Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I have my line.... now what?

(10 Posts)
BunchOfBobs Fri 04-Dec-15 08:22:01

When do I contact my gp?
I took two tests this morning, both a faint line, but even DH can see them. This will be my first. At what point do I contact my gp?

I'm taking another test on Sunday to check the line has darkened. Should I wait until I'm sure it has?

I'm so excited and nervous.

Champagneformyrealfriends Fri 04-Dec-15 08:28:14

I just had to ring and make an appointment with the midwife for 8 weeks. If you ring reception they should sort it out for you! Ring them next week if you're wanting to do another test xx

BunchOfBobs Fri 04-Dec-15 08:29:18

Thanks * Champagne.*
I'll do that.

eckythumpenallthat Fri 04-Dec-15 08:33:18

At my surgery you can't self refer. Just make a non urgent gp appointment (so anything up to 2 weeks). They did BP, told me to take folic acid, not to drink or smoke and they did the referral and had my booking in appointment around week 10

Chattycat78 Fri 04-Dec-15 08:34:12

It's very undramatic I'm afraid. You need to contact the gp to make a booking appointment with the midwife - but this doesn't usually happen til you're at least 7 or more weeks pregnant. So immediately, you don't need to do anything. I suppose you could call them to make the appointment but I'm guessing it would be a few weeks away. The only other thing to do is to take folic acid if you're not already, stop drinking, and stop eating any of the foods on the list of dodgy foods to eat when pregnant. Congratulations!

Champagneformyrealfriends Fri 04-Dec-15 08:34:51

Congratulations! Xx

TheWordOfBagheera Fri 04-Dec-15 08:37:44

Ring your GP soonish but you don't need an appointment - they should be able to give you the number of the community midwife over the phone. The midwife will probably want a rough idea of dates in order to get your booking visit organised, but it won't be in any big hurry unless you're at least 8/9/10 weeks along already.

Congratulations flowers

TheWordOfBagheera Fri 04-Dec-15 08:38:53

Oops, big x-post!

Take folic acid supplements if you're not already btw.

BunchOfBobs Fri 04-Dec-15 08:40:09

Thanks everyone.
I've been on folic acid since September and not a big drinker anyway. A bit gutted I can't eat any stinky cheese as I'm off to Paris soon but hey ho wink
I think I'll wait until next week for booking but then I think the appointment will be for early new year (supposedly I'm 3 weeks) so hopefully there's appointments then.

DH is keeping so level headed about it but before he left for work he said to the dog "You're going to be a big brother" made my heart melt a little. I bet he's terrified!

toohardtothinkofaname Fri 04-Dec-15 09:14:12

It's so weird; you're actively TTC, get pregnant aaaaaand then nothing until around 8 weeks with the mw grin call your docs & they'll let you know if you book direct with mw or have to see doctor. You'll get booked in around 8 weeks & that's when they'll book your 12 week scan. Congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now