Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

bacterial vaginosis. how worried should I be?

(5 Posts)
bippitybopityboo Fri 04-Dec-15 21:37:07

Hey all just found out today that I have BV and was wondering how likely it is to cause miscarridge? I've had it roughly a week before I could get swabs done (gp refused) started on metronidazole 400mg today for 1 week so hopefully will be sorted. Just worried now as I know it can cause miscarridge. Is this common?

miniswin Fri 04-Dec-15 23:19:53

No, it's not common at all for BV to cause miscarriage, but needs to be treated, so you're doing exactly the right thing. Just complete the full course of antibiotics and watch out for any recurring symptoms, you may want to contact your midwife or a maternity assessment unit if your hospital has one if you have any concerns, they are more likely to be receptive. Having worked with/in both, we would always have a very low threshold for swabbing/treating unusual vaginal discharge.

kaymondo Mon 07-Dec-15 15:49:17

I posted about this at the weekend - have just got swabs done today but apparently have to wait until Thursday for the results so I'll have had it a week before I actually get any treatment. Very frustrating (and uncomfortable!) but can understand they don't want to describe medication without proper cause.

When I mentioned about miscarriage risk to my GP this morning she said there was minimal evidence linking BV with miscarriage and the evidence there was is connected more with late miscarriage/pre-term labour, which was reassuring for me as I'm only 11 weeks.

bippitybopityboo Mon 07-Dec-15 16:20:50

Yeah I had the it for more than a week cause my doctors and nurses wouldn't do swabs on a pregnant lady but also couldn't direct me to who could. Rediculous. I went to my local sexual and reproductive health clinic and they were fantastic did the swabs, took them to the lab, diagnosed and prescribed within 2 hours!! Hope all goes well I can't help but worry constantly!!

nuttybananas Tue 08-Dec-15 14:44:37

how far are you into your pregnancy? My GP said it was more of a concern in the final trimester. I'm in first trimester and swab results were borderline satisfactory so I haven't been given any antibiotics, but as I get later on if I feel its happening again I'll be back to the GP again...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now