Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pre-labour signs

(17 Posts)
toohardtothinkofaname Thu 10-Dec-15 09:38:16

Just for fun because I know everyone is different & babies don't work on a schedule!

I'm 37 weeks, baby 3/5 engaged and as of 2 days ago my hands & feet have started swelling & now get terrible carpal tunnel syndrome. I've also been told my lips & face have changed shape & to expect baby next week (by OWT loving aunties). Saw midwife yesterday & she even offered a sweep next week. Hope he doesn't come on Christmas Day! grin

bluewisteria Thu 10-Dec-15 09:43:40

You should probably have your urine tested! Swelling in face hands and feet can be signs of pre eclampsia... Chat to your midwife flowers

toohardtothinkofaname Thu 10-Dec-15 09:58:22

I was there yesterday & all is fine smile

Mimilicious013 Thu 10-Dec-15 11:02:07

Like u said it's really hard to tell exactly when.i had my dd at38 weeks.had my appointment with the gynae and he checked only to tell me that that my cerv wasn't favourable ,he wanted to induce me because of high bp(that check was around 3pm).was so sure baby wouldn't come and ignored the pain i felt tht night like period pains.at 5.30am my waters broke .started feeling contractions 2hrs later.doc was so surprised and baby was born around 9.30am. So anything can happen

Mimilicious013 Thu 10-Dec-15 11:04:48

Good luck hey.i know the waiting game during the last days is the worst!!

bluewisteria Thu 10-Dec-15 17:38:36

That's good!smile

I have no idea re other signs - I was induced with DD1, and DD2 had waters broken to start labour... The only sign was a very fed up Mama!

Hope it all goes well for you.

toohardtothinkofaname Fri 11-Dec-15 12:37:57

Haha bless you! I'm so tempted by the sweep at 38 weeks but just too close to Christmas Day!

BabyBNumberThree Fri 11-Dec-15 14:42:18

I'm 37+5 totally fed up and miserable with it lol. My previous 2 were 16 and 14 days overdue so I know I potentially have another 3 weeks left. Midwife will give me a sweep on 17th and 24th! (Hope he's not a Xmas baby! ) if I'm not looking closer on 24th she'll book my induction for between Xmas and new year. But this time round I've had a ton more braxton hicks, feeling really heavy low down I've had a lot of "stabby vag" feelings yesterday. Nesting like crazy too. I'm desperately awaiting losing my plug as that was the start of things with no.2 but no luck yet. X

CocoDeJour Fri 11-Dec-15 15:08:59

Why are you guys getting a sweep at 38 weeks? I've been offered mine at my 40 week appointment.

I'm 38+1 with my first and only today have I just started getting bad lower back pain and pains on the side of my belly. Worried that labour is near. <terrified>

BabyBNumberThree Fri 11-Dec-15 15:45:34

It's because I go so overdue with my pregnancies my midwife let me have my sweep at my next appointment at 38+5. As after that I'll be after my due date with bank holidays etc after xmas

toohardtothinkofaname Fri 11-Dec-15 16:16:10

They offer them as standard where I am but do recommend holding off. I'm not desperate as having a fairly easy pregnancy so going to skip it anyway. Don't be scared about labour, baby has to come out one way or another so just own it & be amazing!

Ah stabby vag! It feels like he's nipping me down there, I feel your pain - literally!

Daffodil90 Fri 11-Dec-15 16:43:02

Wishing mine would hurry along now! Got all the heartburny symptoms and feeling generally uncomfortable in any sitting/laying position. I'm interested in the carpal tunnel that someone else has mentioned here - my hands are killing me! I had no idea it was a common pregnancy symptom (about 50% of women according to NHS website, now I look it up!)

Love the term stabby vag hahaha, that is how I would describe it!

Not sure she's going to come in the next few days though, 40+2 today, MW couldn't reach for sweeps a couple days ago but we're going to try again at 40+7. Fingers crossed!

toohardtothinkofaname Fri 11-Dec-15 17:02:08

Daffodil; it can be caused by fluid retention or increased blood flow in the run up to labour. I find keeping my arm out straight in front of me, Palm up, helps loads. As does drinking loads more water than usual during the day. Not long to go for you though!

Daffodil90 Fri 11-Dec-15 17:18:10

Good tip, thanks! I've been really thirsty the last few weeks so drinking loads more water isn't/hasn't been a problem!

And fluid retention makes total sense because I've not been able to get my rings off at all. penny drops

I thought it was just the start of my inevitable dance with arthritis (my whole family is riddled with rheumatoid) but relieving to hear it's a common symptom and I can hopefully relax on that point for a while longer!

Good luck with everything, keep us posted and Merry Christmas!

PushAPushPop Fri 11-Dec-15 17:23:39

Sounds weird but I was almost 38 weeks when I woke up with the worst headache. I just couldn't shift it all day and went for a lie down in the afternoon.

When I got out of bed at 5pm, still feeling awful, my waters broke spectacularly and my headache just vanishedconfused

toohardtothinkofaname Fri 11-Dec-15 21:46:44

Thank you daffodil, and you too! grin

Pushapushpop that's so bizarre! I find it so interesting that women can have similar signs but there's no concrete ones that labours about to start, it is literally 'anything goes'! I hadn't heard of headaches before labour, nor increased heartburn that daffodil had which I've strangely been complaining about all week since baby has dropped & it's supposed to ease, not get worse!

BabyBNumberThree Fri 11-Dec-15 22:02:43

its good to hear others have suffered with the carpel tunnel i thought it was just me as I've never suffered before with it. its worried me for weeks although i mentioned it to the midwife she didn't say it was quite common especially in the third trimester.
Yes 'stabby vag' is the best way i can describe it - literally like being stabbed down there it takes my breath away! lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now