Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Student Midwife?

(52 Posts)
princesspineapple Sun 06-Dec-15 19:20:52

Has anyone has a student midwife following them? Or in less stalkerish terms, is anyone a caseholding client?
At my last few midwife appointments, there's been a student with her the last few times checking my BP etc... When I went this week they asked if I was happy for her to be a part of things the rest of the way, coming to my growth scans etc, and eventually come to the birth.
I said yes because everyone has to start somewhere and she's a lovely girl... But just wondered about other people's experiences really?

frillyfairylights Sun 06-Dec-15 19:25:02

I had student midwives present at both of my children's births. Had two homebirths so they were particularly excited!

Both were delightful, completely respectful of my and dp's wishes, and a useful extra pair of hands. Both got to cut the respective cords as dp didn't want to grin

I felt the same as you, that everyone has to start somewhere, and actually I'm so pleased that I was able to help them on their way to becoming qualified midwives.

madsaz76 Sun 06-Dec-15 19:33:35

I'm a doctor not a midwife but had to be signed off for 10 deliveries.

I am eternally grateful to the women who allowed me to be part of their births. I can see why people would say no. For me I was never unsupervised, always extremely careful & there was no risk of me cocking something up so great was the supervision.

It's a very individual decision - but I can tell you as a student we are thankful for any involvement i.e. even if she came for scans but not delivery I am sure she would be grateful.

HelenaJustina Sun 06-Dec-15 19:39:25

I had a student at my last home birth, she was nearing the end of her first year and had never seen one. She was very sweet and was in charge of all the tea and toast making! And I vaguely remember her rubbing my back quite effectively at one point DH is never firm enough and having some things explained to her (like when I almost fell asleep during transition as everything stopped for 10 minutes)

I would always say yes to students now as my DB is a doctor and found it incredibly difficult to get his quota of births when he was doing his obs and gyn rotation. He was much much more likely to be able to get into theatres than to witness vaginal deliveries and I think could have ended up giving him a slightly skewed outlook on the whole birthing process.

BikeRunSki Sun 06-Dec-15 19:44:46

A student midwife diagnosed DS as footling breech. I was 37 was pg and 9 cm dilated. 10 mins earlier (and 3 days earlier) two different midwives told me he was 80% engaged!

As you say, everyone has to start somewhere, and sometimes it is useful to have fresh ideas and another opinion.

Lj8893 Sun 06-Dec-15 19:54:01

I'm a student midwife and next year will be case loading. I am so grateful to the women who have let me be a part of their pregnancy and birth so far in my training and will be extremely thankful to the women who let me caseload with them.

Thank you to all of you who have allowed students to be a part of your experiences. flowers

Iammad Sun 06-Dec-15 20:17:26

I had a student midwife with my second childs birth.
I was his risk (had pre eclampsia) and induced.
She was brilliant, it ment I had two midwifes with me at all times.
Can not fault her and would have a student midwife again.

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 06-Dec-15 20:17:26

My wonderful caseload women have my undying devotion!

There are plus points for you too, they will be on call for you in labour so you should have someone you know at the birth, you'll be more likely to get true continuity of care which is nice.

I continue to be truly amazed whenever women consent to me taking care of them, especially when it means they need to have vaginal examinations checked by the mw too. Heck the women who put up with my fumbling first attempts and my inability to take blood for a good year and a half are absolute saints!

Persephone76 Sun 06-Dec-15 20:23:29

I've had students at my midwife appointments this time round and in labour with my last child. They were all delightful and (aside from my labour midwife who was wonderful too) much nicer and more caring than the qualified midwives they were learning from. Only downside was that, particularly in the community setting, the qualified midwife kept ignoring me to talk to and instruct them. Not the students' fault though!

TeamSteady Sun 06-Dec-15 20:49:38

I had a student mw at DS2's rather dramatic birth. She was amazing!! She stayed the full 12 hours of her shift plus a further 2 to see him out! She was kind, supportive, funny and respectful. Wouldn't hesitate to have another student present for this one.

rudolphistheboss Sun 06-Dec-15 20:58:55

I had a student with me for my ds' birth. 12 hours from a sweep whilst waiting for induction which started a rather dramatic labour ending in an emergency c section after it was realised ds was in a face first presentation. She was fantastic, and as I was her 'project' for the night she was constantly with me and dealing only with me, which was a massive benefit as the ward was packed to the limits and the qualified midwives were rushed off their feet. She stayed with me all through the labour and c section, waiting to do my postop obs and meet ds before clocking off. Would def have a student again.

PurpleThermalsNowItsWinter Sun 06-Dec-15 21:08:38

I had a student midwife for ds1. I was her first 4th degree tear and haemorrhage patient. She had a baby herself the following year and was my qualified midwife for dd. She remembered me too.

randomsabreuse Sun 06-Dec-15 21:09:39

Had a student at my birth and a returner doing some pre and post birth appointments. They were great, especially the student at the birth who played good cop/bad cop with my DH to great effect.

April2013 Sun 06-Dec-15 21:12:38

I had a few throughout and on postnatal ward, they were a godsend smile

MrsMillions Sun 06-Dec-15 21:18:14

Not been a caseload patient but had students antenatally and on ward with DD1, for post natal MW check after DD2, and in labour both times. All positive experiences.

For DD2 it was the student's first shift on labour ward so she mostly just observed, although I did ask the MW to pipe down when she was explaining her stitching process - didn't want to know what was happening down there!!

Nearly-qualified student on ward with DD1 was particularly lovely and helpful with breastfeeding, at the time she was struggling to find a job, hope she got there in the end.

LibrariesgaveusP0wer Sun 06-Dec-15 21:22:16

I never had one at a birth. But my birth plan said yes to student mw's and any doctor who was going to stay with me. What I said no to was a whole pile of med students suddenly piling in because I needed forceps or to witness the five minutes of delivery.

SellFridges Sun 06-Dec-15 21:22:33

I had a student Dr with me when I was in labour with DD. She stayed from 5am when they finally transferred me to delivery suite after 3 days in labour until after my EMCS that evening. She then arrived on the ward at about 9:30 the next day to thank me and explain what she had learnt. The rest of the staff were bloody awful.

DrewsWife Sun 06-Dec-15 21:28:28

I'm a student nurse. If a patient gives consent for me to be with them I'm grateful. If they don't give me consent. I'm ok with that too.

Consent and patients emotional views are drummed into us.

This week I have been at patients bedsides who are terminally ill, some who were medical emergencies and others who are post op. Some have consented. Others not.

Because a terminally ill patient allowed me to be with her, I was able to spot a patient who went downhill and alert a doctor and nurse. I only noticed as I popped into the room to check a buzzer at another bed.

The nurse was with another patient.

I'm keen to take obs and observe. These things are small to some. But how I learn. The books can teach me so much. But to watch a patient and be led by their feelings and emotions teaches me so much more.

I'm learning to control my emotions. To maintain a patients dignity. To not burst into tears when a patient does because they have been given the news that they are terminal....

I assume student midwives are much the same.

But apart from my ramble... You are under no obligation to allow them. Someone else will.

It won't affect them.

If it does that isn't your worry either.

We are in this field of degree because we have a genuine need to help, to care for people.

ThePortlyPinUp Sun 06-Dec-15 21:34:41

I had a student midwife with me when dd1 was born, she was fantastic and I would have allowed a student in for the next three births if they had asked.
I'm now a student nurse and I'm very grateful when someone allows me to observe or perform a procedure on them.

Crazybaglady Sun 06-Dec-15 22:21:55

I had a student at my home birth, it was her first birth, she was fine, barely even noticed her!

princesspineapple Sun 06-Dec-15 22:54:41

Thanks for all the replies everyone... So pleased you all had positive experiences!
This is my first baby and will be the first birth that the student midwife has attended too, so we'll just be going in blind together, which I find strangely reassuring! I'm also a bit on the high risk side but she's so enthusiastic about everything going well it's hard not to be positive with her smile
My DP has been a bit wary about cutting the cord so he's quite pleased that she'll be able to do that if she wants and he can say it's all for her education, not that he's a big wuss haha!

SeriousStuff Mon 07-Dec-15 00:55:18

With DC1, I had in my birth plan that I didn't want a student midwife at the birth. But baby came early and I hadn't printed it off. Was in so much pain that, when they asked if it would be ok I just agreed. She was very sweet but did not listen to be when I told her not to touch me (she kept stroking my back and I didn't want ANYONE touching me!) I must have asked/shouted at her a dozen times!

Chattymummyhere Mon 07-Dec-15 11:09:20

I've had many student mw's in on observations and has agreed to one being at my last homebirth however bless her she arrived minutes after the baby was born but she got to see all the after bits and checking the baby over. If I end up getting asked this time about the birth I will say yes, hell the more mw's who are paying all their attention to the safety of me and my baby the better, it's one of the reason I like home births as I get 2 mw's rather than 1 split between many women.

alltouchedout Mon 07-Dec-15 11:16:19

A student midwife was at my last birth. I went a bit psycho during the last 40 mind or so - actually I was vile- and I think she was a bit shocked. My midwife told me later, at the 5 day follow up appt, that the student had expressed to her that she didn't know how she'd have coped with my rage if she was the midwife in charge. Apparently my midwife thought it was good for her to see!

carapace Mon 07-Dec-15 13:04:17

The student midwife who was at some of my appointments with my first DS was the only person I knew when we were sent to the Labour Ward. It was actually so nice to see a familiar face. She was the only vaguely consistent presence I experienced through two pregnancies. I'd totally definitely say yes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now