Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Heterozygous Factor V Leiden - What to expect?

(6 Posts)
Talcott2007 Wed 09-Dec-15 11:25:11

This is my 1st pregnancy and it's a little unexpected to say the least! (DP and I are both thrilled but terrified as it's not at all what we planned to be doing yet!) Had my 12 week scan last Thursday been told I was 12+4 - had the combined NT scan but still not had any results back - I read on one of the other threads that this is a good sign right??
Surprised that baby was really really active - literally wouldn't stop wriggling and spinning around so it took ages for them to get all the measurements they do! I'm meeting with my consultant for the 1st time tomorrow - I'm Hetrozygous Factor V Leiden which increases the risk of blood clots developing which could also put the baby at risk so I might be put on extra medication - is there anyone who has experience condition and knows what I can expect?? or what questions I should be asking?

Battleshiphips2 Wed 09-Dec-15 21:58:26

Hi op. First of all congrats. What me ds have they put you on for your fvl?

Battleshiphips2 Wed 09-Dec-15 21:59:03

Me ds = meds

Battleshiphips2 Wed 09-Dec-15 22:13:28

Ah just realised you have not been put on meds yet. I have heterozygous fvl and was not on any medication during my first pregnancy, I did however have to self inject a blood thinner for 6 weeks post natal. That was over 8 years ago.
During this pregnancy I was advised to take low dose aspirin from the start, this is to help the placenta, and was also told I would have to inject fragmin (a blood thinner) from 24 weeks.
Unfortunately for me this time I ended up with blood clots in both lungs at 11 weeks pg so have been on fragmin since then. I think that morning sickness was responsible for this as I literally couldn't move from the bed! I think if I'd have been active I wouldn't have got the clots.
The majority of pregnancies go well with no complications though. I hope everything goes ok for you.
You're welcome to pm me if you have any questions.

Talcott2007 Sun 20-Dec-15 18:08:28

Thanks for your response! I'm still getting to grips with using Mumsnet! My consultant was really nice and I have now started on daily injections of Clexane which I've been told to expect to take until at least 6 weeks post natal. The bruising form injecting looks terrible but if it's the best thing for the bump then I'm glad to do it!

stoopstofolly Sun 20-Dec-15 18:21:26

I have this (was discovered after my second DVT!) Had to inject clexane every day for both pregnancies and for 6 weeks after. I got used to it, but the injections often left small bruises, so by the time I have birth I had lots of small bruises over and around both thighs, various shades from purple to yellow. Nice.
Still, I'd take clexane over DVTs any day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now