Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant straight after birth?

(13 Posts)
CumbriaMum91 Wed 09-Dec-15 05:38:30

Has anyone got experience of becoming pregnant straight after giving birth and did you cope well? Would you have waited if you got the chance to go back? Thanks x

hartmel Wed 09-Dec-15 05:47:41

I got pregnant 4 month after giving birth to my first one. It is very hard to be honest.. Especially when you are 8 month pregnant and have spd and your kid can't walk yet. His bedroom is on the second floor so during the day while DH was at work he napped in the living room. We bought a travel cot..

Now they are 2.2 years old and 1.1 years old.
Did I regret that? No. I just sometimes wish the age gab would have been a bit bigger. But when I look at them how they play together, have the same interest. I'm happy the way it turned out..

Regarding coping after the first birth. I was on my feet really quickly but ended up having surgery due to gallbladder stones that occurred during the pregnancy.. After the second birth, I healed up quick. And it easy for me cope as DH stayed home on parental leave for 9 month. So I had a lot of help... I still ended up with Pnd but I think it was more because of the relationship I currently have with my parents..

Good luck

wallywobbles Wed 09-Dec-15 06:53:32

Hard work but fine. Look forward to a lot of eating cold food when you have to help 2 others eat first! Mine ate a lot with their hands by necessity!! Great for playing esp. If same sex.

3littlebadgers Wed 09-Dec-15 14:02:46

I'm pregnant and there will be 10 months between births, unfortunately my daughter was stillborn at 40+5 though. Physically I am finding it ok but mentally I am finding it hard, but I think that has more to do with my loss than the pregnancy itself.
My eldest two have 17 months between them and it was lovely. No regrets at all.

Asteria36 Wed 09-Dec-15 14:12:26

There is only a year between two of my siblings, and the second was a month premature. Quite a sharp turnaround! My mother had an au pair, but that was largely because she had 4 children, an international business to run and her husband was working overseas.
Dsis and Dbro are more like twins and very close - especially as he (eldest) had slight developmental problems and she came out running! They potty-trained at the same time and would play for hours together with their own funny little language.
I wanted to do the same but sadly stopped at 1. I know people who have managed 5 under the age of 5 (single, then triplets then another single birth) and 4 under the age of 4 (all single births, just v quick turnaround). It is exhausting at times, but for the DC it is lovely to be so close in age.

Elfishpresley Wed 09-Dec-15 15:37:08

Sorry for your loss3littlebadgers. Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy flowers

I'm pregnant with DC2 and I have a 5 month old. There will be 12/13 months between them. I know it's going to be very hard work but I keep focusing on the positives, they will be able to entertain each other, share the same interests and we will have the baby stage out of the way in one hit. I'm just praying that this baby doesn't suffer with silent reflux as well as DC1 as that was very trying.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Wed 09-Dec-15 15:51:57

I have a 1 and a 2 year old with 13 months between them. I found it fine but they are good sleepers.

Have just added a 3 week old into the mix.

Generally everyone who said it would be awful had no experience of that age gap.

ThatsNotMyRabbit Wed 09-Dec-15 15:54:23

I was pregnant again when ds1 was 3 months old.

Hard at the beginning but gets easier.

DingbatsFur Wed 09-Dec-15 15:57:47

I think the theory is that it takes your body a year to recover after birth. There is no harm in waiting if you can.

whatsagoodusername Wed 09-Dec-15 16:48:48

It is very hard in the early days. I have very little memory of DS2 as a little baby - there is just under 13 months between him and DS1.

They are 4 and 5 now and it's great. I'm not sure I would plan such a small gap if I were to have two more DC never happening, but it worked out well. I don't regret it.

One of the hardest parts was finding suitable activities for the pair of them at about 6m/18m. Baby things were not suitable for DS1 and toddler things were not suitable for DS2.

Best not to think about it too much if you want to do it. You'll scare yourself grin

Branleuse Wed 09-Dec-15 16:56:33

theres 11.5 months between my last two babies. The pregnancy with dd was very hard when ds2 was a baby. I was really not ready to be pregnant again physically or emotionally and had depression throughout, and also it was hard work, and when I started getting bigger, I couldnt even lift ds2 in and out of his cot as he was quite big, and I kept pulling a muscle.
It kind of ruined ds2s babyhood in a lot of ways and I remember him spending a lot of time in his playpen. I was just exhausted, and I think physically having the two consecutive pregnancies and babies just depleted me and I went a bit nuts.
Saying that, theyre 7 and 8 now, and Its a brilliant age gap now, as theyre like twins, and really great friends

3timesascrazy Thu 10-Dec-15 10:00:42

There is 12 months between my first two children, it was tricky initially but soon became second nature and no where near as tough as people told me it would be! I'm now due no3 anytime now so will have 3 under 3.

I agree with PP with it being hard finding activity groups to suit both children! HV used to Nag at me for not taking them to groups and things but couldn't grasp that there wasn't any available that I could take them both too together

elliejjtiny Thu 10-Dec-15 10:44:54

Sorry for the loss of your dd 3littlebadgers.

My youngest 2 are 12 months apart. Hardest things were leaving DS4 while I was in hospital with DS5/not being able to lift DS4. Now I struggle most with taking them places where I have to get them out of the buggy as I can't carry them both at the same time. Also when they crawl off in different directions. Just before DS5 was born I spoke to a mum of twins who gave me 2 brilliant tips:

1) Don't arrange to be anywhere apart from school before 10am
2) Only take them to places where there are locked gates. We don't go to our local softplay anymore because there isn't always someone manning the front desk and DS4 can open the gate. We go to the one a bit further away with a bolt on the gate and someone always at the front desk. Same with the park.

It's hard but also great. My boys are 2.5 and almost 1.5 now. DS4 has development delay and DS5 has speech delay so they are similar to twins except DS4 is a lot bigger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now