Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

14 Weeks and what to do/buy!:)

(20 Posts)
SophieC13 Mon 07-Dec-15 18:26:43

Hi everyone! I am 14 weeks and wondering what you all think about what I need to do! Do I need to buy anything? Is it best to wait? First baby! Thank you!smile

PrincessPunzie Mon 07-Dec-15 18:29:45

I'm 14+1 today and not planning to buy anything or make any plans for the nursery etc. until at least after my 20 week scan, if that helps.

SophieC13 Mon 07-Dec-15 18:30:51

I'm glad I'm not the only one! One of the girls I work with is also pregnant and has bought the pram and nursery furniture and did so at 12 weeks! A little to keen for me!

MrsPCR Mon 07-Dec-15 18:36:37

Didn't buy anything at all until 20 week scan. After that, bought a cute baby grow and then bought a cot at about 22 weeks as the one we wanted was discontinued. Beginning to gradually buy stuff now at 24 weeks of it's on offer.

mrsjoker35 Mon 07-Dec-15 18:47:35

I didnt start picking up stuff till 25 weeks, but please,try not to pick up too much because you'll be shocked at how much people will want to help you out!
My friends and family helped out so much so, the only big buy i had to get was my pram ! And its helped me keep money away so I'm not struggling the winter months to keep her going in general and its helped me enormously smile so yeah, don't try to stress too much especially just now, i was feeling sorry for myself in bed with morning sickness at 14 weeks haha! Enjoy,and good luck flowers

PrincessPunzie Mon 07-Dec-15 18:50:07

I'm sure you're far from the only one! I did pick up a still-tagged tiny Tigger t-shirt in a charity shop on the day I had my 12-week scan, but that's been it! I figure that in the unlikely event that the 20-week scan flags up any problems I wouldn't want to have baby things around in the aftermath. I feel like it will also be good to get Christmas out of the way before I have to think about it all - I'm guessing our 20-week scans will come around in mid-January, the time will probably fly by and then there'll be plenty of time for brain overload with it all! Enjoy the calm before the storm smile

SophieC13 Mon 07-Dec-15 18:56:50

Aww thank you all! Feeling much better about not buying anything now! smile

strawberrypenguin Mon 07-Dec-15 19:00:49

I'm 14 weeks too - second baby for me though so hoping not to need too much! Like others I won't start really looking at what we need until after 20 weeks and I don't plan on buying things like a new cot mattress until after baby is here. They'll be in a Moses in our room for a couple of months anyway.
If you come across any you like though it might be worth investing in a couple of comfy pairs of maternity trousers of you haven't already.

JennyC520 Mon 07-Dec-15 19:06:25

Honestly, don't buy anything until wayyyyyyyyyy down the line. It's my 1st pregnancy too and I bought a lot of stuff quite early on, I'm 36 weeks now. I definitely regret most of it now but it's too late for refunds etc! I was too excited and didn't really think if I'd needed the stuff before I got it. e.g a newborn set of steraliser and bottles (i'm going to be breastfeeding so don't need about 90% of the set).

Like someone else said, a lot of people will offer to buy you stuffsmile especially clothes... I have soooooooooo much from people.
I'd say buy stuff like nappies and wipes if they're on promotion, stuff that you know baby will use a lot of quickly.
The thing you could do right now is look online to compare and research things. The thing I found hardest to buy and spent a lot of time researching was the travel system/pushchair. But don't buy anything too soon. I got my pushchair and car seat about 2 months ago... and found out that during the black Friday period, there was an offer of free carseat with pushchair!!! I couldve saved 135£ if I had waited to buy it!!

Nousername2015 Mon 07-Dec-15 19:55:23

The only thing we bought 'early' was our pram at 17 weeks - it had been discontinued so was super cheap. Now 34 weeks and panicking as I feel we've left it too late! Go with whatever you feel comfortable with, there's no right or wrong time really.

mrsmugoo Mon 07-Dec-15 20:04:17

I'm 14 weeks too and not planning on buying a single thing until we at least find out the sex (I already have a DS). If it's another boy I probably won't buy a single new thing!

Inwaiting Mon 07-Dec-15 22:26:58

Ill be 16 weeks by January and I was planning on having a look at whether there's any deals to be had in the sales on big items like nursery furniture, prams, monitors, car seats etc

60sname Tue 08-Dec-15 00:51:24

I booked us onto the NCT course at around 14 weeks - I think we got the last slot!

5hell Tue 08-Dec-15 08:56:16

I dont think you need to buy anything yet, but if you fancy buying a little something to celebrate, then do! grin - I'm 24w and still only have a cardigan (12w scan celebration), a blanket (20w scan celebration) and 4 cloth nappies (a gift)

I'm starting to reserach and gather lists of possibilities, as I figure I can then keep an eye out for when items i need are on sale etc

congratulations!

comeagainforbigfudge Tue 08-Dec-15 09:11:02

Aw congratulations 😃

Don't buy anything just yet. BUT start your research. There are loads of threads about "what do I need for baby"

I recommend clothes wise - one pack of vests and one of baby gros. You may be given SOOOOO MANY outfits as presents. We never got through all of ours! But if you need to buy more, well shops are open long enough to get what you need when you need been it.

If you have an aldi near you keep an eye out for their baby events and stock up on wipes and nappies. Although we only bought and one pack of size 1's at a time as grew out of them quickly!

SunnyDays1987 Tue 08-Dec-15 10:29:58

I didn't start buying much until 30+ weeks really. But I left quite a few things to get whilst I was on maternity leave, but I ended up with pre eclampsia and was admitted into hospital in the middle of the night before my maternity leave even started so next time I will be a bit more prepared earlier on!! But definitely not as early as 14 weeks!!

Everythinggettingbigger Tue 08-Dec-15 11:38:33

with my first I ordered my pram at 12 weeks, I seen someone with it when I went for my first drs app at 5 weeks to tell them I was pregnant and fell in love with it, but it was expensive so needed plenty of time to pay it off.....to be honest only for the fact there's lots of twins in both families is the only reason we waited until 12 weeks. You buying the big things is not going to cause or change anything, yes it might be harder to have to go and cancel your order (sorry im not trying to frighten you, more reassure) but if you are like us, we needed the time to pay it off. If anybody offered to buy the big things we had already bought (like the cot for example) they just reimbursed us for what we had paid so didn't really matter.

Pg with 2nd now....16 weeks today and have bought a few white baby grows (for the hospital, I had some gorgeous ones for DS1 and by the time we had visitors he had already vomited on them all and was in one way too big for him so just wanted some plain white ones for this reason), ive bought bottles because they were on offer (before 12 weeks) even though I plan on bf incase it doesn't go to plan (had breast augmentation which may cause a problem) and also nearly ordered a pram a few weeks ago but decided not to due to deciding to use the pram from DS1. If it wasn't for Christmas we would have bought nursery furniture but that will be after Christmas now, maybe January sales.

My DSIL didn't want to buy anything too early so was waiting for her mat leave to start....baby was born 3 weeks early and her pram isn't even ready yet.

GoApeShit Tue 08-Dec-15 12:58:59

I didn't start buying anything until 30 weeks.

laughingGnomette Tue 08-Dec-15 14:27:14

The problem with buying a (brand new) buggy early is that the warranty starts on the purchase date, not the date you start using it. Also, manufacturers tend to bring out new styles and models with improvements so you'd be stuck with an older version (fine if you've got it at a discount though! smile)

Sgoinneal Tue 08-Dec-15 15:01:49

I bought the pram I wanted at 14 weeks, only because I definitely wanted that one, it was being discontinued and was massively discounted. Agree with others that say round about 24 weeks I started insane nesting, and started buying. Good to save for the buying now, though 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now