Talk

Advanced search

accidental alcohol

(55 Posts)
MrsCrimshaw Thu 03-Dec-15 18:42:21

So last night OH bought home some mince pie icecream (I am 39+2 and need my treats!)

this: www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=44&productId=681260&storeId=10151&krypto=6%2BT8Q7vjgYIU4wtiqUJtj9igxyO28SHeN3YzsIp4%2BDq0r60xn1gVk%2Fw2R5S%2BN6oicLfOFBda%2BKOA%0AzXMwvvOOaRh2tWuY8RQbDfgLiScX3nPiY1LoNDB7WsErQeIPFY9eLuGG0OyWXa4iiS5QcmYwuQ%3D%3D

which all seemed well and lovely but it tasted very strongly of brandy. Are you sure there's no alcohol in this? I asked OH. Nothing on the label, says he, but it does taste rather strong.

So we go and read the ingredients, and lo and behold we see brandy about half way down the list. I had only had 2 spoons, but I was really miffed. Shouldn't this be advertised more clearly on the label? There is nothing on the front or in the description to say it has alcohol in it.

bittapitta Thu 03-Dec-15 18:57:22

Why does it matter?

bittapitta Thu 03-Dec-15 18:59:38

Any ABV on the label? Nothing on that website listing.

It contains a negligible amount of alcohol regardless. Looks tasty.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 03-Dec-15 19:03:12

You haven't harmed your baby, if that's what you're worried about

Dixiechick17 Thu 03-Dec-15 19:03:34

I didn't drink alcohol when I was pregnant. However if it was in foods I considered it such a negligible amount that I carried on having things like white wine sauce, brandy cream etc. I really wouldn't worry.

MrsCrimshaw Thu 03-Dec-15 19:05:28

Well I haven't consumed alcohol since Jan last year and I hadn't planned on doing it before baby was born!

There isn't any ABV percentage on the label, so yes I guess it must be pretty low, even though it tastes really strong. It will just have to wait in the freezer until after he/she is born, but I was surprised it could have alcohol in it and it not be clearly marked.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 03-Dec-15 19:06:24

Chill. Out.

MrsCrimshaw Thu 03-Dec-15 19:07:07

Do I sound neurotic? Guess I'm just a little paranoid hmm

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 03-Dec-15 19:07:42

If it was in the ingredients then it was clearly marked! People who have an ethical objection to alcohol would check the ingredients - you have an objection on health grounds and as you know the amounts are negligible so not enough to cause a problem.

badg3r Thu 03-Dec-15 19:08:06

If it's got so little in that there's no abv then I really wouldn't worry.

MrsCrimshaw Thu 03-Dec-15 19:16:27

Thank you for the reassurance. It didn't even cross my mind that it might contain alcohol, so we hadn't read the ingredients list, any more than if we'd bought strawberry.

Paranoia over. It is tasty though ;)

lljkk Thu 03-Dec-15 19:18:37

hahahaha. You know 15 yrs ago it was really ordinary to have actual alcohol that was enough to both easily taste & even go to your head (a bit).

Dunno what to say, what you had was nothing! Forget about it.

bittapitta Thu 03-Dec-15 19:21:05

I had a small glass of actual wine the other night OP shock what are you paranoid about? If you're breastfeeding will you eat it?!

laughingGnomette Thu 03-Dec-15 19:23:20

If under 18s are able to buy it then I'm sure you'll be fine!

I agree, it is a very tasty ice cream smile

AnyoneButSanta Thu 03-Dec-15 19:26:18

Honestly you'd get more alcohol from drinking a glass of orange juice or eating an over-ripe banana. I can see that it would be upsetting for observant Muslims or the very few people with extreme alcohol allergy, but that's what ingredients labels are for.

hufflebottom Thu 03-Dec-15 19:26:33

Don't worry about it. Were they nice and would you recommend them?

I'm planning on having nursing a cider on Christmas Day and I'll be 32 weeks then.

ethelb Thu 03-Dec-15 19:28:12

I almost think this is a sort of stealth boast ie look at me being so careful I'm upset about 2 teaspoons of mince pie that may contain brandy.

I mean seriously you must know that two teaspoons of neat brandy wouldn't make any difference?

Or you really don't understand the guidelines.

Which is it?

NerrSnerr Thu 03-Dec-15 19:33:51

bet you have had alcohol in food when eating out or something but you just haven't realised. It won't make any difference if you eat a whole crate of them.

It seems daft to freeze them if you like them! Just eat them.

Mrscog Thu 03-Dec-15 19:41:06

Get the ice cream back out, get a spoon, eat it and chill right out. There is no way it will cause any harm.

eternalopt Thu 03-Dec-15 19:41:51

I knew it's easy for others to say "ah, don't worry. I had alcohol during pregnancy and it's fine" (and I did have the odd glass of wine and midwife said it was ok as I was one of her good patients and she knew that I'd be sensible about it!) but I guess that's no comfort if you've decided to abstain completely for the duration. However, the amount of alcohol would be negligible - it's got to survive the cooking and the pasteurisation and if there was any actual alcohol left, they'd have to be specific for drivers if nothing else. You'll be grand, as will baby, who is fully formed anyway given you're so close to the finish line xx

MrsCrimshaw Thu 03-Dec-15 19:42:57

It's mince pie ice-cream not mince pies smile

And I would recommend it.

I'm being overly cautious as it's my first pregnancy. I'm sure with the next one I'll be more laid back. Think that's pretty normal!

Louise34567 Thu 03-Dec-15 20:39:49

MrsCrimshaw don't worry, I do get it. I accidentally had some white wine sauce the other day that the host didn't cook off at all, so it was essentially half a glass or so of pure white wine ... in its natural state. I felt awful afterwards but the my DH reassured me that it really won't make that much of a difference. Some people drink a glass here and there anyway throughout pregnancy. And a small amount like that won't do any damage. I just wanted to post to say you will be fine, but to also offer empathy about the comment. You are not being paranoid - you're a first-timer so it's natural to worry a little. I am a first-timer as well so can totally relate. smile

All the best for the rest of your pregnancy ... I hope it goes really well x

Kaytee1987 Thu 03-Dec-15 20:41:28

Tbh I don't think OP is worried she's done her baby any harm I read it as she was concerned it wasn't clear there was alcohol like labelled 'alcoholic icecream' although as it was in list of ingredients there's probably nothing else they should do. Sometimes you just post your thoughts here really without thinking all the details through - that's what's so good about mn smile xx

Kaytee1987 Thu 03-Dec-15 20:43:23

I think it's a bit mean to say she's boasting to be honest. She's just posting her thoughts about a product and the way it was labelled. Xx

iklboo Thu 03-Dec-15 20:46:52

Is the ingredient brandy or brandy flavouring? I've used brandy flavouring in cooking before & it was quite strong but no actual alcohol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now