Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Oops I just drank this

(32 Posts)
Gingerlady123 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:13:47

Just realised it says its unpasteurised. ! I never got told to avoid orange juice. Is this ok?

Gingerlady123 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:16:55

Just googled and got this

No, most unpasteurized juice is not safe, because your immune system is suppressed when you're pregnant. You should drink only pasteurized juice products unless the fruit is freshly washed and squeezed immediately before you drink it (as fresh orange juice often is).

What have I done sad

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Thu 03-Dec-15 14:18:53

I think it means that you are more likely to get ill from it than you would be if you weren't pregnant as your immune system is compromised. The baby will be fine.

sparechange Thu 03-Dec-15 14:19:17

Did you find that on a US site by any chance?

I can't imagine this has any more risk than eating an orange that has been sat in the fruit bowl for a few weeks.

I can't even work out what unpasteurised juice might have in it, other than tiny tiny levels of alcohol.

Gingerlady123 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:21:37

I found it on a uk site.
I suffer severe health anxiety and now feel really really worried.
It's not in my food list from the midwife to avoid fresh orange juice and I didn't see it until afterwards

Killairno Thu 03-Dec-15 14:21:47

You will be fine.
Juice is mostly pasteurised so it will stay fresh for longer, fresh orange juice is not a huge harbourer of bacteria.

Hope it was delicious.

Gingerlady123 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:22:01

I have a cold at the moment to. So I'm worried how easily I could catch it

GoApeShit Thu 03-Dec-15 14:39:15

You'll be fine.

GoApeShit Thu 03-Dec-15 14:39:47

(stop Googling)

TheSecondViola Thu 03-Dec-15 14:43:05

There is no reason at all the avoid commercially available fruit juice, pasteurised or not.
Don't take any US advice (and you can tell thats US advice from the spelling), its all ridiculous.

Farahilda Thu 03-Dec-15 14:46:48

The advice, in UK, is about raw milk and its products, because although rare it's the main way that people contract brucellosis from cows. And it's serious in PG as it often causes miscarriage.

Oranges do not suffer from brucellosis.

Canyouforgiveher Thu 03-Dec-15 14:49:15

Don't take any US advice (and you can tell thats US advice from the spelling), its all ridiculous.

lovely!

Canyouforgiveher Thu 03-Dec-15 14:50:16

oh and you're fine OP. It is guidelines/advice at best. There is nothing wrong with unpasturised juice.

LaPharisienne Thu 03-Dec-15 14:53:23

You name a forbidden food and I have eaten it (before I found out there was such a thing as food you're not supposed to eat while pregnant) if that makes you feel any better!

Pollyputhtekettleon Thu 03-Dec-15 14:53:59

Oh don't worry. Maybe you've gone from a chance in a million of getting diarrhoea to a chance in 900,000.

Gingerlady123 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:54:03

Thanks everyone.
Just checked again and yes it was a usa site I thought it said co.uk for some reason.

I have a rotten cold and feel awful as it is. I suffer from an anxiety disorder. I've spent my whole pregnancy thinking I'll loose this baby. I normally check what I eat but didn't as I didn't think about orange juice, the expiry date is tomorrow

sparechange Thu 03-Dec-15 15:03:55

The US sites are terrifying. I feel really sorry for anyone trying to follow the advice. You wouldn't be able to leave the house!

Hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly.

Have you read Expecting Better? It is a very good book and looks at the evidence behind the 'advice'. You might find it reassuring...

KatharinaRosalie Thu 03-Dec-15 15:06:37

Stop reading US sites. Honestly, I once wanted to know about some herbal tea in pregnancy, and ended up rocking in the corner, terrrified to get close to any kind of plants whatsoever.
You will be fine.

Gingerlady123 Thu 03-Dec-15 15:16:03

Thanks on the nhs I can only find this.

So I assume it's the American doctors scared of getting sued as its a private system over their ?

Also the list I got give is this

Blueturquoise Thu 03-Dec-15 15:22:46

I had fresh orange and apple juice most of he pregnancy.

I d say yo ll be fine don't worry !

madwomanbackintheattic Thu 03-Dec-15 15:27:42

Your anxiety is the problem, not the juice. Google ways to help you be less anxious instead (I bet one of them is to stop over-researching health advice)
and discuss your general anxiety with your midwife if it is getting out of control.

strawberryandaflake Thu 03-Dec-15 15:30:41

Relax. If you believe everything you read on the bet you'd starve or go crazy. The chances of you getting ill from orange juice don't increase because you're pregnant. Have you been ill from it before? No. Thought not.

Alb1 Thu 03-Dec-15 15:54:00

I'm sure it's fine, it's just like if you'd have squeezed your own orange juice at home surly? Wouldn't last as long as it's not pasteurised but it's perfectly fine. I compleatly understand the worry tho, a few days ago I bought a sandwich from a sandwich shop and on my last bite I spotted that a tiny bit of the grated cheese (cheddar) had mold on, nothing bad has happened but I'm still worrying about it now!

Pollyputhtekettleon Thu 03-Dec-15 16:59:33

Oh this pregnancy I've eaten mouldy bread, mouldy cheese on two occasions and gone off milk on a few occasions. Had plenty of all before realising. Seriously though, people need to stop reading all this 'must do' pregnancy and just live. Complications with an unborn baby due to a food item are so so rare. Rarer than getting hit by a but I bet.

originalusernamefail Thu 03-Dec-15 17:16:25

Try not to worry OP. If you followed ALL the conflicting dietary advice you wouldn't eat during pregnancy at all! I'm currently 35 weeks and this is my 2nd HG pregnancy (weeks 4-40 - lucky me!) and this baby is built entirely out of OJ and pickled onion monster munch. I particularly like the freshly squeezed stuff from my local farm shop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now