lunch (sorry if that makes you worry more...I mean just don't fret)

jamtartandcustard Thu 10-Dec-15 17:56:38

Your not meant to eat chorizo???? Oh my I love snacking on the stuff! I'm sure you will survive

soontobemrslizzy Thu 10-Dec-15 18:05:26

Yes, first baby! You know, in hindsight although I sound like an idiot, it probably was cooked in the omelette! Thanks for the reassurance!

Jamtartcustard, you can't eat any cured meats unless they are cooked. They used to be more lax but just this year changed the recommendation because of toxoplasmosis risk. I'm finding it difficult to keep straight because lots of stuff that's not allowed in the US, where I'm from, is here so I'm not sure whose advice to take! In the US, smoked meat and cold sandwich meat is also not allowed.

Twinwife Thu 10-Dec-15 18:19:10

I've been snacking at the cold chorizo while cooking it in my supper at the same time smile

frikadela01 Thu 10-Dec-15 18:23:17

I purposely ate chorizo last night grin I always but the prepackaged stuff at the supermarket though, not from a deli or anything so I figure it'll be fine. Had my booking in today and the mw basically said that yes there's risk but that common sense goes out of the window with pregnancy.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 10-Dec-15 18:28:19

soon the very fact that advice varies from country to country, and even from GP to GP sometimes, demonstrates that you can take a lot of it with a pinch of salt. no more than a pinch though in case that's bad for the baby too

SofiaAmes Thu 10-Dec-15 18:30:08

Your chance from getting food poisoning from a salad is much higher than from chorizo, cooked or uncooked. For that matter, your chance of getting hit by a bus crossing the street might be higher, depending on where you live.

Hamsolo Thu 10-Dec-15 18:43:54

I thought cured meat was ok? I've been tucking into Parma ham with abandon. And I will again!

Fourormore Thu 10-Dec-15 18:45:29

Cured meat is fine in the UK. The US advise against it.

pinkyredrose Thu 10-Dec-15 18:46:58

You're going to give birth to a calf.

Runningupthathill82 Thu 10-Dec-15 19:16:18

As Sofia says, you're more likely - statistically - to get food poisoning from salad leaves than from cured meats or deli meats.
Stop worrying, honestly.

Mouthfulofquiz Thu 10-Dec-15 19:22:43

I've been living on salami, chorizo, and shock horror - Stilton!

frikadela01 Thu 10-Dec-15 19:27:59

Suprisingly Stilton is ok... its the soft blue cheeses that are off limits.

shivermytimbers Thu 10-Dec-15 19:57:02

I just ate 2 slices of salami. On purpose. And yesterday I had a dippy egg with soldiers. I'm doomed aren't I blush

soontobemrslizzy Thu 10-Dec-15 20:22:51

Fourormore, it's probably an overreaction on their part but the NHS do now advise you to cook or freeze cold meats before eating, hence my worry.

dementedpixie Thu 10-Dec-15 20:28:31

Yes but yours has been cooked when the Spanish omelette was made so is not raw

soontobemrslizzy Thu 10-Dec-15 20:39:50

Yes, I totally forgot about that! Whew!

Cheesypop Thu 10-Dec-15 20:42:59

I have a giant leg of iberico ham in my kitchen and just slice bits off when I want a snack... blush

Fourormore Thu 10-Dec-15 20:44:29

Oh my mistake - that's changed since I had a baby 15 months ago!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now