Talk

Advanced search

Just found out!

(4 Posts)
Wombat87 Thu 10-Dec-15 10:37:11

Hi everyone,

So just found out that we are 6wks two days ago. A bit of a shock, we're not expecting this what so ever. I have a few questions and any help graciously received. I've got a doctors appointment on Monday but in the mean time I'm avoiding google like the plague. I'm a bit lost with it all and I don't know where to start. This is #1.

Do I need to start taking vitamins? There's too many out there for me to begin to narrow down what's over kill/what's needed. I eat fairly healthy, I don't smoke anymore (gave up 4months ago would you believe). Is there a particular book or site that anyone would recommend that I could read to understand what I need to do to make sure I do all that I should do?

I've got a weird pain in my left side. Like an ache. I've read about a cyst that helps the embryo before the umbilical cord is established. I'm not doubled over and occasionally it's like a sharp pain. The only reason this concerns me is that I had ovarian cysts a few years ago, when they checked those out and removed them I had a small amount of endometriosis in the fallopian tube that couldnt be removed without potentially causing damage (can't honestly remember what side it was a while back) and they said I had a slightly fixed and tilted womb. I was also on the Mini Pill when this little 'accident' happened... so I guess I'm concerned about ectopic pregnancy. I know no one can answer what it is for sure, but I just have so many questions and appointment with the doctor is not till Monday evening.

To top it all off, I've just moved areas - new doctor who I've never seen before, probably hasn't even received all my medical records with my history. I'm just a bit up in the air. Sorry for rambling.

Thanks you

LlamaLover Thu 10-Dec-15 10:46:44

Congratulations!

To answer your first question about vitamins - see the NHS guide here Have a read through about what they reccomend you do and don't eat too.

No idea about the ache I'm afraid, although aches and pains are very common in pregnancy, even from the early days. With your history I would speak to the doctor and see what they say.

Doctors appointments are not routine in pregnancy at this stage and you may be surprised that they don't even test to make sure you are pregnant, but instead take your word for it. Other than eating right, taking vitamins and getting excited, there isn't much to do in the early weeks really.

Congratulations again, and enjoy!

FourForYouGlenCoco Thu 10-Dec-15 10:55:01

Congratulations!!
Re: vitamins etc, the most important at this point is to make sure you're taking a folic acid supplement, and avoid foods high in vitamin A (pate, liver). Everything else can wait.
The left sided pain is very common, I'm 7 weeks tomorrow and have had it since before my +ve test. It's called a corpus luteum cyst - basically the scar where the egg ovulated from the ovary. It produces the hormones needed to sustain the pregnancy until the placenta takes over towards end of 1st tri. (NB this isn't important, just interesting!) Obviously things are also moving and stretching in ways they've not done before, so cramps, aches and pains are really normal in early pregnancy. Mention your worries to your GP though and s/he might have a feel of your tummy to make sure everything feels normal and soft. Maybe send you for a viability scan to check the pregnancy is in the right place. From what you've said though it sounds completely fine and normal.
Other than that, as Llama said, just enjoy! Come to the August 2016 thread in Antenatal Clubs if you like, we're all at a similar stage and know what you're going through!

Jibberjabberjooo Thu 10-Dec-15 10:59:18

Buy some folic acid tablets as you need to take these until 12 weeks and look at the NHS food website for what to avoid. Don't google as you'll get all sorts of wrong information! Your GP may not do much, you might not even need to see them. In lots of areas you self refer to a midwife for a booking in appointment at 8-10 weeks where they go through you and your partners medical history, take blood, dip your wee for infection and take your blood pressure. Congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now