Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does everywhere do a 12 week scan?

(9 Posts)
Butterfliesprettybutterflies Wed 09-Dec-15 18:50:51

I'm 8 weeks pregnant and went to the doctor this afternoon (apparently have to see doctor first to be referred to midwife). She said that I should expect a letter from them "a few weeks into January" calling me for a scan that is "usually done after 14 weeks." Now this is my first pregnancy in this country (but third overall) so I queried that wouldn't they need to see me before then as you have to do the nucal fold test before 14 weeks...... She said they don't do a nucal fold test here because "termination isn't an option" (I'm in Northern Ireland) but that she'd put on my notes that I wanted one.

So my question is, isn't the 12 week scan and nucal fold test standard? I can't work out if I just assumed about this because I had it in my other pregnancies and I'd heard people talking about it on Mumsnet, or if the doctor is uninformed.
What have other people had happen? Especially in Northern Ireland. Thanks in advance for clearing up my befuddled pregnant mind!

vvviola Wed 09-Dec-15 18:54:08

Here in the Republic your first scan is often the 20 week scan. For similar reasons I think. (And also for resource reasons - a matter of trying to fit everyone in). I don't remember any screening at all on my first pregnancy (on my second I was in Belgium so they did nuchal fold and bloods)

cloudjumper Wed 09-Dec-15 19:27:54

Your doctor was talking rubbish. In the UK, you have your booking appointment with the midwife at around 8-10 weeks, and she will then arrange your 12-week scan - especially if you want the nuchal translucency test, which needs to be done before 14 weeks. Can you get in touch with the midwife to clarify this?

cloudjumper Wed 09-Dec-15 19:30:26

Sorry, just saw that you're in Ireland! Not sure how it works there, but I don't see why they wouldn't do an NT test... But I'm sure that someone else with more knowledge will be along shortly!

northdownmummy Wed 09-Dec-15 19:35:20

I'm in NI and just had my 2nd baby. The won't do a NT test here, scan could be anywhere from 10 to 15 weeks just depending on which hospital and how busy. I did use a place on belfast for a private reassurance scan (miscarried my last pregnancy) and would highly recommend, it's possible they'd do NT on request ?

PeppermintInfusion Wed 09-Dec-15 19:41:26

I'm in NI too, the no of early scans you get depends on the hospital. The midwives I saw had an ultrasound so I got scanned at booking appt, 12 wk, etc but I know others didn't get that at different hospitals.
Also my scans weren't always at the exactly right week, booking was 7wks, 12 was was actually 13, it depends how busy they are.
You don't get the nuchal test either, think it's due to the laws here, though I think if there are indicators of Down's at your 20 wk scan it would be investigated then, as I know someone who went for an amnio after theirs.
It is possibly offered to those in higher risk categories, eg over 35 etc but not entirely sure on that.

PeppermintInfusion Wed 09-Dec-15 19:42:17

Sorry posted too soon...
You can go to a private clinic for additional antenatal tests though.

Butterfliesprettybutterflies Wed 09-Dec-15 20:40:00

Thanks all - I guess I assumed it was the same as elsewhere!

Cloudjumper - I'm in Northern Ireland so should be the same as the rest of the UK! but clearly there are more differences than I thought! I think I have to wait for the midwife to contact me but I will ask them when they do.

Thanks Northdownmummy and Peppermint Infusion - that's really helpful - I think I might have to look into a private scan. Who knew it was so different here!? I'm a newbie to the area so still learning!

Butterfliesprettybutterflies Wed 09-Dec-15 20:42:18

oh thanks Vvviola too - didn't mean to leave you out! I guess there must be similar policies in the north and republic. 20 weeks does seem awfully late for a first scan - another thing to get used to here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now