Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

bacterial vaginosis anyone?

(7 Posts)
kaymondo Sat 05-Dec-15 14:23:58

Been struggling with what I thought was thrush for a few days but have just used one of the new canistest tests which is indicating bacterial vaginosis rather than thrush.

Have just checked the nhs page which says it can be dangerous in pregnancy so called 111 as my GP is closed. Currently waiting for a call back from a nurse.

Has anyone got any experience of this in pregnancy? I'm currently 11+2 and feeling pretty worried.

gemsparkle84 Sat 05-Dec-15 15:21:35

You need to get some proper swabs done. Don't worry it's easily treated you'll be fine x

dementedma Sat 05-Dec-15 15:31:10

Wasn't pregnant when I had but a dose of mega antibiotics cleared it up and gave me thrush

sepa Sat 05-Dec-15 17:07:33

I had it pre pregnancy. Took 2 doses of antibiotics to treat for me. Dr dos a swab first time but gave me antibiotics before results came back. Not sure why it would be bad in pregnancy?

spacefrog35 Sat 05-Dec-15 17:21:05

There is some evidence that BV can get past the cervix and cause complications such as premature birth. It's unlikely, but good to get it treated promptly.

kaymondo Sat 05-Dec-15 18:54:15

Thanks all. Nurse finally called back and said risk was minimal in my circumstances so no need to rush to out of hours over the weekend but to get to GP on Monday. Saves me a few hours waiting around tmw, now just got to get past the dreaded doctor's receptionist to get an appointment on Monday morning!

gamerchick Sat 05-Dec-15 19:01:48

You're better off going to a GUM clinic than your GP. They'll diagnose you while there and give you the treatment. You can get the cream to treat rather than the ABs if you want because the ABs are bloody awful but I don't know if it can be used during pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now