Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

pain under/in rib area.

(18 Posts)
JaneS16 Mon 07-Dec-15 21:12:25

Another post from me. 🙈
I've been suffering with pain under/in my rib area. It's making g me feel quite uncomfortable. It gives me a full & sick feeling. My next midwife appointment isn't till the 17th December so I'll mention it then. But I was just wondering if anyone has had this feeling or is suffering with it.
I think it'd safe to say pregnancy has made me paranoid.

Thanks ladies

UptownFunk00 Mon 07-Dec-15 21:22:27

How many weeks are you and how would you describe the pain?

JaneS16 Mon 07-Dec-15 21:32:25

Sorry forgot to mention that. 22 +1. Uncomfortable and painful.

UptownFunk00 Mon 07-Dec-15 21:37:18

Have you had your BP checked recently? I was always told to watch out for rib pain for pre-eclampsia which I did get but without the rib pain.

I get a bit of discomfort now but I'm 30 weeks so expect it's the length of the baby as I am short.

Are you getting any wind/heartburn with the pain?

TwinMama30 Mon 07-Dec-15 21:42:31

I had exactly the same thing from about 16 weeks.

With me, it was my body producing relaxin (a hormone that relaxes the ligaments ready for labour). This relaxed all my ribs and, what with all my other organs being pushed up to make room for my twins, caused significant rib pain. I had days where I couldn't even walk as it was so bad.

Sadly, there's not much that can be done other than painkillers and rest. I did find stretching my arms above my head helped (a good exercise is to stand facing the wall, put your hands on top of each other, place them on the wall and then slide them up the wall to stretch your rib cage). I'd go and see your GP though as they will be able to prescribe painkillers (though sadly they did nothing to help me).

Good luck, I know how miserable it is.

JaneS16 Mon 07-Dec-15 21:44:26

At my last MW appointment. Is it not to early for me pre-eclampsia?
I've had awful heartburn. Starting to wonder if this could be wind. I've never had trapped wind before but heard it can be painful.
Had it for most of the day today. Drifted away then came back after dinner.

Minibelle Mon 07-Dec-15 21:46:47

I had this it was awful could only get comfortable on my knees leaning over the back of the sofa. Mine was a twin pregnancy and I think it was things stretching and moving around.

I had pre eclampsia and this wasn't a symptom for me.

UptownFunk00 Mon 07-Dec-15 22:02:17

You can get pre-eclampsia from 20 weeks but usually it starts in the third trimester.

Could be heartburn. I've had terrible heartburn too.

Junosmum Mon 07-Dec-15 22:38:31

I have this, usually at night for me it's combination of a full bladder pushing baby upwards and trapped wind once I pee, walk around a bit and fart it seems to ease.

SunnyDays1987 Tue 08-Dec-15 10:33:44

I had rib pain earlier in pregnancy and then had pre eclampsia rib pain at the end of my pregnancy. They didn't feel the same at all. Pre eclampsia rib pain was absolute agony. It felt like someone was ramming a red hot poker in to the centre of my chest, I couldn't be in any position at all and struggled to breathe. I'd definitely mention it but if it's relatively mild I think it's unlikely to be pre eclampsia!

LumpySpaceCow Tue 08-Dec-15 19:42:24

I've had horrific pain from trapped wind (pathetic I know) in the same area (it was that bad that they considered pre eclampsia!).
I find that peppermint tea and paracetamol help x

MissTink Wed 09-Dec-15 00:34:31

I had this pain in my first pregnancy and it's now started again in my second pregnant. Mine was caused by sludge in my gall bladder brought on by pregnancy hormones. It is agony have never felt pain like it before. Resulted in weeks in hospital after many trips to my doc it was finally picked up in blood tests showing it was poisoning my pancreas and liver. I felt it mainly on my left side under my ribs was told was differed pain. Have since found out gallbladder problems can be quite common during pregnancy.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 10-Dec-15 09:03:12

My friend had this at 27 weeks, sadly it was pre-eclampsia and baby had to be delivered. She's just taken him home one day before his due date!

Can you give your MW a call and ask for advice? Better than ignoring it

99percentchocolate Thu 10-Dec-15 09:09:05

Sounds like it could be costochondritis, though obviously see your midwife/GP if you are in pain.

whatsoever Thu 10-Dec-15 18:51:54

How is baby lying? Mine varies between head down and transverse, and the pain in the ribs is when she's transverse (as far as I can tell) so I've put it down to a skull or limbs digging right in. I get short of breath with it too, as lungs a bit squished when she's sideways.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Fri 11-Dec-15 19:10:52

My baby had his foot pushed up against my bottom rib - I can't remember how early the pain started but it must have been around week 25 or even earlier. He was born with a squashed foot from where it had been pushed into my rib! But his foot straightened out within a few weeks.

Cinnamon2013 Fri 11-Dec-15 19:16:58

I had this in my last (uncomplicated) pregnancy and have it again now. First time I think it was ribcage expanding slightly to make room, this time it's feet/head etc under there, comes and goes. Keep an eye on it but try not to worry, I was told it was very common

mrsmugoo Fri 11-Dec-15 22:17:23

I had agonising rib pain from about 20-odd weeks because my son was breech. I felt like I was being prized apart by some medieval torture device.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now